Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bros help me out with King Arthur

Holy Cow

so i'm finishg an old faith/rightful campaign on normal and all that sidhe door spam has made things manageable (i'm a terrible rts player, but there you go)

but now i'm gonna start a tyrant/christian campaign, and it seems i'll have to rely heavily on cavalry and heavy infantry. also, I intend to play it on hard. Any advices for not getting buttraped from the get go?

also, is weaker archers something worth taking (in the options) or is it just mostly irrelevant?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This is an odd one. I bought this game and I really like it. But I never finished it. Why? I seriously suck at it. Like I've never sucked at anything like this before. It's the only game in the world that I haven't finished simply because I suck at it. Some time after I take the first Stronghold I get anally but-raped Sidhe-armies twice the size of mine (and there are more of them that I have armies).

I play a Christian/Good king, and my cavalry is slaughtered by enemy spells.

The game is really, really fun, but man it would be so much more fun if it was turn-based :'(

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
When playing Christian, spell blocking abilities are your friends.

See Grunker? He didn't use spell-denying abilities despite having access to the best ones in game and failed miserably. You don't want to be like Grunker.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
When playing Christian, spell blocking abilities are your friends.

See Grunker? He didn't use spell-denying abilities despite having access to the best ones in game and failed miserably. You don't want to be like Grunker.

I did use them, I'm just crap at it. But even when I got them off okay, I was mauled by surperior numbers :)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
CRUSH THEIR SKULLS UNDER YOUR IRON TRACKS, obviously.

Seriously, when you meet unseelie warriors, you already have superpumped heroes with sangreal knights, knights of Elaine, raven guard and lionhearts. They are unstoppable.

Archers? I'm pretty sure deepwood archers are not attached to any specific morality, so you can use them for p. deadly effect. Maxed master longbowmen with cloud of arrows are also enough of a match for seelie archers.

Before you get superunits, you also have access to such cool stuff as brigands and marauders quite early as tyrant christian. They are excellent for their early availability and counter most mid-game stuff well.

Storm of avalon/stormborn cheese can be effectively countered by daylight/dragon's eye... and magic denial, too.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also you can get most magic heroes as a Christian too. Just pick good options at their quests, Dagobert is especially nice to have.

Magic rules in this game.

Monocause

Arcane
Well, perhaps I played an unpatched version of the game or sth but what made this different from the TW series is that I realised I could just press "end turn" before getting my first stronghold indefinitely, gain gold and XP at training camps indefinitely = gain massive strength while no one DoW'd me and none of the enemies did jack shit. Couldn't enjoy the game anymore really. Still, if you're having trouble you can stop rushing the first part of the game and build up your forces/heroes until you feel they're enough to deal with the stuff that comes at you later on.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
root said:
I meant more practical help, like heroes' builds and so forth

I thought my LP covered this, oh well. OK, are you grabbing King Mark? if so, you can simply give him Cleave and Lifesteal for cheap front line wrecker. If not, go for the evil Brothers at War quest. Dragon's Breath Champion is broken as fuck.

kay.jpg

Sir Kay should really focus on army movement bonuses artifacts, but can't afford to be a pushover in combat. I recommend alternating between Fight & Adventure...and use him for quests to keep him up to speed with the rest in Levels. Also, Masterful Tactics & Masterful Strategies are essential to keep your best army intact. Rain of Arrows are great too.

gar.jpg

Sir Gareth, is probably your go-to mage for some time. Christian magic doesn't really shine much, you'd better off taking the stock Dragon's Breath for quick victories and EXP gain, then pick the Mana gain per kill. Just keep him close to the front line with a Light Cavalry. A daylight/dragon's eye is also useful against Fog. Hold is also a worthy addition, it's a gamble whether it'll land on a magic resistant troop, but frozen ones are essentially free archer kills.

Now, what Christians are best at is pumping out heavy armored cavalry and ignore everything else. Your mileage may vary, but I find having infantry limit the troop response speed, and since you just need 3-4 archers...the rest should be filled with Sangreal / Saxon Knights ASAP.

14.jpg

The 4th Hero should be a Champion to quicken the rape. There's plenty of good candidates, but the earliest Champion you get is probably the DLC Champion with Hold spell. Max that Hold spell ASAP. Nothing like stopping an enemy charge with Hold and just arrow those fuckers down.

As for artifacts, eh...get HP for frontliners and Fight. Each point in Fight gives 5% HP anyway. Cleave bonuses is always awesome for additional kills. What I dislike most about KA is the how broken Champs are when he's totally focused on Cleave, so don't hold back. If you want full mileage on Cleave, max out the subskills too. +100% damage per strike, etc. They'll eat armies alive. I personally saw a lone Lifestealing Cleaver enemy hero slaying 40 before going down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom