Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bodyguards/Companions

bluecuracao

Novice
Hello,

maybe this has been asked before, but anyway: when i choose a non-fighter career (merchant for example), will i be able to hire some kind of permanent bodyguards that follow me around and protect me?

And if yes: will their equipment be upgradeable by me? Like, giving them new weapons or armor? And will they get better as the game progresses (level up with me, like in fallout 2)? Or is there some spot where i can buy them training to get better?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No. Playing a non-fighter who's followed by fighters is, basically, playing like a fighter only with less direct control. If you want to play as a non-combat character, you'd have to find non-combat ways - which the game has many - to navigate through quests and the game.

Every now and then though you may convince someone to use their brute force in your interest, but it will be applied only to whatever obstacle you may be faced in the moment and you won't be in control.

If you are a fighting man, however, then you'll be able to gain control over a gang of raiders. They won't follow you around, but you'll be able to use them against different targets.

From other threads:

Anyway, the example. Let's use a quest that's been mentioned many times before - rescuing a kidnapped noble. There are many ways to do it: assassinating the raiders' leader, negotiating ransom, scouting the area and giving the info to the guards, involving the Thieves Guild, etc. So, here is an option for a fighter:

- The prisoner. Hand him over now.
- Who the hell are you?
- *pull out your weapon* Hand the prisoner over now. I won't ask again.

[intimidation check based on your Str and highest weapon skill; the check determines how many raiders turn hostile. The leader will not submit, so the only difference is whether you are fighting him alone or him and six of his buddies.]

If there are raiders left (up to six):

- You follow *my* orders now.
- Why?
- You follow me or you follow him *point at the raiders' leader's dead body*. Your choice.
- What are your orders, captain?
- Practice offensive skills
or
- Practive defensive skills
or
- Practice infiltration tactics
or
- (give specific orders related to active quests). You can't recruit more raiders, so when you run out of them, it's over.

Dementia Praecox wrote:
Does the bolded part mean this is the only place in the game where you can recruit followers, these specific raiders, or is it part of the dialogue options?

No, what I meant is that you can get up to six raiders in this location and use them to wreck havoc, create diversions, etc until they die one by one. They are not followers and they will fight separately, living up to their non-player characters name.

Quote:
Anyway, I was aware of the player being able to have NPCs fighting along his side, but these practice-options are new to me. How do they work? To they just get better in that specific skill, or perhaps do I become better in that skill?

They get better, which means that they may live longer. You can also improve their equipment.

Quote:
What does infiltration tactics entail for them and my character?

Well, let's say you want them to storm a location, a small digging outpost, for example, guarded by soldiers, surrounded by a gate, etc. If the raiders fail the infiltration check, they will start at 8-square distance, will be noticed by the tower guard and will be hit by ranged weapons, so expect to lose a raider or two before you reach the gate. If they can inflitrate the outpost successfully, they will surprise the guards and gain a tactical advantage.

Quote:
And what consequences will it have for me if I order them to one thing over another?

You can train them for as long as you want. The longer they train, the better they are. Nobody lives forever though.

Quote:
How many different quests or tasks may I order them to take part in?

As many as you like.

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17675

bluecuracao

Novice
Playing a non-fighter who's followed by fighters is, basically, playing like a fighter only with less direct control.

Ok, that makes sense i guess. So there arn't any random fights in the game (like some robbers getting at me during travelling) which can't be avoided somehow.

Since i love followers (especially improving/caring for my little tools), i definately will play a fighter now on my first playthrough and try out that raider gang! Btw, for clarification: i will be able to fight alongside them during their raids, right? or is it played out automatically, without me taking part and i only get to watch the results?

Vault Dweller

Developer
bluecuracao said:
Ok, that makes sense i guess. So there arn't any random fights in the game (like some robbers getting at me during travelling) which can't be avoided somehow.
There are. Playing a non-combat character doesn't mean that you will never be in danger. You will and you will have to deal with it using skills you have at your disposal.

Marco Polo, for example, traveled all the way to China even though the roads of that time were "bandit-ridden". He managed to get a foot long golden tablet from Kublai Khan to ensure his safe travel home. The tablet had the Khan's seal and stated "Fuck not least you be fucked with!". Well, actually it said "By the strength of the eternal Heaven, holy be the Khan's name. Let him that pays him not reverence be killed.", but that's pretty much the same thing.

Btw, for clarification: i will be able to fight alongside them during their raids, right?
Yes.

Ladonna

Arcane
Marco Polo, for example, traveled all the way to China even though the roads of that time were "bandit-ridden". He managed to get a foot long golden tablet from Kublai Khan to ensure his safe travel home. The tablet had the Khan's seal and stated "Fuck not least you be fucked with!". Well, actually it said "By the strength of the eternal Heaven, holy be the Khan's name. Let him that pays him not reverence be killed.", but that's pretty much the same thing.

Did Marco travel alone?

Also, is it viable to flee from any battle and still find another way to the prize (Finish the quest)?

bluecuracao

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
There are. Playing a non-combat character doesn't mean that you will never be in danger. You will and you will have to deal with it using skills you have at your disposal.

Yeah, thats what i meant. Since i have no fighting skills, i will have to avoid the actual fighting somehow.

Vault Dweller said:
Btw, for clarification: i will be able to fight alongside them during their raids, right?
Yes.

Nice! I hope there are plenty of them raids! :D

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ladonna said:
Did Marco travel alone?
With his father and uncle. Quite a party by RPG standards, but hardly enough to scare away the bandits. Two more people who wanted to travel with them "left the party" due to their fears of the expedition.

Also, is it viable to flee from any battle and still find another way to the prize (Finish the quest)?
Yes.

Ladonna

Arcane
With his father and uncle. Quite a party by RPG standards, but hardly enough to scare away the bandits. Two more people who wanted to travel with them "left the party" due to their fears of the expedition.

Sounds like quite a story. Will have to check out the books on it. It should be interesting to see how those three made it through.

Also, good to see you have the bases covered for non fighter characters. I assume they have their own fun, if different, things to do when compared with the fighters raider party business?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yes.

Edit: If you like good stories, say hello to Richard Francis Burton, who spoke 25 languages and 15 dialects fluently and was a "master of disguise". He was the first westerner who infiltrated Mecca disguised as an arab (the punishment for that was death).
1821–90, English explorer, writer, and linguist. He joined (1842) the service of the East India Company and, while stationed in India, acquired a thorough knowledge of the Persian, Afghan, Hindustani, and Arabic languages. In 1853, in various disguises, he made a famous journey to Mecca and Medina, about which he wrote the vivid Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to El-Medinah and Meccah (3 vol., 1855–56). With John Speke he took a party to Somaliland; he alone, disguised as an Arab merchant, made the journey to Harar, Ethiopia, where he met with the local ruler. He went with Speke to uncharted E central Africa to discover the source of the Nile; he found Lake Tanganyika (1858) but abandoned the attempt to reach Lake Nyasa. After a visit to the United States, Burton published an account of the Mormon settlement at Utah in his City of the Saints (1861). While consul (1861–65) at Fernando Po (now Bioko), off W Africa, he explored the Bight of Biafra and conducted a mission to Dahomey, Benin, and the Gold Coast. He explored Santos, in Brazil, while consul (1865) there, and after crossing the continent wrote Explorations of the Highlands of Brazil (1869). After a short period (1869–71) as consul at Damascus he was consul (1872–90) at Trieste, where he died. His last years were devoted chiefly to literature. He published remarkable literal translations of Camões and of the Arabian Nights (16 vol., 1885–88).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom