Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any thoughts on xcom 2?

Cadmus

Arcane
MMX was less of an Ubisoft game than Skyrim even though it had that brand slapped on it. I thought it was great.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
XCOM 2 is a great game if you accept the fact that it's a completely different experience than the old X-COM games.
As we discussed in the main thread of the game, it's more like a board game with a lot of nifty mechanics. It's great at that, a lot of fun.

Black

Arcane
XCOM 2 is a great game if you accept the fact that it's a completely different experience than the old X-COM games.
Uh huh, that's why it got pretty mediocre user rating on steam, bullshit bugs (or design, who knows) like broken line of sight, being able to see and be seen through solid floors, missing on 100% chance to hit.
From everything I read/see about it it looks like it should still be in development for at least a year.
But at least they got dlc planned already.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
The rating on steam is due to people getting out of their comfort zone due to a change in mechanics from XCOM1(addition of timers in many missions).
Also there are apparently a lot of performance issues but I personally don't have any problems.
There are bugs of course but...who expects a bug-free release these days? Not anything game breaking though.
Plus the mod support is fucking fantastic, I'm already playing with like 7-8 of them. There are around 200 available already with any kind of bullshit you can imagine. From mechanical changes to fucking sombreros

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hope since Xcom 2 is more moddable someone implements real AI for aliens and gives them all patrol routes from cover to cover and removes alien free move on discovery as well as the stupid pod system.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I hope since Xcom 2 is more moddable someone implements real AI for aliens and gives them all patrol routes from cover to cover and removes alien free move on discovery as well as the stupid pod system.
Why from cover to cover? Until they'd get attacked they should walk normally.

Black

Arcane
The rating on steam is due to people getting out of their comfort zone due to a change in mechanics from XCOM1(addition of timers in many missions).
Sure, don't let people being disappointed in this broken bugfest get in the way of your apologism.

There are bugs of course but...who expects a bug-free release these days? Not anything game breaking though.
Nigga, I ain't talking about silly bugs that can be worked around. I'm talking about bugs that will fuck you over, especially if you're playing on ironman. Broken line of sight and translucent buildings in a "tactical" game aren't just bugs, they're serious fuck ups..
Plus the mod support is fucking fantastic
Yes, "mods will fix it"- video games, 2016.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why from cover to cover? Until they'd get attacked they should walk normally.
If you are in concealment yes but not once you break it.

tindrli

Arcane
Bros im having a blast playing Long war on normal. actually its a first game in many many months that does not get BORING and really i dont know why everybody is shitting on it ..im in august first year still struggling, 2 days from Gauss weapons, 3 states are offline, also having hard time with air superiority and those damn exalt rpgwatchers faggots as i just figure out that RUNNING is a key and killing only when nothing else to do. As well im in constant doubt about who to appoint as a Mech and i just finished Bio implants but as usual cant decide which implants are really useful coz i think, on the end, im gona lose this one as aliens are satarting to have aaaaaaaa lot of points and they are really kicking my ass now.. just lost 3 Bros on a last mission

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Black are you asking about the game or you already have an opinion and you want a confirmation? If that's the case just do what you already believe, why should we waste our time telling you what we think?

Black

Arcane
Good, stop wasting everyone's time and quit trying to find excuses for XCOM 2's fuck ups.

tindrli

Arcane
just play long war first. and after 3 or 4 patches and 20+ mods in summer or autumn play xcom 2

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think there have already been mods that modify the AI as well as the pod system and the 'free move'

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
By the way, more faithful to the original 'modern' x-com is Ufo: Extraterrestrials. Had fun with the gold edition.

1266924d8988a5c2266.jpg

Sadly, it went vapourware before they released a sequel. Though they still claim to be "working" on it... as in changing the release date once a year.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think there have already been mods that modify the AI as well as the pod system and the 'free move'
Care to link any?
Got some links:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=622778878&searchtext=activate
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631501691&searchtext=activate
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618390218&searchtext=move
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=623053621&searchtext=move

These might be what you're seeking.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried to play that. Aliens kill you as fast as in UFO but you get a lot smaller squad. Also those 3d graphics were terrible.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Care to link any?
Got some links:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=622778878&searchtext=activate
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631501691&searchtext=activate
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618390218&searchtext=move
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=623053621&searchtext=move

These might be what you're seeking.
Tnx for links, I checked them all out and while some of them give parts of what I want none of them give nearly enough. And all are just tweaks for current "broken" system and I got no idea if they would even work together (two of them are interesting).
Although the one that activates all aliens on map could be interesting for challenge but it was published today and breaks who knows how many maps/missions.
Also it would not work if everyone just rushes your position, it is not enough to activate them. AI needs to be also changed to do a bit random and unpredictable moves like go back and circle the map like it did in original UFO

Mortmal

Arcane
ragequit after during MY FUCKING TURN enemies fucking appeared and moved around!!! after i had already moved 2 units!!! this is beyond stupid. did this happen in previous xcom games?

Not in the old true xcom, that new mechanism was introduced in the 2014 xcom. Thats a poorly thought mechanism, you know what people do to prevent that unfair added dififculty ? they just save scum it . You place carefully your team into cover you scout and get unluckly trigger the aliens who immediately go into cover runing all the planning you did during the turn, i hate that.
its not a bad game , the 3D action scen is neat but that doesnt add anything on gameplay.

Tnx for links, I checked them all out and while some of them give parts of what I want none of them give nearly enough. And all are just tweaks for current "broken" system and I got no idea if they would even work together (two of them are interesting).
Although the one that activates all aliens on map could be interesting for challenge but it was published today and breaks who knows how many maps/missions.
Also it would not work if everyone just rushes your position, it is not enough to activate them. AI needs to be also changed to do a bit random and unpredictable moves like go back and circle the map like it did in original UFO
I haven't seen any mods not work together, or any that have broken the game yet. The mod system seems to be pretty robust, but it does require you to start a new game for each type of mod that is either installed or removed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom