Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Driving/Racing Games

CreamyBlood

Arcane
A friend just gave me an old wheel/pedals combo and I installed Toca Race Driver 3. I'm not too good at it but figured that since this was a playstaion 2 game there might be something better.

I'm not a big Forumal 1/Nascar fan but driving can be fun. Usually the PC sucks for racing as a joystick, keyboard or mouse aren't very good controls. Now that I have wheel I want to try something out.

The last driving game that I played and really enjoyed was Interstate '76 but I highly doubt there's anything like that anymore. We also played Carmageddon, both of those with a wheel.

My comp is around 2007 hardware-wise so I imagine it can play any modern driving game
as they're all developed for consoles. If I'm just driving around I might as well go for pretty graphics although gameplay would be my focus. Any suggestions?

FaChoi

Educated
GRID wasn't bad its basically toca 4. p. sure it uses the same engine as DIRT and i think has some fancy DX support. Gameplay wise it's all :decline: just play Carmageddon TDR2000 with lodsa add ons and mods least its fun.

racofer

Thread Incliner
FaChoi said:
...just play Carmageddon TDR2000 with lodsa add ons and mods least its fun.

Please, list your recommended ones in here. I would love to have some carmageddon fun once more.

FaChoi

Educated
I Havent played it in many years, just found my disc for it a couple of days ago and remembered all the fun of running over gimps and ramming chearleaders outta windows two floors up. At the time i mostly just added extra cars to the game and tweeked them to my liking but there was tons of other add on shit. So google must be your mod finding friend.

Edit ;http://www.cwaboard.com seems like a good place to start, seen quite a few furry pedestians that can meet radiator grill on there

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
GRiD is the only racing game I've enojyed since Carmageddon and Destruction Derby. Granted, I'm not big on racing sims in the first place. GRiD and DiRT respectively do seem to offer a fairly broad selection of tracks, vehicles and game modes though. And as an idiot who doesn't even have a drivers license, I found GRiD's popamole(ish) rewind feature a godsend. Essentially, if you crash horribly, you can enable the option to rewind the game a few seconds and try again. Starting out, it was very instructive for me when trying to figure out exactly when to break before a corner to avoid flying off the road.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Try Flatout, I normally never like racing games (apart from Carmageddon of course) but Flatout is great fun - especially since you can ram the other racers to shit without your car instantly getting wrecked.

There's three of them for PC, but FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage is just an 'enhanced remake' of Flatout 2, so either start from Flatout 1 and then get UC, or just UC.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Carmageddon, Flatout, NFS: Hot Pursuit

There's a sequel to Hot Pursuit being released soon I think.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
In order of incline:

If you like simulations:

netKar
iRacing
rFactor
GTLegends
GTR2
richard burns rally

If you like semi-simulations:
Live4Speed
NFS:Shift

If you like arcade shit:
GRID
Test Drive Unlimited
Burnout Paradise

On a side note: does anybody knows a good off-road game? The last good one a know of was Screamer4x4...

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
FaChoi said:
GRID wasn't bad its basically toca 4. p. sure it uses the same engine as DIRT and i think has some fancy DX support. Gameplay wise it's all :decline: just play Carmageddon TDR2000 with lodsa add ons and mods least its fun.
TDR2k? I found it utterly terrible - no real fun, unimaginative cars, hard time limit which made map exploration unavailable. Part 2 was so much better. No idea about the mods, though, maybe they've fixed it.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure I'll get into driving as much as I do flight sims, but I need to try something different.

For the sims I'm leaning towards GTR2 and Richard Burns Rally.

And for the aracde side I'm thinking of GRID and Flatout 2 UC.

I'll probably install Interstate '76 and some version of a Carmageddon for the nostalgia factor later.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
CreamyBlood said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure I'll get into driving as much as I do flight sims, but I need to try something different.

For the sims I'm leaning towards GTR2 and Richard Burns Rally.

And for the aracde side I'm thinking of GRID and Flatout 2 UC.

I'll probably install Interstate '76 and some version of a Carmageddon for the nostalgia factor later.

If i were you i'll also get netKar, the best open-wheeler simulator ever made, and you are set.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
deathrally.jpg

Because anything less is for pussies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom