Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware lulz

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/b ... from-games

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/doctors-on-call

BioWare's founders believe that soon mainstream blockbuster games could drop the reliance on combat and violence to attract players.

After they milk the LCD with Dragon Age, of course.

"We talk a certain amount internally about whether you need to have combat as part of the experience. Are there possibilities to actually start separating pieces of the game and actually tailor it to the audience?" said Zeschuk, creative officer of BioWare. "Certainly the core gaming experience, folks that are used to playing games over the last ten years, they want to have those battle moments, and the fighting. But there are different audiences that would maybe just enjoy the story.

"I think it's actually possible. I think the interesting thing about it too is I don't know if it's even necessarily a technology thing. I think once we've got the breadth of audience available to us, there could be really good opportunities created by different people coming to games that are story-driven.

:boggled:

I think it's an exciting concept. It's nice to know that your choices have consequences, and that's something that BioWare has been trying to put into all its games as well. We want the player to feel like their choices have momentous impact on a personal level and on a grand level as well. So that makes the world feel that much more alive and interactive and fulfilling.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Q: I guess what I'm getting at is, when do we get to the point where there's for example a romantic, story-driven game on a sort of AAA scale?
Greg Zeschuk: That's a great question. I think we're actually getting to the point where the acting is almost there.
The writing has to be there too, Greg.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Q: I guess what I'm getting at is, when do we get to the point where there's for example a romantic, story-driven game on a sort of AAA scale?

Uh... Final Fantasy 7?

random newfag

Novice
I don't see what is wrong with this assessment from the good doctors about how their games can be story based only. I mean, it's not like they had combat within the games in the first place right?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
RK47 said:

Uh... Final Fantasy 7?

Wait, there was romance in that game after the pseudo-date at that resort thingie?

Story driven? Yes.

AAA scale? Yes.

Romantic? Not really.

Story made sense? Hell no.

While FF7 is a decent example, a better example would be Anachronox. Despite 1/3 of the game's story is missing. Of course, there isn't much romance there either, but we get to see the fallout from several failed ones.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Stupid assholes should be skinned alive for so much stupidity.

The word "innovashun!" and it's derivatives should be filtered on the codex with something colorful and gay.

RK47

Patron
Mass Effect 1 : Choices

Insert $60 for Consequences

Mass Effect 2 : Consequences

Awesome!

Mackerel

Augur
RK47 said:

Uh... Final Fantasy 7?
Wasn't FF8 the "romantic" one?

RK47 said:
Mass Effect 1 : Choices

Insert $60 for Consequences

Mass Effect 2 : Consequences

Awesome!
:lol: You might be giving them too much credit there though.

Also, if ME1 is Choices and ME2 is the Consequences, then what will ME3 be?

bhlaab

Erudite
I just can't imagine some sort of crazy upside down rpg where you can complete objectives without resorting to combat.

racofer

Thread Incliner
bhlaab said:
I just can't imagine some sort of crazy upside down rpg where you can complete objectives without resorting to combat.

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID COMBAT IN BIOWHORE.

Mackerel

Augur
bhlaab said:
Yeah, I don't know why they just wouldn't make it an option to avoid combat if you wanted to for once, instead of removing it completely. There would have to be some form of conflict present to make it an actual game.

I just don't see a combatless romantic RPG being anything other than a 3D dating sim.

RK47

Patron
One of these days I'm gonna do a LP on a 2D dating sim where you simply can't fail a dialogue check as long as you know which option to pick.

Combatless. Romantic. RPG.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Sims 3 !

Black

Arcane
You know, when you say "bioware" then "lulz" is already redundant.

obediah

Erudite
when do we get to the point where there's for example a romantic, story-driven game on a sort of AAA scale?

Hah! As soon as they began questioning the necessity of combat, I knew they were going for a dating sim.

They should just move to Japan, where they can rely on poorly written dialog, romance, and choices with dirty picture consequences and do fine.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, in general I don't mind the idea. Wouldn't be a game for me but Bioware have been moving away from that for years now. So I don't really care. I just wish they'd get combat right for once before giving up on it like little bitches.

Micmu

Magister
I hope they'll have some hawt green alien chicks in the next game (and therefore Let's play).
Blue - not hot.

BearBomber

Scholar
So the guy who said that Bioware is going to make western hentai game was right? World is a strange place.

JrK

Prophet
So why are they trying to please us? We're about the only internet phenomena that uses C&C as a term. Why is it popping up? Have we inadvertently created another buzzword?

-Pavlos-

Novice
BearBomber said:
So the guy who said that Bioware is going to make western hentai game was right? World is a strange place.
Obsidian might get there first, you know. What with the "bag every chick in the game!" feature that's found its way into Alpha Protocol.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
-Pavlos- said:
BearBomber said:
Obsidian might get there first, you know. What with the "bag every chick in the game!" feature that's found its way into Alpha Protocol.
Nah. Bioware will do it first and then Obsidian will gladly eat up their sloppy seconds, as usual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom