Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum: experience per blow?

Rogue

Educated
Hello,

I have a question about Arcanum, which I started playing a few days ago. The manual states:
Followers do not deprive the player of Experience Points, with the exception of the experience per blow in Combat which the player does not receive. Anything killed by a Follower is treated as a kill by the player’s Character, for purposes of both Experience award and for any Alignment shift that it may cause. Additionally, when the Player Character goes up in Level, each and every Follower of that Character will also go up in Level. Followers will spend their Character Points according to an Auto-Leveling Scheme of their own devising.

How would experience from blows compare to experience per kill and experience from questing, proportionally (in total)? Is it significant or not? I'm not sure if I should just get a bunch of followers or keep a small party. I'm playing as a half-orc and I started with strength 20 at level 1, so I pretty much am the one that hacks everything up. So far I have Virgil, who is very useful for his healing abilities, and Margus. I recruited the latter very recently and so far I don't really feel that he makes the game any easier by being there. I would appreciate any feedback from people that have already completed this game before, as I'm quite n00bish at it. Thanks.

Rogue

Educated
Well, good sir, it is my personal opinion that it's always nice to start a topic in a polite way. That way it's more fun when it turns into a rotting cesspool of ... well... use your imagination :lol: I'll let someone else do the honor of soiling the purity of this thread. :salute:

Rogue

Educated
You're right. Or was it Magnus? :) I just hope he doesn't come at me when I'm wearing my good shirt. Unless he looks like Jennifer Aniston. In that case I would welcome the attack. Well, I'm off to bed. Need to get some shuteye before sunrise that will happen soon. Maybe this thread will be soiled by tomorrow. One can dream.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I'll just leave this here:

nappy-disposable-soiled-filled-by-breast-feeding-4-four-month-old-baby-girl-mustard-yellow-colour-closeup-1-DHD.jpg

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Lavoisier said:
"Pray silently" :lol:
Cast flamestrike?

Don't worry, if you take all quests and explore all dungeons, you will reach 50 lvl before 3/4 of the game.
Take Worthless Mutt from Ashbury to extra fast experience growing.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you a fighter, it is np to keep a large party, there won't be much of XP loss. If you are a non-fighter it can hamper your level scale.

This is why level-scaling is RPGs is gut.

Norfleet

Rogue said:
How would experience from blows compare to experience per kill and experience from questing, proportionally (in total)? Is it significant or not?
Experience per blow can be EXTREMELY significant if you allow it to be, since it does not depend on the damage done: Wield the most ineffective weapons you can and start bludgeoning away uselessly until you stop getting meaningful experience.

Murk

Arcane
Drog has, in the past, clarified that you get experience per blow by taking a percentage from their pool based on how much damage you did, so doing 50 1-hp attacks is not better than a single 50-hp attack.

I believe it was something like 2:1 ratio in how much experience you get in per-blow:kill. So the kill experience is only 1/3rd of the total experience available. So yes, followers do steal your experience (as they only increase in level when you do at certain milestones), but the old "equip a fast weak weapon" is not sound advice.

there is a thread somewhere on the codex where he explains this in detail, I would suggest a proper search for it?

Rogue

Educated
I'm holding my breath, waiting for the scourge to dissipate :lol: It seems that I not only got a detailed answer to my question, but and I've also been sent on an exciting quest of searching for a thread of great wisdom regarding Arcanum. Oh my, what a glorious day. Thank you for your time, noble gentlemen.
egKU8ok94cbxedahaR7hfKxP_500.jpg

SHIT?

Tails

Arbiter
You will always get more experience for hit then killing, as far I remember.

Rogue said:
and Margus. I recruited the latter very recently and so far I don't really feel that he makes the game any easier by being there.
Magnus is a pretty good tanker in later part of game, and also can make balanced swords, which can be easily used until the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom