Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Axis & Allies Iron Blitz

Achmed1974

Novice
I plan on buying up alot of the turn based strategy classics on ebay and GoG. This one is at the top of my list(though I hear its very rare). I just wanted to hear from anyone who has played this if its true to the boardgame in terms of rules and gameplay. I played this in college alot but I don't know much about the PC versions of this classic. Is the multiplayer community still actve as AI's nomrally bore me quickly with how easy they are to exploit or not being aggressive enough? Lastly do you really need an old CRT monitor to play games like this? I have an ol 19" 1440x900 but I am almost sure if I ran this game it would be look terrible all stretched out. Crossing my fingers there would be a way to play windowed at its native resolution like I can with Dosbox.

Anyway was surprised to not find a thread for this game but maybe there aren't many hardwargamers here.

Deakul

Augur
None of the video game versions of Axis & Allies are really any good.

Better off just playing something like Hearts of Iron 2.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, I don't recall any of the A&A computer games being good. There is a site I used to visit, I think it's axisandallies.org, that might have more information on A&A-stuff.

Achmed1974

Novice
Yeah I found a dedicated Axxis and Allies site. Most of the people there are heavily biased but it doesn't sound like this or the other version of this boardgame had good PC versions. Just miss the nostalgia of the game and thought the MP community might still be active if it turned out to be a good game. I'll probably look into the Heart of Iron games for my WW2 gaming fix. I still do wonder if there is a good way to play these older games on a modern widescreen high resolution monitor. Most of the windows versions of such games like X-Com look terrible and stetched out in fullscreen.

4too

Arcane
Gateway Games

Picked up the Infogames (Win 98 era) Axis And Allies at bargain pricing, only real investment has been the time played.

Used the patch from Axis And Allies site.

Never played the board game, but my game roots are board gaming, so I see the attraction of this abstraction.

Liked Axis And Allies enough that I've traded up to Gary Grigsby's World At War, A World Divided.

The WAW demo around the web is of the earlier, less focused /polished, version. Many links go no where or to some scam site. Takes a second effort to find.

My plan is to sometime this year load up the copy of Hearts Of Iron 3, and have my synapses channeled for the level of detail and intensity of game play.

See Axis And Allies as a 'gateway drug' to discover how this century's technology interprets the hexagon grid gaming I was devoted to 30 plus years ago.

4too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom