Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Blackmore, menu-based steampunk adventure game set in Victorian London

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iqioi/blackmore-a-steampunk-adventure-game

Blackmore is a point-and-click/menu adventure game set in steampunk London. It looks pretty interesting, but I'm not backing it just yet because they don't even seem to have any in-game screens or gameplay videos. Still, it's something to maybe keep an eye on.

It also features a high-tech monocle as one of the player character's gadgets.

The Team

Jeremy Blaustein (Snatcher, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill), a master storyteller, an ace at writing great dialog and a voice director that brings out the best from actors, will lead the team. Satoshi Yoshioka (Snatcher, Policenauts), with his distinctive and immediately recognizable awesome Japanese style will be spearheading the character design and Motoaki Furukawa (Gradius, Snatcher), one of the game industry's most experienced game music composers will handle the original music to further enhance the strong Japanese aesthetics.

Platforms: Blackmore will be developed first for PC and Mac and will be made available on Steam and other DRM-free digital download distribution methods. Home consoles are also a high priority, but only if we can afford them via stretch goals.

Blackmore is a steampunk-themed adventure game set in an alternate universe of Victorian era London in 1888.

Imagine an alternative London in the Victorian Era - a world where European and Asian fashion and aesthetics collide, a world where advances in automation, electronics and chemistry have ushered in a wondrous new world filled with robotic servants, steam-driven transportation and ornately gilded steampunk gadgetry. But as wondrous as it may appear, all that gleaming steel and burnished brass hides an underbelly tainted by rust and tarnished with grime. It's a world where homeless children beg for food, their hands yellowed and stained from toiling in the match factory, a world where families sleep crowded together in rat-infested rooms, a world choking to death on its own gluttonous greed.

Gameplay

I'm guessing most of you are familiar with the style of gameplay in adventure games, but let me take a moment to describe it for those of you who are not. In Blackmore, the main character, Emma, along with Descartes, will be moving from area to area searching for clues, asking questions and solving puzzles via a mouse-click menu system. All of this will be presented within a gorgeously drawn isometric 2.5D environment.

Whether or not you advance in the game will depend on how quickly you can pick up on the various clues and on how well you employ the tools at your disposal. Emma, being not only a trained doctor but also the daughter of a noted inventor, has a number of tools and gadgets at her disposal. The most sophisticated of these is a high-tech monocle equipped with a variety of technologies including the ability to take photographs. It also gives her the ability to use other forensic techniques that can reveal things not at first visible to the naked eye.

Incidentally, all the photos you take will be, of course, hand-drawn closeups of objects or characters seen from Emma's perspective and will be stored in the game's memory and made available for viewing anytime. Emma will be assisted by her mechanical companion, Descartes, who can perform various tasks suitable to a robotic sidekick of his diminutive proportions. Think of him as a combination guide, partner, comic relief and multi-tool.

Blackmore features:
  • Highly detailed rendered 2.5D isometric graphics
  • Classic point and click/menu mechanics
  • A powerful orchestral soundtrack written and performed by Motoaki Furukawa, a Konami musical legend
  • Classic Japanese art-style drawn by veteran Konami artist, Satoshi Yoshioka, who has worked on such hits as Snatcher and Policenauts
  • A compelling story and script written by Jeremy Blaustein, the man behind the English Snatcher, Metal Gear Solid, the Silent Hill series, Shadow Hearts, Suikoden 2 and many more.
  • Top voice actors such as David Hayter, Jeff Lupetin and others directed by Jeremy Blaustein

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks neat. I backed at the $20 level. I think 20/25 as the lowest tier might be too high for a relatively unknown guy.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Whoa, I like everything about this game, but everything we have is just on paper. Not even a mockup of the idea. I'll probably back this but it seems like the KS campaign needed more work all around.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Emma will be assisted by her mechanical companion, Descartes, who can perform various tasks suitable to a robotic sidekick of his diminutive proportions. Think of him as a combination guide, partner, comic relief and multi-tool.

Putting aside the (possibly meaningless) name-drop of Descartes, this whole thing seems like a standard adventure game that relies on a generic steampunk setting and notable development crew to get its backers. I'm not backing it just yet, and I'm not expecting to be impressed when actual footage or screenshots are reveled. I like adventure games a lot, but this doesn't stand out at all so far.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Ritchie Blackmore called. He wants his name and Gothic Script back.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So the main writer and designer for an adventure game hasn't actually written or designed any adventure games, he's a translator (and not for adventure games!). And I dunno if claiming credit for the Valkyrie Profile english translation is really such a good idea.
001.jpg

Divine assault guy oh man

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
As I understand, Satoshi Yoshioka is not the character designer of Snatcher. He was one of artists and did character designs of 2011 radio play prequel SDATCHER.

Snatcher was a complete rip off of Blade Runner, even the main character has a resemblance to H.Ford

The story was a bit different and well crafted though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom