Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another FO3 topic

fastpunk

Arbiter
Hey peoplez! I'm new to the forums though I've been reading some of the articles on the news pages. I mainly come here for FO3 news. I must admit, I thought VD was exaggerating about the whole Bethesda - Fallout stuff but after reading that Game Informer article (and nearly falling off my chair a couple of times) I kind of changed my mind. Survival game my a**!

So here is the thing: It's obvious it doesn't matter now but who do you guys think should have been the developer of FO3? When I heard about FO3 I thought Obsidian should have been the natural choice but... sh*t happens...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Troika.

Or Black Isle, who should have finished Van Buren. That would've been awesome.

Or, from companies who are still alive, Blizzard. Seriously. They would at least make the game fun and make a halfway decent story [they made something great there with Starcraft].

An by the way, there are enough FO3 threads there already.

Dark Matter

Prophet
JarlFrank said:
Or, from companies who are still alive, Blizzard. Seriously. They would at least make the game fun and make a halfway decent story [they made something great there with Starcraft].
Starcraft storyline was alright, but the Warcraft III storyline was cheesy as hell, and a complete rehash of the Starcraft storyline. And all their storylines revolve around some large scale or "epic" conflict. Plus, their games are even more kid friendly than Bethesda's games.

Out of the companies that are still alive, Obsidian is probably the most capable of creating a true Fallout sequel.

sqeecoo

Arcane
What's with all the people joining the Codex? Are we getting popular?

Welcome, guys.

I hope you are not alts.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I must agree with DarkMatter, Blizzard doesn't seem to have what it takes to deliver the depth a FO game should have.

It's pretty hard to find a developer that could do an FO3 game properly. I still think Obsidian would have been the only decent choice, no matter what you guys think about them. :P After all, people who worked on FO and FO2 (especially on FO2) are now working at Obsidian :wink: ...

Deacdo

Liturgist
Who knows? Maybe the developer of Afterfall would be in better shape if they had the FO3 license. People here seem high on them.

That said, no FO3 at all would suite me fine. Troika and BIS were going to make their games with crappy real-time combat, anyway (though the rest of the game may have been OK).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Deacdo said:
Who knows? Maybe the developer of Afterfall would be in better shape if they had the FO3 license. People here seem high on them.

That said, no FO3 at all would suite me fine. Troika and BIS were going to make their games with crappy real-time combat, anyway (though the rest of the game may have been OK).

Actually, BIS developed Van Buren, and they planned both RT as well as TB combat for it. The original 2 FOs were also made by them. Troika included TB combat in Arcanum [which sucked] and in TOEE [which was one of the best combat systems ever].
Also, why should the rest of the game be only okay? PST had great story. It was made by BIS. Arcanum and Bloodlines had great story. Both made by Troika. Storywise those guys are unbeatable. They made some of the best RPGs ever.

Baphomet

Scholar
Lots of "Troika" responses. I like them as much as the next guy, although I just realized that the possible responses to this question come in two flavors. Would you prefer a company that flawlessly produces worthless crap or a company that produces flawed but inspired crap?

Ander Vinz

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Or, from companies who are still alive, Blizzard. Seriously. They would at least make the game fun and make a halfway decent story [they made something great there with Starcraft]
I doubt they need other's franchises to make selling and fun games. Blizzard is all-sufficient.

Texas Red

Whiner
Amasius said:
Bugs can be fixed but shitty design is forever.

You guys. I for one still enjoyed the combat of Arcanum or Bloodlines.

By the way, ToEE is complete opposite of the other Troika games. It has little depth(yet still they managed to deliver a rich, strangely attractive atmoshpere and great movies) but the combat is unmatched. Hm, this is rarely mentioned.

Deacdo

Liturgist
JarlFrank said:
Deacdo said:

Actually, BIS developed Van Buren, and they planned both RT as well as TB combat for it. The original 2 FOs were also made by them. Troika included TB combat in Arcanum [which sucked] and in TOEE [which was one of the best combat systems ever].
Also, why should the rest of the game be only okay? PST had great story. It was made by BIS. Arcanum and Bloodlines had great story. Both made by Troika. Storywise those guys are unbeatable. They made some of the best RPGs ever.
I know the history. RT & TBed is almost as bad as RT only (possibly worse, depending).

I wasn't referring specifically to the story, just the rest of the game in general. Why would have been "just OK"? That's more to do with the publishers/resources available than the developer themselves. Troika was every publisher's bitch and never successfully finished a game and Interplay was going to die, and drag VB down with it anyway. In a perfect world either could have made a great FO3...but it was never going to happen around the times they were trying to make it.

stargelman

Scholar
Baphomet said:
Would you prefer a company that flawlessly produces worthless crap or a company that produces flawed but inspired crap?
You have to ask? Besides Bethsoft isn't famous for their bugfree products either :lol:

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Duh said:
inwoker said:
Actually, in a Morissette-style irony given the course of this thread, he's at Blizzard.
I heard the same thing but I can't find the source of this information. Where did you read that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom