Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Jason Liang

Arcane
Vindicator + Griffin is a lot of PPCs :/

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I’m having fun actually. Especially when fighting lances of matching or bigger tonnage. The last one was a total shitshow. I opened up quite nicely flanking a Crab and fucking it good in the rear, but things got grim as soon as his friends appeared. Vindicator and Griffin along with three annoying light mechs all targeting my lance leader in a Blackjack. Managed to drill a hole in the Griffin’s back while flying around on jumpjets like a madman all that while on the extreme heat levels making a shot of hope before shutting down. Unfortunately I’ve got a very unfortunate PPC in the face and died.
:salute:
Is this in vanilla? Was it a random mission? I think I ditched my Blackjack very early in the game, certainly long before I had to face a Crab.

I should give this game another try with Roguetech. It might be fun to experiment with different mechs instead of using my four heaviest on every mission.

Edit: Also, it felt kind of cheap for the game to put me up against "poorly maintained" mechs on every mission. Yeah, my lance of four is destroying twenty or more enemy mechs, which makes me feel cool, but none of the enemy mechs had any armor on.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I’m having fun actually. Especially when fighting lances of matching or bigger tonnage. The last one was a total shitshow. I opened up quite nicely flanking a Crab and fucking it good in the rear, but things got grim as soon as his friends appeared. Vindicator and Griffin along with three annoying light mechs all targeting my lance leader in a Blackjack. Managed to drill a hole in the Griffin’s back while flying around on jumpjets like a madman all that while on the extreme heat levels making a shot of hope before shutting down. Unfortunately I’ve got a very unfortunate PPC in the face and died.
Is this in vanilla? Was it a random mission? I think I ditched my Blackjack very early in the game, certainly long before I had to face a Crab.

I should give this game another try with Roguetech. It might be fun to experiment with different mechs instead of using my four heaviest on every mission.

Edit: Also, it felt kind of cheap for the game to put me up against "poorly maintained" mechs on every mission. Yeah, my lance of four is destroying twenty or more enemy mechs, which makes me feel cool, but none of the enemy mechs had any armor on.
Yeah vanilla, one of the random missions in the career mode. But the map was pretty cleverly done with a big obstacle in the middle, so it was beneficial to always maneuver excluding part of the enemies from the combat.
I kinda didn’t acknowledge the difficulty levels of planets at first and mostly traveled blindly, probably that’s why some missions were a total disaster for me.
I’ve opted for 4 parts to assemble a mech in difficulty settings, so a new mech is a pretty rare thing.

Cael

Arcane
Roguetech has powerful heat producing weapons really early, unlike the vanilla game, from what I can see of Let's Plays. Also, the effects of heat is much more extreme (e.g., going unsteady instantly). I'd equip and use them.

roguetech. i've been trying a hot team, and compared to my last run some years ago i have the strong feeling flamers have been nerfed and don't heat up targets as much as they did. i have this 45t firestarter with 11 flamers and on a *solid* alpha i rarely bring mechs to their lower limit. this on light-meds which rarely have sinks to spare, i doubt they're going to have any effect at all from heavies up.

Last edited:

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
roguetech. i've been trying a hot team, and compared to my last run some years ago i have the strong feel flamers have been nerfed and don't heat up targets as much as they did. i have this 45t firestarter with 11 flamers and on a *solid* alpha i rarely bring mechs to their lower limit. this on light-meds which rarely have sinks to spare, i doubt they're going to have any effect at all from heavies up.
Flamers are still annoying though. One light mech been constantly shutting down my medium that tends to run hot, effectively denying it making actions and enabling making called shots on it.

but stock mechs rarely run as hot as custom, we have the gaming mindset of the crippling alpha while stocks are built for prolonged fights with a more realistic mindset. my starter raven had 3 tons of narc ammo, some other starter had 2t machinegun ammo when one quarter is enough for any engagement.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
but stock mechs rarely run as hot as custom, we have the gaming mindset of the crippling alpha while stocks are built for prolonged fights with a more realistic mindset. my starter raven had 3 tons of narc ammo, some other starter had 2t machinegun ammo when one quarter is enough for any engagement.
Yea, I kinda can see the appeal of more prolonged fights that can make use of more diverse range of weaponry and tactics. Is the multiplayer alive currently? I wonder if there is any particular choice tactics wise.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It was possible to play matches with randoms within few months of the release. I played quite a few back then, though I am pretty sure that the MP scene is deep in the "ask for matches on Discord" territory nowadays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom