Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone able to do a custom trackball mouse commission?

deama

Prophet
So I was wondering if anyone here customizes computer mouses as a hobby or some such, was wondering if anyone is willing to make me a mouse for a price.
Specifically I'm looking for a trackball mouse, the design would be very similar to a kensington expert, infact, basically exactly the same:

71x4VUjYsGL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

However, the only differences would need to be in the quality of the hardware, the kensington uses pretty bad hardware by today's standards, so I was hoping for something modern.
Also, the ball bearings will need to be changed, they will need to be changed to be able to house ball transfer units, specifically the "REXROTH R053060800" model, the holes to house them will have to be made in a way to make them replaceable, so you can take them out and put new ones in, in case there's an issue there.

Everything else pretty much the same design wise, even the scroll wheel should be roughly the same too.

There is a project that was recently released, an open source trackball mouse project with decent hardware that you can customize the shell, it's called the ploopy adept:
https://ploopy.co/shop/adept-trackball-fully-assembled-preorder/
Maybe that can be used as a base starting point.

So anyone able to do it?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
There is a project that was recently released
You could reach out to Ploopy about custom options. I own several of their trackballs and had only positive experiences communicating with the owner.

deama

Prophet
There is a project that was recently released
You could reach out to Ploopy about custom options. I own several of their trackballs and had only positive experiences communicating with the owner.
Yeah I did reach out to one of them, they said they don't do custom commissions...
They mentioned how I could try doing it myself since it's all open source, but that isn't exactly a 4 hour job, it would take a while, especially since some of the features of the kenginston like the scrollwheel aren't implemented in the ploopy, so I might have to do that one from scratch.
At that point it'd be easier I think to just get an expert and try modding it myself, but that'd still take decent time and expertise.

Old One

Arcane
Good luck with your project. I love my Kensington, but it could certainly be more robust.

I think the old ugly ones from the 90s were tougher. Maybe you could scavenge some parts from one of those.

deama

Prophet
Good luck with your project. I love my Kensington, but it could certainly be more robust.

I think the old ugly ones from the 90s were tougher. Maybe you could scavenge some parts from one of those.
Eh, it's not about the toughness, rather I just want newer hardware cause the sensor is crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom