Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard bans people cheating in Starcraft 2...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Blizzard said:
“If a StarCraft II player is found to be cheating or using hacks or modifications in any form, then as outlined in our end user license agreement, that player can be permanently banned from the game. This means that the player will be permanently unable to log in to Battle.net to play StarCraft II with his or her account,” Blizzard said in a recent statement.

“If a Battle.net account is banned, a player will no longer have access to the single and multiplayer content.”

Suck on that Kotick dick, Blizztards. You won't even be able to play singleplayer if they ban you for whatever reason. Wonder if you can get your Bnet account banned for trolling the shit out of Blizzard fanboys on their forums.

CrimHead

Scholar
Angthoron said:
Should've been just "Valve", since if we go and list the distributors, should be like "Blizzard and Blizzard online store"

Not really. Steam is something much bigger than a way for Valve to sell their games online.

Angthoron

Arcane
Much bigger? Not really. Sales platform + community platform + MP support (for some games). Steam is not an entity separate from Valve, however, and this was my point. It's part of the corporation - listing it separately is basically listing Valve twice.

Oh, and woops, I forgot that Blizzard has BNet. It's much lamer than Steam though - and oh man, I never expected I'd end up saying that. At least Steam lets people do whatever they want in terms of mem editors and such.

Micmu

Magister
Star Shit 2 isn't even "DRM game". It's half-way online service/fat client game. Skirmish vs. AI only via their server? No LAN? For same money as proper games? This isn't MMO yet it is... Holy fuck, now all what they need is a monthly fee for single player.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's a new day and suddenly all the Blizzard fanboys are running to forums to defend this shit. "The integrity of the achievements is as important as the integrity of the gold system in an MMO" someone said.

Smiling all the way to hell, we are.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
DalekFlay said:
Konjad said:
CrimHead said:
DalekFlay said:
"play the game exactly as we tell you or we ban you!" How is that PC gaming?

, Valve, and Steam

:retarded:

A central platform controlled by one company who decide what they sell and what they don't, DLC, the "casualizing" of TF2... I can see what he means.

I actually debated with someone once that the DRM aspect of Steam bothers me less than the simple fact that they are becoming synonymous with PC gaming, tons of people will look nowhere else. One day it will be true that to have a successful game you need to be on Steam, if it isn't already. That is VERY console-style, where Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo decide what you can put on their platform.

What utter fucking bullshit. Where do you retards come up with this shit?

Steam is completely different to battle.net or ubisoft's online DRM shitstorms. For 99.9% of the games purchased on steam, you only need to be online at the time of registration - that's it - then you can pull your fucking network cable if you want... steam will just go into offline mode. You can also mod, hack, use trainers and even crack to your hearts content.

Also:
A central platform controlled by one company who decide what they sell and what they don't

It's a retail digital distribution system. A digital store - if you will. No different to a 'Bricks an Mortar' store like EB, or GS, sans the box. What shop doesn't descide what they sell and what they don't??. For fucks sake... :x

MetalCraze

Arcane
micmu said:
Holy fuck, now all what they need is a monthly fee for single player.

Actually they have one - in this region if you didn't buy the $60 version you have to pay them $30 every 3 months or something like that - to play single-player too yes

Luzur

Good Sir
Ed123 said:
Best trainer I ever used was for GTA: San Andreas. It could do pretty much anything, like spawn a car full of gangsters to start chasing you at the press of a button.

:love:

i remember building walls of tanks.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
AlaCarcuss said:
It's a retail digital distribution system. A digital store - if you will. No different to a 'Bricks an Mortar' store like EB, or GS, sans the box. What shop doesn't descide what they sell and what they don't??. For fucks sake... :x

If you read the actual post the point is that Steam has turned into the sort of be-all-end-all of PC gaming. When people refer to PC gaming Steam is always part of the conversation. Tons of people only buy games there, no Steam release no purchase. It creates an atmosphere of "get on Steam or no one cares" which gives off a very console-style vibe since Microsoft and Sony control what shows up on those platforms.

I never said they shouldn't be able to make those choices, I just said having every fucking AAA PC game be a Steamworks game contributes to the "Steam or die" atmosphere which is similar to consoles. I never even went into the DRM discussion either so I have no idea what that fucking rant was about. Yes, Steam DRM is better than battlenet or Ubisoft, I agree... still DRM though, still pointless. Should be optional if Valve actually want to please customers like they say they do.

Anyway I didn't even make the fucking comment about it, I just tried to assume his reasoning. Jump his shit.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
DalekFlay said:
AlaCarcuss said:

If you read the actual post the point is that Steam has turned into the sort of be-all-end-all of PC gaming. When people refer to PC gaming Steam is always part of the conversation. Tons of people only buy games there, no Steam release no purchase. It creates an atmosphere of "get on Steam or no one cares" which gives off a very console-style vibe since Microsoft and Sony control what shows up on those platforms.

I never said they shouldn't be able to make those choices, I just said having every fucking AAA PC game be a Steamworks game contributes to the "Steam or die" atmosphere which is similar to consoles. I never even went into the DRM discussion either so I have no idea what that fucking rant was about. Yes, Steam DRM is better than battlenet or Ubisoft, I agree... still DRM though, still pointless. Should be optional if Valve actually want to please customers like they say they do.

Anyway I didn't even make the fucking comment about it, I just tried to assume his reasoning. Jump his shit.

Ok, I apologise. I thought you were agreeing with the general sentiment of this thread and lumping Valve/Steam in with fucking Ubii/Acti/Bliz et al.

Though, the simple reason steam is so successful is - it works and it's very convienient. Also, the games are dirt cheap compared to B&M (especially here in Aussie, where games cost twice as much) - and when on sale, ridiculously so. DRM is here to stay I'm afraid - steam has nothing to do with that, if a publisher want's to release a game DRM free on steam they are free to do so.

I find the DRM system on steam to be the most inobtrusive (unobtrusive?) of all frankly, and that is also shown by how easy it is to crack. Of course DRM free everything would be ideal - but that's never going to happen and as I said - Valve don't make the rules - the publisher's do.

Multi-headed Cow

DalekFlay said:
I never said they shouldn't be able to make those choices, I just said having every fucking AAA PC game be a Steamworks game contributes to the "Steam or die" atmosphere which is similar to consoles.
To be fair, your concern there is less an issue for AAA games since they could sell themselves on Steam without Steamworks, and could even use Steam achievements and Cloud without Steamworks IIRC. The big draw of Steamworks is matchmaking for multiplayer and being able to register your retail copy on Steam. The ones that would be hurt most by Steam not accepting them would be indie games, but considering indie games weren't exactly booming business for the most part before Steam, they're just at a disadvantage compared to their luckier on-Steam brethren.

chzr

Erudite
AlaCarcuss said:
DalekFlay said:
Konjad said:
CrimHead said:
DalekFlay said:
"play the game exactly as we tell you or we ban you!" How is that PC gaming?

, Valve, and Steam

:retarded:

A central platform controlled by one company who decide what they sell and what they don't, DLC, the "casualizing" of TF2... I can see what he means.

I actually debated with someone once that the DRM aspect of Steam bothers me less than the simple fact that they are becoming synonymous with PC gaming, tons of people will look nowhere else. One day it will be true that to have a successful game you need to be on Steam, if it isn't already. That is VERY console-style, where Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo decide what you can put on their platform.

What utter fucking bullshit. Where do you retards come up with this shit?

Steam is completely different to battle.net or ubisoft's online DRM shitstorms. For 99.9% of the games purchased on steam, you only need to be online at the time of registration - that's it - then you can pull your fucking network cable if you want... steam will just go into offline mode. You can also mod, hack, use trainers and even crack to your hearts content.

yea, they totally didn't force auto-update mafia 2 demo 2 days before release to 'fix' removed 10min. limits

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom