Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Alpha Protocol gets an enhanced rerelease on GOG after five years in licensing hell

Azdul

Magister
Certain revered RPG was insisting on setting window size to 0x0.

Another well known RPG is using rarely used DirectX "mirror" flag.

Will you tell us their names?
First one was Gothic 1. I still remember the line from "readme" where Piranha Bytes said that they don't know if their game runs on Windows 95.

When it comes to second one - I've tried it on newest drivers - and both Nvidia and Intel still cannot implement DirectX 7 API:
YUIdLQi.png

I mean - it's not THAT hard to do - even on Windows.

deuxhero

Arcane
How low are GOG sales if this is one of their best sellers? Either it's currated or GOG's audience never buys stuff on Steam.
You don't want to buy decade old Windows games on Steam.

While trying to run it on modern PC - outdated DRM is one less hassle to worry about. Alpha Protocol is the best proof for that - one fine day its fancy copy protection just stopped working - and Ubisoft just couldn't be bothered to fix it.

Sure - sometimes when the game is released on GOG first - publisher sells exactly the same version on Steam later on. But it is far from guaranteed.
There's plenty of issues with games on GOG as well. Steam is usually much cheaper and games this old are so cheap as to be disposable so I'm not too concerned if the official version broke. Always back ups if you want to find them.
Sure - there are also issues with GOG games.

If the game won't start on 64-bit Windows or Windows 10/11 - Valve will give you refund. But they don't feel responsible for checking if the game they sell even runs and most definitely not for fixing it - and for wasting your time.

GOG at least try to run the game on modern hardware and OS. Even if the game does not run great - it can be finished on default settings.

If the game is new and actively supported by developer or publisher - It's less of an issue. But for older games Valve hands-off approach doesn't work.
I recall seeing certain games on Steam ages ago (pre-Proton) with a header in the description that essentially said "This game may not support modern operating systems/hardware. Buy at your own risk." with formatting that looked like it was store level, but I can't find it anymore.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Heard a lot about this game but I just dont see it

Seems like nothing special tbh and dialogue is kinda similar to FNV

I am just very skeptical about anything made by Obsidian after SWKotOR 2...
Dialogues in AP are genuinely unique and you can truly appreciate them only during the second/third/fourth playthrough. Also its like THE ONLY spy Bond/Bourne type of rpg in existence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom