Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Before Gears of War, there was Dare To Dream (4: Inking and owing)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
D: I hope it doesn't say anything indicting about me in there. The Doritos Incident is supposed to be a secret.

(are we there yet? Bumpa bump)
(oh hang on we are! Yay)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good gosh you really want more of this? You pervs.

4: Inking and owing

03dare_0002.png

So, Episode 2: In Search of the Beast, now starring the Andyman Key (on the title picture).

03dare_0003.png

tl;dr Tyler suppressed all his bad emotions and they have developed into a personality of their own, which has overtaken his dreams and must now be destroyed lest he becomes trapped in them. Or something.

We start out in front of the fort our protagonist has constructed together with his friend Terry who we met at the end of the previous episode.

03dare_0005.png

The outside of the fort isn't kept as nicely as the inside, you don't have enough money for the landscapers to come yet.

03dare_0011.png

Aw, SWES. Everything SNES would be if it was designed by Tim Sweeney.

03dare_0013.png

:roll:

03dare_0014.png

Stolen highway markers? We're living a dangerous life!

Terry sits on his favorite spot on the couch sipping a soda.

03dare_0019.png

Damn your glasses are weird, Terry. So is your hair and mouth and eyes and really everything about you.

03dare_0020.png

It has incredible power and you didn't even try using it yourself? What kind of a 10 year old are you, Terry?

03dare_0022.png

Yeah, let's. But let's grab it first.

03dare_0026.png

Strange blue clay makes up the floor of the lab. Once, the light went out, and the floor glowed in the dark, creating a funky 70's style dance floor.

This table was inherited from your great uncle Vinnie. Vinnie was a mobster who was gunned down during a vacation to Niagara Falls one summer.

We'll do our best to live up to our family's name. :salute:

03dare_0029.png

Oh really!!!

03dare_0032.png

Tsk, so emotional.

03dare_0035.png

I wonder if Terry would like to come with us.

03dare_0037.png

Apparently not.

But whatever.

03dare_0039.png

You're slow, Terry.

03dare_0041.png

The odd red barn sticks out like a sore thumb. You hear strange noises from inside.

A tree with a stupid look on its face is planted near the barn.

My that's one psychodelic tree.

03dare_0048.png

Let's pick the fruit, then.

03dare_0052.png

Looks tasty. But we haven't come here to eat fruit.

On that note, what have we come here for?..

03dare_0053.png

Oh hey, a stick.

03dare_0055.png

:hmmm:

There was something about strange noises coming from inside the barn. Let's have a look.

03dare_0058.png

Uhm, I hope we didn't interrupt anything?

03dare_0062.png

Good kitty.

But I think I'd rather talk to the dog.

03dare_0065.png

03dare_0066.png

How did you two even get in this kind of, uhm, position, geez.

03dare_0067.png

Okay, it's not like the cat can shoot us while focused on the dog.

03dare_0069.png

So Neko-kun, how's life?

03dare_0071.png

Never underestimate dogs, cat.

03dare_0072.png

NiteMare? What's wrong with the old-fashioned "nightmare"? Jeez.

03dare_0073.png

I hope the dog doesn't mind if we, uh, borrow this for a sec.

03dare_0075.png

Aw, I hoped it'd be a powder keg. But maybe we'll be able to find some use for it.

03dare_0078.png

Yeah, a mouse is all that's missing from this scene.

We leave the barn for now and head east from the previous screen.

03dare_0081.png

The strange trees seem to have some sort of plastic fruit hanging from them.

Plastic explosive fruit, by any chance?

The blue sky seems almost painted on, and the clouds look like cotton.

Nothing for us to do here, really, except enter the warped little castle.

03dare_0085.png

:bounce: (<- in-character commentary)

03dare_0091.png

What's wrong with your eyes, damn.

03dare_0092.png

:hmmm:

03dare_0093.png

The "dragon"? Is that some sort of sexual innuendo again?

Anyway, let's explore this fucked up world further.

03dare_0095.png

An oversized tree with a funny expression on its face looks around. On its top is more fruit similar to the tree to the west.

The forest is dark and forboding. Many other trees look out at you with other dumbfounded looks.

More stoned trees. Moving on.

03dare_0101.png

A pile of rocks approximately the size of your head sits on the pathway. On top of the rocks sits a large femur-shaped bone.

Off in the distance stands an ominous mountain painted against a crimson sky. That must be where the gate is!!!

A large timber blocks any further passage.

There is no jumping or climbing in Dare To Dream.

The roadblock won't budge. Must be superglued in place.

Why would anyone dream up a superglued timber block?

03dare_0119.png

Nice to meet you too, uhm, I guess.

03dare_0120.png

It sure has.

03dare_0122.png

The revolt of dreamt up creatures. How cute.

So? What else do we have here?

03dare_0111.png

A bone prescription, huh.

03dare_0115.png

AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION: Are you a bad enough dude to figure out what the label is really supposed to say?

PRIZE: A nice new custom tag saying "I took an inking and owing pill and look at me now".

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
"Shrinking and growing pill. Use only as directed. May be hazardous to pregnant women"?

Magical Boner Pills :roll:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I changed my mind. This is actually brilliant

especially the faces

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So Tyler sets up stepping into the dreamspace on purpose, he pursues getting in there, and his first question is "HOW DO I GET OUT?!"

Dude. Grow a pair.

Arpad

Educated
The game instantly becomes a full-blown horror game when Lissa's portrait art is shown.

lightbane

Arcane
Jeez, the proportions... They're all wrong!!! Truly a non-euclidean dream, Tyler is fucked up.

Zeriel

Arcane
God, the whole thing is just oozing amateurism. Which is especially weird because Epic games made some really great, polished titles in the same era. I love the 'Statusbox', it's like they couldn't even be bothered to not display the Visual Basic elements of every window.

JPMazzaro

Barely Literate
http://www.jpmazzaro.com/in-a-darkened-room.html

I can't tell you why, but some of the images of Dare to Dream have stuck with me over the years. I went back and revisited it, and have started writing a webcomic inspired by the game called "In a Darkened Room." I'm maintaining much of the "story" and absurdity, but am trying to weave a bit more meaning into the whole thing. If you like the game and have a moment, check it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom