Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another Fallout 3 preview (with a little bit new info)

Suchy

Arcane
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?optio ... mitstart=0

Is it a next-gen trend? Referring to ghouls as zombies...
The next encounter, which saw Hines beset by two staggering radiation-zombies, known as ghouls, was dealt with using the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (or VATS) – Bethesda’s solution to the lack of pure turn-based combat.
Honestly I don't remember a single hostile ghoul in Fallout 2 (and only a bunch in Fallout 1).

I like the bit about dialogues though
It’s a section designed to introduce the player to the kind of social interactions, depth of conversation, dialogue and consequences that Hines tells us persist throughout the later game.
(...)
“This is the Vault bully, Butch, and his little cronies,” says Hines pointing at a table of youths. “They’ll start talking about how they’re forming a gang and what they want to call their gang. He wants the sweet roll that Mrs Palmer gave me, and there are a variety of different options here. I can wuss out and give it to him, I can ask him if we can share, I can spit on it and give it to him, I can tell him to go suck his head, I can insult his mom – so we give the player a lot of choices and how Butch will react depends upon these different choices, so if I choose one of these last two options he basically gets up to fight me.”

Hines instead opts to spit on the sweet roll and offer it to Butch. “I don’t want your nerd cooties,” replies Butch. “You’re going to be sorry you did that.” The choice here, says Hines, then affects how other characters view you.
“If I had egged Butch into a fight, then [the girl you met earlier] will be like: ‘I can’t believe Butch tried to fight you on your birthday – what a jerk’. And then you get more dialogue options – ‘Can’t you get your dad to get him to leave me alone?’ or ‘Don’t worry, I would have kicked his ass’.”

Now this i definitely do not like:
Later, Hines talks about the significance of these kinds of decisions in the game: “It’s not always about one specific choice that opens one door and closes another, it’s more about your character’s karma
So I can't play a spoiled daddy's boy who, after seeing how hard are conditions and living outside the vault, gets through moral change and starts helping people - because my karma is bad and I only get evul quests?
I hope that "not always" equals "sometimes"...

As for the quality of the dialogue’s delivery, Hines emphasized that all the voice-acting, apart from Liam Neeson’s turn as your father, was temporary

Faceless

Novice
Wow! That's really lazy right there.
The question assisted class creation system in Morrowind had that exact same scenario.
The only difference being that you got one more option:
To throw the roll on the ground, stomp on it, and then get ready for a fight.

Still, the dialogue does sound promising.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Faceless said:
Still, the dialogue does sound promising.

Uhuh, very promising. The idea with the bully is just pants-on-head retarded. And the whole thing about multiple choices in dialogs is probably one of those Fargoth-type gimmicks that Bethesda created just to hype the game.

Section8

Cipher
It's cute that they've put the character creation questions that have been in the Elder Scrolls for 15 years and various Ultimas for even longer into a more interactive format, but it's a lot of time and energy into something that's purely window dressing.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Section8 said:
It's cute that they've put the character creation questions that have been in the Elder Scrolls for 15 years and various Ultimas for even longer into a more interactive format, but it's a lot of time and energy into something that's purely window dressing.

Oh but it sure does add to immershun :wink:

Mareus

Magister
I suppose no one here thinks Hines and his Bethseda buddies will lie to us again. I remember when he was talking about Oblivion and he said there will be consequence to everything you do. He promised NPCs with personality, bigger world and better quests than Morrowind had. He was talking about NPCs interacting with enviorment and reacting differently on you based on your previous accomplishments. Many, many things he was promising that never came true.

Those dialog options look a lot like character creating questions and the options he was talking about may as well prove to be just a way to taunt people. Bethseda never managed to create a decent dialog game, so I really think he is just doing his job and lying to people so FO3 would sell better.

I see another BEST RPG EVAR tale.

MetalCraze

Arcane
goddamnit what a shitty dialogues are there. I felt like I'm watching some b-teen-drama at some retarded tv channel for kids.

DoppelG

Scholar
I have come to the point where every preview or interview of Fallout 3 as a manner of speaking comes into one eye and leaves the other without passing through my brain. My brain simply refuses to spent any energy translating all the lies and hypes and gimmicks and whatnot. Only something concrede will get my attention.

ironman3000

Novice
Suchy said:
Honestly I don't remember a single hostile ghoul in Fallout 2 (and only a bunch in Fallout 1).

It must have been a long time since you played it then. The random encounters in Fallout 2 give you plenty of these shotgun toting hostile ghouls.

Texas Red

Whiner
ironman3000 said:
Suchy said:

It must have been a long time since you played it then. The random encounters in Fallout 2 give you plenty of these shotgun toting hostile ghouls.

Not really. The overwhelming majority were simple humans. Observe that Bethesda has yet to release a picture of human versus human combat, despite people being the most common enemy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you only sometimes get ghoul encounters near Gecko.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And those ghouls are sometimes even together with humans if I remember correctly, and they're "ghoul bandits" and not just simple ghouls.

Texas Red

Whiner
I don't know why Pete(r?) chose a dialog between children when he had the opportunity to showcase the awesomeness. Who the hell wants to play as a child anyway?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dark Individual said:
I don't know why Pete(r?) chose a dialog between children when he had the opportunity to showcase the awesomeness. Who the hell wants to play as a child anyway?

The target audience can identify better with children than with grown-ups.

MetalCraze

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
skyway said:
Suchy said:
Actually it was a dialogue between kids.

why is it in Fallout?

Because you... play a kid for the first 30 minutes of the game?

yes. but why is all of it in Fallout?

what a generic tv school story about the gang of bullies and childish relationships is doing in... Fallout?
with shitty written dialogues I must add.

ironman3000

Novice
Dark Individual said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you only sometimes get ghoul encounters near Gecko.

Yes, and you get mutant random encounters only once you get towards the end of the map towards the military base in Fallout 2. What's your point?

JarlFrank said:
And those ghouls are sometimes even together with humans if I remember correctly, and they're "ghoul bandits" and not just simple ghouls.

That's not a point I'm trying to argue. I'm just saying you get hostile ghouls. Ghoul bandits and ghouls are the same race.

The issue I have with the press release is that Bethesda has reduced ghouls to radiation infected zombies. The ghouls are supposed to be living, thinking beings. Not brain dead zombies.

Suchy

Arcane
ironman3000 said:
Suchy said:

Not that long, in fact I'm replaying it right now - did GECK quest like 10 mins ago. I haven't yet fought a hostile ghoul even in a random encounter. Maybe I'm just lucky.

hiver

They are around Gecko. Mostly Ghoul crazies and some glowing ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom