Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Avernum 6 - Bringing Back the Food Meter

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Avernum 6

Some guy who is not Jeff Vogel revealed more <a href="http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=179766#Post179766" target="blank">tidbits on the forums</a> about <b><a href="http://www.avernum.com/avernum6/index.html" target="blank">Avernum 6</a></b>, including that the demo is the biggest since Avernum 3 and hunger is in.
<br>
<blockquote>This is the last major area that allows you to explore. You're in the army now so you can't go wherever you like as an adventurer. You need to follow orders and get them to get into certain places. Accepting quests is the easiest way to get into certain areas even if you don't do the quests. Get used to dealing with guards to get through gates.
<br>
<br>
Lots of old familiar quests to collect items, kill monsters, and deliver messages. Some of the old NPCs are back including Solberg, X, and Lark.
<br>
<br>
Jeff changed the spell system to add some new buffing spells that affect the whole party as long as you are near the caster. A little more efficient than the old system, but I miss some spells. Potions and scrolls are more useful this time so be sure to get them.
<br>
<br>
Because of the Blight, food is really important so you spend lots of time finding it so you don't want to suffer from starvation effects. Get used to using the portal pylons to go back for more every game day. After a few trips you can collect your rations in 5 minutes.
<br>
<br>
Money is still tight since Jeff offers so many ways to spend it. At least a few of the better trainers appear early in the game.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
<i>Thanks, ElectricOtter</i>

Andhaira

Arcane
Hmm, while I am a fan of hunger/thirst in rpgs, I am not sure bringing it into Avernum at this point was a good idea. Perhaps Jeff Vogel is using Avernum 6 as a test bed for his next game.

Monocause

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
Hmm, while I am a fan of hunger/thirst in rpgs, I am not sure bringing it into Avernum at this point was a good idea. Perhaps Jeff Vogel is using Avernum 6 as a test bed for his next game.

It's a good idea. Keep in mind that the majority of Avernum players were also Exile players.

I missed the food meter. It added to the atmosphere, especially in Exile II (where getting past the waterfalls on the way to the vahnatai left you in an alien land, surrounded by hostile creatures and starving).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Since Avernum 6 seems to be basically about Jeff trying to have his setting go out in an epic burst of invasion and starvation I guess a hunger meter makes perfect sense.

Really am enjoying Avernum 5, so I'm looking forward to this one. Especially if he's going berzerk with the setting.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Hunger has the potential to be a good mechanic, as long as food remains scarce enough to be a concern and impact gameplay. If you've ever played DCSS the hunger mechanic acts as a nice way to pressure you to keep exploring floors and not camp/grind for too long in one place. And it makes certain areas like demon type realms much more hostile to your survival as you have to carry in your food the monsters aren't edible.

I just hope the interface for eating will be super streamlined and avoid needless clicks.

g_stroker_6.gif

ElectricOtter

Blackadder said:
I have to ask - is that an actual game?

But about A6, it sound pretty damn cool. I never was really fond of the newer Avernums, but this looks like something I could get excited about.

Luzur

Good Sir
ElectricOtter said:
Blackadder said:
I have to ask - is that an actual game?

But about A6, it sound pretty damn cool. I never was really fond of the newer Avernums, but this looks like something I could get excited about.

Atari? i seen it for C64.

Geofferic

Educated
I could never get into Avernum. The hand-drawn, awful profile pics were enough of a turn off to keep me from trying the real games.

ElectricOtter

I know Jeff Vogel's graphics are shit, but seriously, every time someone mentions Spiderweb Software, half the codex turns into graphic whores.

Thrasher

Erudite
And profile pics, for God's sake. Who would think anyone gives a fuck about that?

Geofferic

Educated
Thrasher said:
And profile pics, for God's sake. Who would think anyone gives a fuck about that?

You are clearly not very bright.

*I* care about it. If there were NO drawings, I would be happier. BAD ART is distracting and annoying.

I am an avid Angband and Dwarf Fortress player and I do *not* use tile sets, so no I'm not a graphics whore. I just don't appreciate shitty art.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Geofferic said:

*I* care about it. If there were NO drawings, I would be happier. BAD ART is distracting and annoying.

I am an avid Angband and Dwarf Fortress player and I do *not* use tile sets, so no I'm not a graphics whore. I just don't appreciate shitty art.

:lol:

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Delete the .bmps if its that much of an issue. Although I think they are pngs now.

Also dual wielding? Was this in A5?

Thrasher

Erudite
Geofferic said:
Thrasher said:

OK let me rephrase that.

Who the hell but a complete moron cares about profile pics?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Thrasher said:
Who the hell but a complete moron cares about profile pics?

Plenty of people, when we're talking initial impressions.

Bad art that you have to look at for a large portion of the game, which is about at the standards of stuff I drew when I was 12 does not create a good impression of the game or the amount of effort put into it, when there are so many thousands of random dudes who could have improved them for free (or nearly so) over the last 9 years of avernum

A stick figure paper doll would be a vast improvement

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand why he doesn't use Geneforge's relatively good paperdolls instead of the horrible kid's drawing quality ones for Avernum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom