Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Best Zelda

Best Zelda

• Total voters

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I will forever say Majora's Mask is the best.

Second best is the original Zelda.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Because if you haven't played before you can't go directly to the 3-4 caves that give you a shitton of cash, nor can you manipulate the RNG to give you free bombs whenever you need them. So you use all your bombs blowing up random walls that may or may not contain caves that may or may not give you money that may or may not be worth more than the cost of the bombs. Then you run out of cash and bombs and have to kill a ton of enemies to start the process again.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Because if you haven't played before you can't go directly to the 3-4 caves that give you a shitton of cash, nor can you manipulate the RNG to give you free bombs whenever you need them. So you use all your bombs blowing up random walls that may or may not contain caves that may or may not give you money that may or may not be worth more than the cost of the bombs. Then you run out of cash and bombs and have to kill a ton of enemies to start the process again.

Or you can just... play the game.

There's no need to grind.

git gud

Damned Registrations

That is playing the game though. Again, have you people actually played these games? You need to blow up random walls to find things like the lantern and meat and bracelet. Hell, you need to do that to find a bunch of the dungeons. If you just 'play the game' you'll get to like 2 or 3 dungeons, find like 3-4 caves with nothing worthwhile, run out of bombs and have nowhere else to explore. Honestly you'll probably have that problem anyways because of the questionable translation/hints about where/how to find the later dungeons. The map would help with that quite a bit I assume, but I never had it.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, I need to resume my current playthrough with the map. I don't know if I'll play Zelda 2 but I want to finish Zelda 1 before seriously playing A Link To The Past.

boot

Prophet
There are a lot of good overhead-view Zeldas but none are at all like 2. It's definitely worth playing, strong recommendation you spend 30 minutes in the first temple at least.

Have you played LA or Seasons/Ages? They're at least as good as LttP

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The "random walls" are deductible (Mostly in dungeons), and aren't crucial to beat the game.

Jason Liang

Arcane
"Grinding" applies to rpgs like Dragon Warrior or Wizardry, or MMOs like WoW. It doesn't apply to the first two Zeldas. If you develop your play skills like any other arcade game (like Mario or Contra) you don't need to waste time dirdling.

Tripicus

Augur
There was some meat under a Armos statue, incidentally the cheapest meat in the game. Just like the power bracelet was under a statue too. And the blue candle could easily be bought in a shop with a visible entrance. The red was in a dungeon.

Of the dungeons number 4 required a raft, 7 the flute, 8 the candle, and 9 required bombs. The rest have no entrances requiring items.

The greatest grinding a first time player is likely going to put themselves through will largely be for health potions and the blue ring.

The second quest is a different story, and my memory is shaky on that one.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
You could try all your objects to pass the Goriya, that's the logic when you don't have any clue, the food isn't so difficult to find or at least I don't remember having problems with that.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There was some meat under a Armos statue, incidentally the cheapest meat in the game. Just like the power bracelet was under a statue too. And the blue candle could easily be bought in a shop with a visible entrance. The red was in a dungeon.

Of the dungeons number 4 required a raft, 7 the flute, 8 the candle, and 9 required bombs. The rest have no entrances requiring items.

The greatest grinding a first time player is likely going to put themselves through will largely be for health potions and the blue ring.
It's been a long time since I played, but I recall major grinding with regard to finding entrances in trees that needed to be burned (one dungeon, a couple shops, which I guess are optional, and a couple heart containers). There was also a fair bit of that with bombing, but the candles were the worst because you could only burn one tree at a time, then had to leave and reenter. Most of the grinding on Zelda was intrinsically fun -- massing ghosts in the graveyard for maximal reward, for example -- but the candle stuff definitely was not. It's true that you could get the Red Candle before you had to burn the entrance to the Eighth Dungeon, but that required some degree of meta-gaming. With the right outside knowledge you might not have needed to grind, but I'd be stunned if any kids playing the game in the 80s actually beat it without grinding (painstakingly burning, bombing, etc.). That was part of the game's appeal, though -- the sense that there could be something interesting anywhere to be found. If anything, the game suffered from not having more exploratory options with other items like the raft and step-ladder.

I wonder how many kids actually played the game without some kind of outside knowledge though. Maybe we just got to Zelda late in the day, but I remember neighbors having told us, for example, about needing the silver arrow. I think if you had no outside knowledge, the game would've been even more frustrating/prone to grinding, though probably more satisfying too.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Part of the fun those days was to share the discoveries with friends, I remember very well that most of the tricks I learned in games were from cousins and classmates. Internet was somekind of a privilege in Third World so that was the only way or the magazines.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Old school sensibilities: Players were expected to share key findings about the game world with their fellow players, not to discover everything on their own. This was particularly true of the adventure game genre (and Legend of Zelda was referred to as an "action-adventure" game at the time) but not limited to just one genre.

Also, there was no expectation of every player being able to complete every game. Victory in a game was often quite a challenge.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

They were also expected to explore games exhaustively. Talk to everyone repeatedly until they'd repeated all their dialogue, search every possible tile, use every item in every place, etc. Games were small enough that such things could be done back then.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The thing about Zelda that I'll still never be sure of is who came up with the idea of "your money or your life" -- it's so out of sync with the rest of the game. Did anyone ever not restart if they hit a room like that without the rupees to cover?

Exhuminator

Arcane
I've played every console and handheld Zelda since the very first all the way through Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds. After all of that, I believe A Link to the Past is the best 2D Zelda, Oracle of Ages is the best handheld Zelda, and Twilight Princess is the best 3D Zelda. Ultimately though the very best Zelda overall is A Link to the Past.

---

Arcane
I've played every console and handheld Zelda since the very first all the way through Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds. After all of that, I believe A Link to the Past is the best 2D Zelda, Link's Awakening is the best handheld Zelda, and Majora's Mask is the best 3D Zelda. Ultimately though the very best Zelda overall is A Link to the Past.
Agree.

Ivan

Arcane
Played A Link to the Past as an adult (emulators) and found it very meh. It's the only 2d Zelda I've played.

Exhuminator

Arcane
Probably a matter of perspective for me. I played ALttP back when it released in 1992. At that time it was a major achievement to experience, taking everything great about the original LoZ and evolving it significantly. It could be a "you had to be there" case, I don't know. Maybe I'm just old and nostalgic, but I believe ALttP is a master class of great design.

funkadelik

Arcane
I played A Link to the Past completely in French because at that time I was a young kid and I would stock the Trade-A-Game shelves for a free game. They would only allow me to pick cheaper games though and since it was a foreign language version it was cheap. I didn't even need to know what was being said and the game was a blast and played it many times. It wasn't until years later when emulators became a thing that I replayed it in English and it was still massive amounts of fun. Sadly after the N64, Zelda really hasn't been as alluring as it once was. Even it has suffered from the decline of casualness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom