Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An obscure little game by the name of Hammer and Sickle.

Cholo

Arcane
Terrific RPG, and in a few ways a superior tactics game to the two Silent Storms. It has a fun CYOA feeling and provides an interesting Russian perspective on the early Cold War. It's significantly ambitious in that it tries to tackle both a reactive / branching C&C heavy rpg story and a dense turn base tactical system. Sort of what Wasteland 2 should have been but evidently was not. More folks should try it out, it may scratch an itch you didn't know you had.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
H&S can be a bit of a shocker if you expected a straight follow up to the previous SS titles.
Yes, very much this. I played SS and Sentinels many times over and had a hard-on the size of the Eiffel tower when I got my hands on H&S, yet I didn't get far in it. It felt too scripted and story driven for my liking.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Hammer & Sickle is quite punishing if you compare it to S2 and S3. You can think of its core gameplay as optimization. You need to do the most within the timeframe you get given, and in actual combat you are going to do it very tight or bad thing happen unannounced.

The limited time window can be quite wide if you already have a checklist of shit you are going to do: train your shooting, hand2hand, 1st aid, throwing, etc... if you are creative you can even manipulate events to your liking.

To compare this with JA2: JA2 give you more option in combat, from sniper position to mortar. Some battlefield can be wide open. But Hammer Sickle, in a sense, is more action movie, hit straight to your gut. You can even watch your guys get into shooting stance.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
From what I understand in H&S you should avoid open combat and do it full on stealthy? I've played S2 and S3 and really liked the multi-aproach to various combat scenarios.

Goblino

Savant
The thing about hammer and sickle that hooked me was that it's almost a realistic espionage simulator. You should definitely be as stealthy as possible, but that doesn't always work out. You should play by ear for the first couple playthroughs and do as much as you can not to look up a guide. Only savescum where you really need to or when you lose somebody you love.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's a stealthy spy game, so it's rewarding and easier if you do that approach, plus you are not that strong to do frontal. On the other hand, you can do frontal assault in lots of battle without story consequence.

Example, the second to last battles, both open side and tunnel side, can do that way. You can stealthily sneak in, cut a few throats and get out, repeat ala assassin style. But you can open fire at extreme range just for shits and giggles.

The briefs should show you where stealth can help you, give you stuffs for storypoint. Otherwise you are free to choose your approach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom