Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol Roundtable posted at seganerds.com

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
http://www.seganerds.com/wp-content/upl ... able_1.pdf

No facial structure customization but you can seemingly mess around with facial hair.
10 skills, but they mention skills for each of 4 weapon types plus close combat skills so as far as I can tell half your skills are combat. Other skills mentioned are hacking, damage resistance, and lock-picking. Stealth seems pretty much based on hacking cameras, staying out of sight, using sound suppressors, and apparently equipment to lower your audio profile to enhance sneaking up behind people for takedowns. Game also includes jumping (its presence is not exciting, but its absence in a shooter is pretty annoying, such as in Mass Effect), zip-lining, and some form of cover system. No mention of any light/dark mechanics or shooting out lights or body-hiding for ultimate Sam Fisher goodness, though. Specifically, "there are no big tricks to it."

Gun-skill upgrades increase damage and critical hit chances most of all. It's seemingly implied that if you are good at shooters, you won't necessarily need to upgrade the gun skills so much. They say that upping your gun skill 'won't improve your aim necessarily' so I get from that that it either won't improve your aim at all, or that it's minimal at best. So I don't foresee having trouble aiming weapons like you did in Deus Ex if you weren't trained with them. They also say that you can compensate for lack of character skill in weapons by using weapon mods, or obviously, the mods will further your weapon mastery. However, upgrading skills unlocks the special abilities like Chain Shot (essentially a Time Stop spell that lets you line up a bunch of shots, unfreeze time, and then pretty much instantly blast everyone you targeted) for the pistol which can be used in conjunction with a sound suppressor so seemingly you can kill like 5+ guys all in one room in 2 seconds without making a noise. Chain Shot in particular (no mention of others) is on a cool-down timer rather than being per day or based on any sort of energy bar (like I believe Bullet Time mechanics usually are in all the games which use that).

However, in talking about how important to them the gun mechanics and such are, Chris Parker specifically says "You don't have to use them." I don't know if that's a promise or whatever but if it's the truth either you can viably do everything hand-to-hand or maybe even avoid combat altogether.

Most equipment mentioned is weapon modifications, which they say you 'find.' Very little explanation of the gadgets beyond saying that they wanted gadgets that you'd use more often rather then stuff from the Bond movies. So perhaps some stuff from Sam Fisher's arsenal or other things.

No mention if dialogue is at all skill based, and I assume that it isn't, although there are apparently at least 2 unmentioned skills. However, there aren't really dialogue options but rather stances that seemingly if you would prefer the game play like a shooter you can just pick a stance at the beginning of a conversation and just watch the whole thing play out like it's Halflife 2 or something.

Still discussing downloadable content with Sega, but no promises. Actually seemed kind of pissy when asked about it. "I hate that question. We’re still working it out with SEGA. We’ll have more information in the future it’s just that nothing has been decided actually. Sorry."

The faction system seems entirely dependent on various choices you make and as far as I can tell won't be dependent on character builds. I could be wrong, though. Stealth seems like it will be enhanced by character skills but more dependent on player skill.

Seems like it could be a pretty fun game. Not much RPG in the combat despite whatever skill system they've devised. I mean, in Splinter Cell you could sneak and do everything hand-to-hand, you could avoid everyone entirely, or you could just murder everyone (which went against the premise of the game, but you could do it on most levels). I wouldn't be upset if they ditched the skill system and just let players play the game how they want. Though I suppose unlocking some really badass takedown moves will be cool. The real role-playing in the game will simply come in the choices you make and the factions you align yourself with.

Basically I'd love the gameplay of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory with many times over the choices and consequences of Splinter Cell: Double Agent (no consequences until the last mission, 2 choices before the last mission affected the ending, and 1 choice at the beginning of the last mission greatly affected the last mission and the ending...plus the Trust meter affected the ending and several choices affected the trust meter I suppose).

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
A few different things on IGN, perhaps clarifying or contradicting stuff in the Roundtable, so some of it could be wrong (as the roundtable is direct quotes from Obsidian and the IGN article is not made up of direct quotes).

A lot of RPGs in real-time will pause when you have to make a decision, so you can think about what you want to do. Alpha Protocol has a timer that only gives you a handful of seconds to choose.

I assume this timer will start during dialogue and will not allow pausing mid-dialogue. One IGN poster doesn't like it, though, issuing a challenge to Obsidian. "I don't think that it would be a good move to put a timer on the decision making process. Some of us like to take our time at these critical points in RPGs , such as Mass Effect, and the timer would only make me feel rushed, like to make the wrong decision. They should prove me wrong."

This embassy mission served as the E3 demo, as the goal is to talk to an important NPC inside. As soon as you're inside the embassy it comes under attack by forces of a rival agency, and depending on how you dealt with the guard can affect how the battle unfolds. If you were nice and the guard let you in, then you'll fight alongside the Marines against the invaders. But if you pulled your gun on him and were hostile, then you'll be in a three-way battle, with the Marines, you, and the invaders battling one another.

Seemingly based entirely on character choice and not dependent on diplomacy skill.

You're more accurate the more points that you invest in a given firearm skill, and as you invest points you unlock special abilities. It's sort of like how skill points work in Mass Effect. For instance, dumping points into the pistol skill will give you the ability to blind fire around corners and critically hit opponents.

The bolded portion seems in contrast to the roundtable, but could be based on different interpretations of 'accuracy.' Sure, the bullet is going to go where the gun is aimed regardless of your skill level, but I would like to know if skill level will effect gun stability and recoil. I assume you can blind-fire around corners even without skills, but it would be funny if you actually had to train before being able to aim while behind cover. I'm amused in the latest games where I can line up my shot with my back turned and then pop up and shoot a guy in the head and then get right back to cover. Perhaps if that at least required some sort of skill investment... But still, cover systems where you can do that make most parts of these shooters pretty easy.

Then there are some special attacks that you can also queue up as well. One lets you basically go on a rampage with effectively unlimited ammunition, while another gives you a version of bullet time that lets you target three enemies in slow motion. It then kicks back to real-time, unleashing a fusillade of fire.

So perhaps Chain Shot wasn't quite as ridiculous as I thought. But all previous descriptions make it sound more like a Time-Stop thing rather than bullet time. Or, rather, we might as well just call it fucking slow motion but regardless it seems a little too common in 3rd-person shooters. I don't really know what this rampage ability is...you have unlimited ammo regardless (though you do have to reload the gun).

This is a game that will give you a wide range of action. You can be a saint, or you can be a total hard ass, to the point of shooting an unarmed prisoner in the head and then telling your superiors that he pulled a gun on you. Such actions will have long-term consequences that you might not foresee, and it also promises a wide amount of replayability.

Hmmm...an unarmed prisoner pulled a gun on you? Where exactly is this prisoner being held that you could make a claim that he pulled a gun on you? Hopefully it's plausible or you might have to have a really high Bluff skill.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
If I remember correctly from my time spent on AP, the weapon skills effect several tings.

The rate at which critical hits are generated.
Unlocking of new weapon specific abilities (like chain shot and bullet storm).
Damage.

Aiming is still player skill based.

Lumpy

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
If I remember correctly from my time spent on AP, the weapon skills effect several tings.

Damage.

Great.
Any idea how many bullets it will take to kill somebody? One? A full drum unloaded from one foot away?

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Anthony Davis said:

Damage.

Is it too late to add an optional lock on that's character skill based for aiming? One of the worst things about Oblivion as an RPG was the "player aims, character skill deals damage" model they used and I'm very sad to hear Obsidian would do the same thing.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Lumpy said:
Anthony Davis said:

Damage.

Great.
Any idea how many bullets it will take to kill somebody? One? A full drum unloaded from one foot away?

Depends on where you shoot them.

A critical head shot will kill almost any non-boss in the game - at least last time I played it.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
"A critical head shot will kill almost any non-boss in the game"

So a headshot that's not critical won't neccessarily kill normal enemies? Ehue. And baddies that can take multiple headshots?

Well, it worked in Bloodlines, but then again, you were mostly shooting supernatural creatures. If AP is trying to push the realism side it'll just seem weird, if its a little over-the-top or not too serious it'll fit in fine.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Anthony Davis said:

Damage.

I'm not sure how much I like skill-point based weapon usage, though I do think that having it unlock new abilities is cool.

I simply think it's a little silly for my character's skill to affect how much damage a bullet does. I mean, come on, this isn't a sword that I'm swinging, and it's not a bow that's dependent on how far back I can pull the arrow. It's a bullet of a certain weight and a certain shape being fired at a certain angle at a certain speed into someone's body. At least not base damage. Just the critical hit percentage would be okay, like a luck roll to see if you nick a vital part of the brain or an artery or whatnot.

But I also don't really think that, being a trained agent, I shouldn't be at least competent with any weapon in the game (which is apparently the case). I think it's kind of silly in Deus Ex, for example, how if you don't train in rifles you can't hit anything and leveling up increases base damage, even for things like grenades and rocket launchers.

I'll most likely avoid the weapons if I can, I'd love to be able to play the game full out Sam Fisher stealth/close-combat. The weapon skills simply don't seem necessary if you can be accurate without them, and if you can get weapon mods to compensate for lack of skill.

But, is Alpha Protocol seriously going to have boss fights? Humans that can take more gunshots to the head than others, seriously? Is there a single enemy in Splinter Cell that requires more than one bullet to the head (perhaps a few guys in full riot gear with thick helmets, but certainly none of the 'bosses'?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Kingston said:

So a headshot that's not critical won't neccessarily kill normal enemies? Ehue. And baddies that can take multiple headshots?

Well, it worked in Bloodlines, but then again, you were mostly shooting supernatural creatures. If AP is trying to push the realism side it'll just seem weird, if its a little over-the-top or not too serious it'll fit in fine.

Some of the tougher bad guys have body armor.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anthony Davis said:
Kingston said:

Some of the tougher bad guys have body armor.

I think helmets or other head armor would be more appropriate than body armor in this case.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
sgsgtx9.jpg

I know you probably meant full body armor. I don't think they negate headshots though. Still, its less of a stretch of the imagination than a cocaine lord in a havana shirt taking all of your arsenal without, you know, dying.

I'm just a bit confused at whom Alpha Protocol is being aimed for. Is it realistic, is it tongue-in-cheek, is it serious business, does it have fantastical elements etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom