Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate 2 quick questions

bloodlover

Arcane
So here's the deal. I played BG 2 all the way through the end of Act 3. My party is somewhere around level 12-13 (except Jan, he's still lvl 11 >.>) and I did many quests in and around Athkatla. Now, when you finish Act 3, Bodhi (because I chosed her path) sends me off on a boat.

1) Will I get back to Athkatla? I missed a lot of fights I suppose since I didn't fight any dragons or more powerful creatures/NPC's yet
2) How is leveling scaled in the game? Ok so far I did good in my encounters (some deaths here and there but every fight was manageable in the end) but I don't want to be surprised that in Act 4 or later in the game I will be wiped instantly due to the fact that my party is not powerful enough.

Thx in advance for your replies and try to answer without much/big spoilers ;)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You'll return much later.

The power level of the party should increase by the experience scaling, but by throne of bhall some characters will become useless if not micromanaged all the time (or you have uber loot), since their fight potential is not so great.

Viconia for instance, dies all the time in throne of cheese if not prebuffed in every fight more or less. Clerics capable fighters my ass.

Note that BG is so broken that some classes can just solocheese fucking ascension with improved tactics (uber spellcasters mostly).

sick

Educated
Project: Eternity
bloodlover said:
I missed a lot of fights I suppose since I didn't fight any dragons or more powerful creatures/NPC's yet

i'd say you have missed much, try to do as much as possible before you go to brynnlaw

baronjohn

Cipher
bloodlover said:
2) How is leveling scaled in the game? Ok so far I did good in my encounters (some deaths here and there but every fight was manageable in the end) but I don't want to be surprised that in Act 4 or later in the game I will be wiped instantly due to the fact that my party is not powerful enough.
There is no level scaling in BG2.

NONE.

Ammar

Scholar
Some encounters spawn monsters depending on your level. For example, when your level is high enough there is a lich in Spellhold. Also rather noticable during the Unseeing Eye Questline. Otherwise no level scaling.

attackfighter

Magister
Strangely enough the only level scaling I noticed was related to undead encounters. There's a place in the shadow temple, spellhold and a certain other dungeon (Firkraggs or the temple sewers) where a liche will spawn if you're at a high enough level (in fact I think 2 liches spawned in the shadow temple for me). Other than those encounters I didn't notice any scaling.

You'll get to return to Amn later on in the game, however you'll be at such a high level that most of the quests you missed will be a breeze. Also you might be a bit weak for what you're about to get into, since you're at a somewhat low level (although it's been awhile since I played BG2 so I may be wrong here). I'd recommend atleast finishing off all the major sidequests before leaving Amn.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
BG2 has very limited level scaling; there are points where the game checks your party level and then spawns monsters based on that. It's usually something like "if avg party level is < 8, spawn a clay golem; if it's between 8 and 10 spawn a stone golem, if it's 11 or higher spawn an iron golem".

By the time you return to Amn you'll be really close to the end of the game, and personally I never feel like finishing quests at that point.

Murk

Arcane
Ammar said:
Some encounters spawn monsters depending on your level. For example, when your level is high enough there is a lich in Spellhold. Also rather noticable during the Unseeing Eye Questline. Otherwise no level scaling.[/quote

My iron man solo was cut short by an unexpected lich in the undead quarter of the Unseeing Eye's hive.

Carceri

Arcane
I have read about some people rushing to Spellhold to save Imoen as quickly as they can because from a RP perspective they cannot justify fooling around while she is in a potential danger. Unless you are one of those deluded creatures it's usually better take your time to gain as much experience as you can and gather some powerful items that will surely prove useful in your long trip.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SCO said:
Viconia for instance, dies all the time in throne of cheese if not prebuffed in every fight more or less. Clerics capable fighters my ass.

She has a constitution of 9 iirc. If I was rolling my own cleric he/she'd have the maximum possible.

Erebus

Arcane
Carceri said:
I have read about some people rushing to Spellhold to save Imoen as quickly as they can because from a RP perspective they cannot justify fooling around while she is in a potential danger.

Well, it also makes sense if you want to take her back in the party without her being too far behind XP-wise.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just install level1npcs. It has a component that scales companions up to your current XP level when they first join your party.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Carceri said:
I have read about some people rushing to Spellhold to save Imoen as quickly as they can because from a RP perspective they cannot justify fooling around while she is in a potential danger

I usually role play that I will not consort with Thieves or Vampires. "There must be another way to Spellhold". And appeatenly there is, with a fairly recent mod.
Or else I role play that Imoen is an annoying brat that has hampered my style for too long.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Mastermind said:
SCO said:

She has a constitution of 9 iirc. If I was rolling my own cleric he/she'd have the maximum possible.

There's a girdle you get early on that can raise constitution once per day, it's pretty useful for her. Also, there's plenty of strength-enhancing items fairly early in the game as well, making her a little tougher in a fight. But really, nobody should be using her as a fighter. She's 90% spell caster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom