Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best HoI 2 and AoD mods?

Garm

Learned
Hey so I just bought HoI 2 and AoD off steam since they were both $4.50....so what are the good mods? I already have read Cassidy's LPs using the Fallout and modern day mods so I'm gonna get those and I downloaded Kaiserreich since it looked interesting. Any other HoI 2 mods that are good? As for AoD, I have no idea since I haven't looked yet and still have to install it.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Very tasteless. There is only one AoD!

Good HoI2 mods are being sold as addons.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Destroid said:
I found the Modern Day mod to be pretty average, I'd skip it honestly.

Alas, all MDS were bad in Pdox games. You need unique mechanics to represent modern days...

DAIM was a very good AI modification for HoI2. Then there are mega mods - Kaiserreich, Flames of War, C.O.R.E., Total Realism Mod (dunno if this one is updated).

Garm

Learned
Malakal said:
Destroid said:

Alas, all MDS were bad in Pdox games. You need unique mechanics to represent modern days...

DAIM was a very good AI modification for HoI2. Then there are mega mods - Kaiserreich, Flames of War, C.O.R.E., Total Realism Mod (dunno if this one is updated).

Well that sucks to hear that about the Modern Day mod...I was hoping that would be good. Has Paradox ever given a reason why they haven't made a game that runs from 1940s-now? It'd be awesome to play a Cold War-era HoI. I wouldn't care if it wasn't historical...I'd just like some updated tech trees and new countries.

And judging from the other comments it looks like Kaiserreich was the way to go, glad I got that one. My only gripe is just the pacing of fighting...is it the mod or is it just a HoI 2 mechanic where movement takes forever. Terrain seems to have much more impact than in HoI 3, same with organization...really annoying trying to take a hilly or mountainous area, since I can defeat the enemy and they have enough to to retreat and come back before I get to it.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are many difficulties when creating a modern day game. First of all the importance of war has to be greatly reduced, what with nuclear weapons and MAD. The game should be an economic/political game, and this is boring for most players (ie lack of good target groups).

I would really like a good modern day game too, but alas, no "major" (as major as Paradox at least) developer will make it.

Destroid

Arcane
Garm said:
Malakal said:
Destroid said:

Well that sucks to hear that about the Modern Day mod...I was hoping that would be good. Has Paradox ever given a reason why they haven't made a game that runs from 1940s-now? It'd be awesome to play a Cold War-era HoI. I wouldn't care if it wasn't historical...I'd just like some updated tech trees and new countries.

And judging from the other comments it looks like Kaiserreich was the way to go, glad I got that one. My only gripe is just the pacing of fighting...is it the mod or is it just a HoI 2 mechanic where movement takes forever. Terrain seems to have much more impact than in HoI 3, same with organization...really annoying trying to take a hilly or mountainous area, since I can defeat the enemy and they have enough to to retreat and come back before I get to it.

I believe Paradox are publishing such a game that will be out soonish (you can probably find the news in the strategy news section) but I don't recall it's name. Maybe global something, something about globes?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom