Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best way to play Terror From The Deep?

Heresiarch

Prophet
For now, XCOM1 with XCOM Extender works perfect for me. Normal game speed (scrolling speed, weapon fire speed, animation speed etc), perfectly scaled resolution, great MP3 music and all.

But with TFTD, I just can't find a good way to play it half decently on my PC. The TFTD CE with the fixed exe used to work fine for me years ago, but apparently dual core CPU can't handle it well today, everything runs just too damn fast. I've downloaded the DOS version and it works even worse. It seems there's no XCOM Extender for TFTD, and Xcomutil doesn't seem to fix the speed problem either.

Anyone can give a guide to run the game as good as EU with Extender? Especially to those guys ran/running the LP of TFTD, what kind of environment are you using to play the game?

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
you can use either dosbox or there was a utility a while ago called like "slowcpu" that went something like

slowcpu xxxx yyyyyyy

xxxx = cpu speed
yyyy= path to program

it was on the ultima collection cds

korenzel

Educated
I used DosBox 0.74 for the LP, with fixed CPU cycles set to 40000.
Scrolling Speed is at 2, Fire Speed at 1, Soldier Speed at 5 and Alien Speed at 2, it worked well enough.

Note that you will get performance issues with multi level maps, especially those with 4 different levels, most notably the game will be very slow on the upper levels.

kyrub

Augur
I thought he meant too quick Geoscape. But it's not exactly clear from the opening post.

Xusilak started to work on reproducing Extender for TFTD. He said he was partially succesful. You may try the patcher from this page.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom