Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Are there actually any good online rpgs?

MerchantKing

Learned
The only one worth playing I remember was Runescape before the Wilderness was added and you could be a PKer anywhere you wanted as well as roleplay as a humble merchant without the grand exchange ruining everything.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
MMOs are about people, so it depends on who you play with.

If you mean good PVE content, I don't think anything can top WoW when it comes to challenging PVE content, and I don't mean low level shit, I mean end-game no-lifer content. I scratched the surface of that once, but there are people who do nothing but play WoW all day, every day for years, and this is what it takes to be at the top. Not even exaggerating.

Oldschool players will say EverQuest, which was the big MMO before WoW.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
play WoW all day, every day for years, and this is what it takes to be at the top
I closed Mythics+ 20 and played no more than a few hours/week. I sometimes did it on severely undergeared characters and had dps lower than the tank. No biggie. This is a myth perpetrated by ignorant people who like to imagine there's some separate stratosphere for the cool kids. The only difficult content is at about 25+, and all it takes is not years of playing, but a certain skillset. You either have it or you don't. You can transition from a different game and start closing 25s in a month's time. Playing wow for years will not increase your chances of getting there.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
play WoW all day, every day for years, and this is what it takes to be at the top
I closed Mythics+ 20 and played no more than a few hours/week. This is a myth perpetrated by ignorant people who like to imagine there's some separate stratosphere for the cool kids. The only difficult content is at about 25+, and all it takes is not years of playing, but a certain skillset. You either have it or you don't. You can transition from a different game and start closing 25s in a month's time. Playing wow for years will not increase your chances of getting there.
you are lying

20s were prestigious back in the Legion and BFA days, but not today in Dragonflight. There has been so much powercreep, and gearing has become so easy that I got 2,000 M+ rating on the second week of Dragonflight season 3, and that's nothing compared to the people pushing 3,000, this early into the season when no one has a full set of timegated 483 great vault gear yet. 25s are the new 20s now, and I imagine a few months later into the season we're going to see more people pushing 30s.

EDIT: derp thought this was the WoW thread for a moment.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Some people swear by Project 1999's EverQuest revival, and I was going to give it a go, but I had an annoying technical issue where once I upgraded to Windows 10 build 21H2, my framerates plummeted from a constant, unvarying 60 FPS to less than 30. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Mise

Not The Best Games
Developer
Depends. Can you teleport back to 2006?

Honest answer, WoW Hardcore, played on a private server like a true gentleman. There is a certain RPG feel to it, not felt in any online game for the past 15 years. You've got to prepare for many encounters, crafting is finally worth doing, every travel is like an adventure, no one is forcing you to end game, because hurr durr that's where the fun is. Just an overall good experience.

Dr1f7

Scholar
eve is the best and it's not even close, but you can only really play it if you have no life
guild wars 1 is great but good luck finding people to group with

runescape is actually a single player game with a chat box

Where my DAoC bros at?

This was undoubtedly my favorite MMO of all-time, if I sat down I could probably write a book on all of the fun I had with it way back when. But I just can't see myself getting the same enjoyment out of it today. A lot of DAoC's fun (I played on Albion/Palomides at launch) was hinging on the unknown, the bustling population and 1800+ active players on a server and the rivalries, etc that followed. Mordred and the PVP servers never had the same appeal as crashing the servers when the entire playerbase of all 3 realms are zerging the same zone during a relic raid.

I know DAoC has its freeshards now.... but I dunno.

GloriousSoftHat

Literate
I think it really depends on what you're looking for - to be honest I've sort of accepted that a lot of my nostalgia for MMOs is more down to who I was and the period in my life when I could freely spend many, many hours playing WoW, as opposed to the quality of the games themselves.

For a while I've been desperately trying to scratch that WoW itch, but I think I've realised for the most part, that single-player RPGs do a better job overall these days. Of course, really depends on who you're playing with, I'm admittedly fairly antisocial myself and not particularly interested in being overly competitive either.

Just Locus

Educated
I've been enjoying Warhammer Online: Return of Reckoning, I'd say it's a decent to good online RPG (MMORPG).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The only one worth playing I remember was Runescape before the Wilderness was added and you could be a PKer anywhere you wanted as well as roleplay as a humble merchant without the grand exchange ruining everything.

NWN PWs

there are some excellent ones

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom