Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Are World of Darkness vampires overpowered? Were they defeated too easily in V5 lore?

Semiurge

Cipher
Essentially, that's what ghouls and thralls are for.

Ahem, they are called 'handymen' now.

Cut to Ravnos killing all of South Asia in a high powered super saiyan battle with the 3 Buddhas (!!) before an orbital wizard laser beam stopped him*.

Sounds like a grand battle from the "Mahābhārata" :D

So I actually listened to that WoD 'critical role' thing while I played EU4. I stopped on season 3 but I think I can comment on this from memory. The Voernam sisters are mostly unchanged. Therese is portrayed as baron of Santa Monica and the years have been kind to her. She's making bank from gentrification, she's a puritan, she hates her sister's personality and she's playing the factions of the city for personal gain. But her thing is that she wants to make the malkavians great again. And she hates fish malks for the same reason she hates Jeanette's whoring around. In her eyes it does not garner respect. At one point she even tells 'milennial vampire played straight' Annabelle to shut the fuck up and stop being so sentimental about everything.

Malks can never be great, they are too dangerous to other kindred engaged in Jyhad. This is one reason many of them "disappear".

Harthwain

Magister
Yeah, and then the meta plot moved forward and turned metusellahs into invulnerable super gods. At which point every fan with 2 neurons in their head started wondering why they ever bothered manipulating people, or why they ever thought the inquisition was a threat.
Indeed. The whole point of manipulating events from the shadows is for protection. Even the "common" vampires did that in order to preserve the Masquerade, because it's better for them to keep the mankind in the dark the existence of supernatural. That's why originally the vampire hunters were deeply religious nuts and some rare people who somehow got the glympse of the real world. But the mainstream wouldn't take them seriously in this day and age and blabbing around about vampires would get the attention of actual vampires, which isn't something you want to happen. Having modern government agencies (outside of some top heads in Vatican and the like) know about the vampires defeats the whole point.

But that merely establishes how weak the writing has become, which is something everyone here seems to agree on.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Question isnt the whole point of the masquerade because the vamps nearly got wiped out by some medieval inquasition or something back in the day and realized if humanity every became aware of their existance on mass again they'd be screwed?

Never read or played the ttrpg but thats what somone told me.
The PnP game is very inconsistent as it is usual with stuff that passed through the hand of many writers, especially cheap hackish salarymen ones. The way I take it and that makes sense for me is that vampires are very powerful on an individual level but not as a group. They cant win an attrition war against humanity, their true power should come more from experience than from their disciplines.

I'm really against killing elder vampires with random Deus Ex Machinas, it feels like you could have an awesome story but instead you have a fart instead because you didnt bother. It is like you are watching Star Wars and on the middle of the movie, the rebels dropped an atomic bomb in Darth Vader, yeah sure, makes sense and does the job but you know... that wasnt exactly what I was expecting to see when I paid the ticket. Reading: Human goverment agency killed chantry of elder vampires with drone strikes sounds as interesting as reading yet another terrorist group bombed on Afeghanistan, makes me remember I need to do my taxes.

Wesp5

Arcane
It is like you are watching Star Wars and on the middle of the movie, the rebels dropped an atomic bomb in Darth Vader, yeah sure, makes sense and does the job but you know... that wasnt exactly what I was expecting to see when I paid the ticket.

You mean like that illogical jump-through-enemy-ships-to-lightspeed trick they did in SW:EP8 which would have made most space battles that happened before and after and in the same movie itself completely pointless? Yes, I agree :)!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
There is nothing wrong with having a political game about immortal vampires hiding behind a facade of mortal governments.

So, I was contemplating about it actually long ago.
What are the roots, the source of the tales about vampires? Does anyone know it?
I think, it's possible that vampires were created as a response to people that have great power - rich ones, ruthless, that could impowerish, bunkrupt with a move of a finger and often do so if that benefits them.
Vampires drink blood, and blood is a source of life, people from ancient times knew - you lost blood, you lost life.
So, vimpires methaphorically depicts those powerful people, that drink life from society with their greed and desire for power.
People like rothschilds, rockefellers and soroses and such.

My imaginary book pivoting about this - all rich ones are vimpires.
Imagine that Lenin was a man, who tried to fought vampire opression cleverly - not (only) with a stakes and garlic, but with economical means, cause the foundation of vampire opression is capitalism. He chose systemic approach so to say. But eventually was shot by vampire thrall Fanny Kaplan (who would have thought), just like Stalin who continued to fight for our future without fear of bloodsucking monsters was poisoned by Lasar Kaganovich (I heard that version in one TV-show, like he had a niece who worked at kremlin hospital (that served only high ranked politics) and she poisoned Stalin - at least he boasts about it later after immigration).
Comix based on this could be good...
Imagine, Ramone Mercadore hit Trotsky not with a pickaxe, but with a aspen stake hehe, cause he turned out to be bloodsucking monster, a shifter, defected to a vimpires in desire of power.
Did you really thought that Rockefeller changed 7 hearts? Haha, he ate 7 hearts, that's right.

P.S. I wonder if someone already wrote such book? I mean, vampires=rich ones.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Compare him to Strauss who is implied to be 2-3 times Lacroix's age.

Who did he piss off to end up in LA, of all places? What did he do? Piss into Etrius' milk?

Really, I always felt (because of Tremere and Malk dialog with him) Strauss was basically a Telvanni: His main interest is magic stuff, and maybe his own clan, while otherwise being too distant from vampire politicking to take the free time crushing title of Prince. He only bothers with that shit when events (threaten to) disrupt his quiet. Even in the Carmilla ending, I get the implication that Strauss is only temporary Prince till he can bum that position off on someone and get back to his research.

mondblut

Arcane
There is nothing wrong with having a political game about immortal vampires hiding behind a facade of mortal governments.

So, I was contemplating about it actually long ago.
What are the roots, the source of the tales about vampires? Does anyone know it?
I think, it's possible that vampires were created as a response to people that have great power - rich ones, ruthless, that could impowerish, bunkrupt with a move of a finger and often do so if that benefits them.
Vampires drink blood, and blood is a source of life, people from ancient times knew - you lost blood, you lost life.
So, vimpires methaphorically depicts those powerful people, that drink life from society with their greed and desire for power.
People like rothschilds, rockefellers and soroses and such.

My imaginary book pivoting about this - all rich ones are vimpires.
Imagine that Lenin was a man, who tried to fought vampire opression cleverly - not (only) with a stakes and garlic, but with economical means, cause the foundation of vampire opression is capitalism. He chose systemic approach so to say. But eventually was shot by vampire thrall Fanny Kaplan (who would have thought), just like Stalin who continued to fight for our future without fear of bloodsucking monsters was poisoned by Lasar Kaganovich (I heard that version in one TV-show, like he had a niece who worked at kremlin hospital (that served only high ranked politics) and she poisoned Stalin - at least he boasts about it later after immigration).
Comix based on this could be good...
Imagine, Ramone Mercadore hit Trotsky not with a pickaxe, but with a aspen stake hehe, cause he turned out to be bloodsucking monster, a shifter, defected to a vimpires in desire of power.
Did you really thought that Rockefeller changed 7 hearts? Haha, he ate 7 hearts, that's right.

P.S. I wonder if someone already wrote such book? I mean, vampires=rich ones.

Persistant claims that vampires can be warded off with a cross imply that most of them are NOT jews.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Jews has nothing to do with Christianity lol, RTFM, they consider Christianity as heresy/idolatry.
They only points of contact with Jews are - He was borned in Jew family.
He was crucified by Jews.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
vampires can be warded off with a cross

Also, metaphorically speaking, fear of the cross could mean for vampires, that vampires fear Christianity - putting divine things aside - as early Christian communities could be called as proto-communistic societies I think?
And probably more communistic than scientific communism, as it failed miserably, as it lacked moral criteria. Actually I wrote "нравственный" but English doesn't have this word, and its definition is different than morale. Opps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom