Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Best Modern 4X Space game

Best 4X Space game since MoO 2?

• Galactic Civilizations II

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Galactic Civilizations III

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Endless Space

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Stardrive

• Stardrive 2

• Empire Earth II

• Space Empires V

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Distant Worlds: Universe

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Star Ruler 2

• Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Sins of a Solar Empire

• Sword of the Stars

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Go play Master of Orion 2, you faggot (kingcomrade)

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

Villagkouras

Arcane
I'm in the mood for 4X space game, but I don't have the time to try them all until I find "it".

So, I made a poll, I know how much Codex loves polls. Look, I even put Kingcomrade option, without knowing what the hell this means.

I'll be obliged if anyone who votes writes why he votes each game.

Obviously, I didn't include the MoO 2 aka the Holy Grail in the list and that's why I ask about the best modern 4X space game.

Raapys

Arcane
MoO1, MoO3, Distant Worlds or Space Empires 4.

Most of the shit on your list barely qualifies as 4x.

DramaticPopcorn

As much as I hate to admit it, Endless Space is probably the best one out of the bunch. Galactic Civ is fun only when you design ships and after that it's just incredibly dull bore of building up your fleet and slowly dredging through huge maps, skipping turn after turn after turnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Endless Space has shit AI and ship design is severly lacking but all in all it's pretty solid. A MoO-lite.. very lite.

Stardrive 1 is pretty non-conventional and had potential but the AI is pretty terrible and it feels simply unfinished. Stardrive 2 suffers from AI to a much worse extent and it will be far too often that you will keep running into stacks of low-tier ships while you outgun every race with one or two fleets.

Space Empires 5 is potentially good but crashed too often for me and I dropped it and never looked back.

Some people frequently suggest Distant Worlds, but it's just not my cup of tea, Star Ruler 2 is a lulzy logistics simulator, I didn't find any compelling gameplay there.

P.S. Inclusion of Empire Earth 2 is wut. :M

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GalCiv2 imo since after all patches and expansions and whatever it actually provided a decent enemy AI. Certainly exploitable when you get experienced but pretty good for a 4X which is sadly rare..

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Endless Space has its obvious problems, but it still manages to be a slightly enjoyable game despite the flaws. Star Drive just plain sucks and I've only played GalCiv 3 within the series and so I can't compare to the previous games, but I thought it was okay. I've only tried it when it was still in EA and it should be a better game now, but idk.

The bottom line is that none of these games had turn based strategic combat and you should stick to MoO. Lazy cunts.

Destroid

Arcane
It's nice that there's some diversity of opinion, but sad to look over such a large list and I'd still rather play MoO or MoO2 than any of the others.

Eyeball

Arcane
Speaking of which, Beyond Earth is F2P this weekend. Gonna give it a go despite it quite obviously being a load of pisswank.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Endless Space. The DumbfuckDex says it has no "soul" which I've learned in a recent thread means kewl kombat animations. :retarded: But seriously, battles in that game do suck in case you ever wanted to fight them tactically, you can't. Graphically, sound, art design, mechanics etc are the best of the list. Most of the negative reviews come from people who played the game at launch but it has been hugely expanded and patched since then.

If you do want combat focus, it's Sword of the Stars. Or Stardrive (1). Stardrive 2 is a dumbed down piece of shit. First one has by far the best ship designer in any 4X game to date if that's your thing.

Last edited:

fastjack

Augur
I voted Space Empires 5 in protest over the fact that I couldn't vote SE4, so ignore one SE5 vote and imagine it is for SE4, in fact ignore all SE5 votes since afaik that game is still pure broken crap (unlike SE4 which was good).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sword of the Stars or Endless Space.
Also the list does not have Birth of the Federation which is a legend in its own right.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
At the time of writing this Endless Space and Distant Worlds are tied and I really wonder why. In comparison Endless Space is like a cheap mobile shovelware clone. Distant Worlds is the clear winner in my book, it has both character and depth which Endless Space is severely lacking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom