Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Any decent game review sites out there?

Machocruz

Arcane
Another place that might be worth something:

[URL]http://www.nohighscores.com/[/URL]

I particularly enjoyed their takedown of The Last of Us which doubles as a criticism of the game and a criticism of the literary standards, and the hyperbolic praise of certain games this leads to, of the video game industry.

uaciaut

Augur
Looking for sites that do some mainstream as we'll.

What's wrong with playing oldies?

I've played most of the oldies i like.

EDGY and circlejerk factors aside, codex reviews really are spot on for me, often summing up my experience and giving a good overview of what's worthy to pley.
Too bad reviews are rare, eh?

Too bad indeed :<

I know 99% of them are complete sellout shit but i wonder if by any chance there's any decent ones left to use at least as basic refference and such. Tia
gamespot and ign are without a doubt the most reliable and non biased

Quality post.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
http://www.learntocounter.com/

I'm sure some Codex contrarian will have something snarky to say about these, but they seem to make serious attempts at critique and analysis. Although, that being the case, I wouldn't recommend if you expect reviews on the latest games as they hit the street. Places like these are more likely to review games months after the fact.
Machocruz said:
Thanks for this, it has some quality read.

+1
You guys should check icycalm accusing this site of plagiarism: http://culture.vg/forum/topic?f=13&t=3797 There is some glorious rants there. Example:

And here's another thing. Let it be noted that I RESENT The Ghetto moron's co-opting of my terminology. For example, his use of my term "journlolists" is utterly inappropriate given the fact that the VAST MAJORITY OF THEM are BETTER at reviewing games than he is. Tim Rogers, for example, is a journlolist, and he's only A MILLION TIMES MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT GAMES AND MORE GENUINE THAN HE IS. The Ghetto moron simply has NO BUSINNESS making fun of these people and their work considering how TERRIBLE his own site and scribblings are. It's like how he pathetically tries to make fun of GameFAQs. He has an entire subforum titled "GameFAQs-quality discussion", and throws all trash-threads in there (as if his entire forum weren't trash...), but what he fails to realize is that GameFAQs contains HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of positively great comments and even great reviews, and more expertise and insight into videogames (some of which I have even quoted in threads and reviews here) than he will ever be able to plagiagiarize and dumb-down for his frontpage, and his failure to realize this is yet another proof of how stupid, ignorant and phony he is.

So "journlolists" my ass -- he WISHES he were as knowledgeable and perspicacious as the average journlolist is.

Check this rant in wish he defends EA(maybe i should double post this in the EA lol thread):

Let's make some more fun of this inveterate blabbermouth while exploding yet another popular fallacy that he's recently committed. The issue in question is the announcement of the two BioWare founders leaving the company to pursue other activities. And of course this is laid on the door of the evil EA corporashun:

http://www.learntocounter.com/forums/in ... 3#msg47813

MichaelJLowell wrote:Normally, I wouldn't post about something like this, because it's one of those moments that would exist for the sole purpose of reminiscing on Westwood, and Origin, and whatever other companies that Electronic Arts has run into the ground. "I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner" is in full play here.

All phrased to create the impression that he's been into games since the days of Westwood and Origin and knows all about them and their cool complex games, all the while he can't even review a bonkers simple "indie" abortion without rewriting the review a dozen times and still failing to produce a decent text.

So understand, you goddamn casual hypocrites, that EA has never "run into the ground" any company at all. If I get bored of running this site tomorrow, and pass it on to the first fuckface who offers me a load of cash, is it the fuckface's fault that Insomnia will be ruined, or the fact that I got tired of it and gave it up? If I hadn't given it up it would still have ended up ruined! Because the very reason I gave it up is because I became tired of it! And a person who is tired of a thing will of course end up fucking it up! Westwood and Origin and all those other companies EA has gobbled up WERE RUINED BY THEIR ORIGINAL OWNERS THE MOMENT THEY LOST INTEREST IN THEM TO THE EXTENT OF MAKING THEM PUBLIC COMPANIES (and thereby relinquishing control) OR OUTRIGHT SELLING THEM OUT. Richard Garriott became bored of games and went to play astronaut, while the Wing Commander dude went into the movies -- and their games had begun to suck EVEN BEFORE THEY LEFT. Ultima began losing the plot at 7, and by the time 9 came out was almost a joke, with the entire thing being capped off by UO, which not only destroyed the franchise but launched the monstrous abomination known as the MMORPG. So gimme a break with the bullshit that EA was somehow responsible for an Origin THAT NO LONGER EVEN EXISTED ONCE ITS MAIN DIRECTORS HAD GROWN TIRED OF GAME DESIGN ANYWAY. Of course the Ghetto moron and all the idiots on the internet from whom he is copying his "opinions" have no notion of any of this, since the only information they have on Origin and all the other old companies comes from Wikipedia, Google search results and IGN Top 100 lists. And now that the BioWare founders WHO HAVEN'T PRODUCED A GENUINELY GREAT GAME SINCE 2000 (2002 if we feel like being kind) finally decided they'd made enough cash and might as well leave to pursue their REAL interests (which they say are social sites and beer drinking), EA somehow becomes responsible for that.

The only puzzling thing about this whole business, which I noted recently in a forum post about Chris Roberts' comeback to videogames after he had finally become bored with making pure cutscenes, is why does EA bother with buying all these companies that are clearly on a downhill slide in the first place. And the only reasonable explanations I can come up with are 1) They simply want the IP and/or whatever talent/know-how exists in the company, not necessarily in order to use it in order to keep that company afloat (WHICH COMPANY NO LONGER EVEN EXISTS AFTER IT HAS BEEN GOBBLED UP AND ITS COMMAND STRUCTURE HAS BEEN COMPLETELY ALTERED), but in order to use it in EA productions in general, and 2) They geniunely believe they can improve the fortunes of these developers which have been essentially abandoned by their founders and chief creative minds.

Reason 1 is perfectly legit, and even a smart move; reason 2 is still legit but dumb, because, as I mentioned, the owners are the heart of the company and without them the only chance to avert disaster is to find an equal or bigger heart, and when we are talking about creators of the stature of Garriott and Roberts this is simply impossible, as it would be for anyone trying to step into my shoes.

So lay off EA and all the other wonderful corporations which have been giving us so many great experiences since the artform's inception, you fucking casual googling hypocrites. Are fucking Crysis, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, all coming out in the last few years, not enough for you? Oh but I forgot -- you don't really play games, but simply get off on blabbering about them and pretending to be authorities on the internet. The Ghetto moron gave Mirror's Edge two stars lol (-- until of course he reads this and rewrites his review to take into account my comments). And we are talking about a company that's been publishing games since The Bard's Tale in 1985! Which I played at the time and which was wondrous! For fuck's sakes the company's called "Electronic Arts" -- they knew the truth decades before any of you fuckfaces decided to hop onto the bandwagon (and for all the wrong reaons, no less). Has their overall quality level dropped since then? Perhaps, but I'd need statistics backed up by expert reviews of the kind only Insomnia publishes to be well and truly convinced of this fact -- and at any rate, even if their standards have decreased, what publisher's haven't? Have you played any Nintendo games lately? Perhaps all the inane misinformation which the googling generation is flooding the internet with may have something to do with this fact? I don't know, I am just throwing the idea out for your consideration! And at any rate a decline was inevitable with the expansion of the player base, so what's the point in blaming publishers for it? Should EA stop funding trash that makes a lot of bucks, where would the money come from to back something like Mirror's Edge which barely turns a profit? Here's some quotes from a recent email exchange I had with Shepton of Scathing Accuracy, during which I was trying to explain to him that games like Modern Warfare 2 or whatever are perfectly legitimate sequels, and that his business is to review the quality of a game and not its current market price.

Shepton wrote: my point in that instance is more that, from a development perspective, did it genuinely cost the company so much time and money to make the game that's almost exactly like its predecessor down to the vast majority of its source code?
I wrote:First off, engines can be so expensive to make nowadays, that they are often written with the EXPECTATION that it will take several copy-paste sequels to recoup their costs. If you demand a brand-new engine ("source code") for every single goddamn game, be prepared to be asked for $200 per title instead of $60.

Secondly,

Shepton wrote:did it genuinely cost the company so much time and money to make the game?

That's not how market economies function. What are you, a communist? The seller picks a price, to quote me from my article, "not according to the quality of each game or to how much money and effort was required to make it, but according to how much they think they can get away with given current market conditions", and the market votes with its wallet at which point the seller decides whether or not to adjust the price accordingly. Besides which, videogame publishers generally LOSE MONEY on games, just like the movie studios, and the extra profits from the more successful titles help bankroll the less successful and more daring ones. In short, as I will explain in a future article "leave bean counting to the bean counters" and focus on playing and analyzing games, and the financial side will take care of itself as it always has. Even I, with my absurdly overinflated ego, do not claim to pass judgement on the increasingly complicated financial gauntlet that is modern game development, and it is safe to assume that everything written on the subject by videogame journalists and fans ever has been horseshit. lol people can't afford a 60 dollar game and they want to play the judge on international corporate finance lol. But I'll shut up now because I think you get my gist.

And that's exactly what I'll do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom