Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens RPG might have been cancelled

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
Why should Jeff Vogel make something else? He's been making games for the last 15 years, making enough money to support himself and a few employees. I don't think he cares about becoming the market leader.

Vogel is the sales leader of his niche market (and do note that his games are always first released for Mac). If someone started making identical games with the same business model, then they'd cut into Vogel's share of the market.

Vault Dweller said:
The simple truth is that no business can get 100% of the market and there is always a place for someone else offering something different. Iron Tower will never be a market leader and our games will never ever sell millions, but low budget/overhead will allow us to do fine selling a fraction of what the market leaders sell.

No business can get 100% of the overall market, but can dominate a smaller niche market. Say, if you're making games for Amiga for example.

Why so many indie games are made for "loss" is simply due to little understanding of the market they are going for. Classic RPG's market is untapped at the moment; many people have simply stopped purchasing games (me included) as they are not getting the product they'd wish for. So once a "real" RPG comes out on the market, this segment of customers might be activated. The sales may even be significant enough to warrant another game.

Now the tricky question here is: will they buy another game? Was this purchase a simple nostalgia trip for the customer, or do they want more?

Spiderweb Software is remarkable in the sense that they've maintaned certain level-headedness in their "strategic" decisions. Frequent iterations of the same basic product with small improvements. The risks are low, thus Spiderweb has survived for this long. It'd been quite easy to "go wild" after the peak in their sales and start doing something bigger and more ambitious.

I think that independent game developers are quite alike to artists. In order to become good enough, they'll works for years (decades) without any real revenue. And like artists, very few are able to make a lifetime living out of their art.

Eldritch

Scholar
Davaris said:
Eldritch said:
My only hope is that when the much more capable 3d game engines of the future become available at the disposal of guys like VD and his Iron Tower, that dumbass kid won't cry at the "blocky animations" of the combat video and actually play the damn thing and realize Oh god, that shit really is HEAVAN... I think that's what it'll take to break the cycle.

Even with engines like that, Indies still couldn't afford to get the fancy art that they'd need to have any hope of competing with the AAAs.

I think I should've explained what I meant there more clearly. You don't exactly have to "match" the graphics quality of AAA titles. I know 3d art assets are tedious work. I know it requires talent. But as the tools of the trade become more and more available the already talented people who can use them pretty adequently also becomes much more prevalent. The key here is just overcoming a certain threshold in quailty to make it look "good enough" for the unwashed masses to just notice your game. You don't have to have the top-notch art, you don't have to hire teh Leonard Boyarsky. M&B has extremely average looking low-poly graphics made by a couple of nerds of the garden variety from my third world country which manages to look just "cool enough" in action to make even the dumbest of fucks to notice and play the damn thing and get addicted. I've never seen anyone no matter how retarded graphics whores they are to refuse to play that action game with stats because of how it looks. And action games REALLY have to look good, much more than rpg's and you know what? M&B looks good enough not because it has the top-notch high-poly graphics made by the slave labour of three hundred boyarsky clones locked in a dusty old ottoman dungeon in Ankara. It looks good enough because it manages to at least look "cool" thanks to its average horsie animations and battlefield sceneries which looks fun and not sucky enough to repulse the average joe when first seeing it. It's innovative gameplay making up for its crude graphics even got the game a publisher and they're now working on a sequal with I hear a much bigger team. And because its publisher happily realized now an innovative game design actually sells, it'll probably be something in the same vein and hopefully bigger in scope and more complete thanks to the bigger team and the financial support it EARNED.

Age of Decadence isn't just an action game with stats and much more difficult to make than a game like M&B. It has a collossal amount of content compared to M&B which probably requires a lot of work. They chose to make their game with the Torque engine because it provides the necessary ease of use to graphically convey the amount of content present in such a game in 3D. A guy called Oscar VD found in a forum who is just one of the legions of extremely talented young people who are found in the modding scene, just one of those talented motherfuckers from the first world to the third world putting the "professional" artists to shame whom all of them aren't necessarily graduated from some faggoty high society art school of pleasantville expected from a "professional" designer who'll suck the benjamin franklin out of you. This Oscar squeezes the fuck out of the torque engine, worked wonders with what he had to work with which is no small feat but it just isn't enough. It doesn't break the threshold of looking cool enough necessary to get the industry-brainwashed average joe to at least try it out. I don't care if the animations are a little blocky or the graphics don't look that good but the average joe is conditoned to care. How many of you didn't have a dumb brother or a friend at one point who scoffed at an old game like fallout he saw you playing based on its looks alone and became rabidly addicted to the thing when you "persuaded" the little bitch to try out the "good stuff"..? Of course, as a developer, everyone isn't your little brother or friend you can physically intimidate to try out the game you have to make it look at least cool enough to make them notice the game while the gameplay of the like they've never seen before works its magic and shows em' heathens the light once they've tried it out themselves!

The whole thing kinda works like a trap.

M&B-/This game looks a little shitty but oh look it has horsies in it you can ride lemme at least try the demo out.....holy fuck I can't stop playing!

(Success!!! -because you lured the bastard to try your game thanks to some innovative eye-candy that caught his attention despite your painfully average graphics and the good gameplay has already blown his fragile little mind.)

AoD-/BAWWWW the animations are blocky, combat looks so boring *pre-orders dragon age*...

(Fail!!! -because like expected from this particular species' infinite capability of superficial prejudice using their visual sensory organs the little bitch didn't even try the game and the superior gameplay had no chance to work its magic.)

Future AoD!-/Hmmm... The graphics are a little meh but the cool looking assassin dude choosing to target various body parts looks really fun, lol groin shot! lemme at least try the demo out......holy fuck I can't stop playing! *future dragon age rots in a corner*

(Success!!! -because of a visual gimmick or a magical gestalt achieved by a much more capable cheap/free future game engine the game at least catches some attention and starts spreading like a virus because the game has superior gameplay people have never seen before while the future dragon age with much more superior graphic assets fucking tanks despite all the six figures spent into "art" because it is realized that the same boring fast food formula that never changes no matter how tasty it looks wasn't really that tasty at all.)

Maybe it's not that impossible for future indies with creative ideas making really good games to eventually achieve unexpected successes to break the cycle of mediocrity by changing peoples expectations, forcing the publishers to match their standards. Maybe Armagan shouldn't have caved to the publisher and worked on M&B a bit more and perfect it, to achieve an even greater impact on the industry with much more success. A M&B with a much more complete content being developed would have never been outside the radar of a publisher anyway. I didn't buy the released version of M&B yet partly for this reason but I'll make sure everyone I know and their dogs buy AoD because every Oscar in this planet doesn't get a chance to work at bioware and there's no telling what wonders future Oscars can achieve with the more advanced tools of the trade they'll have at their disposal. They might just trigger a golden age of crpgs! Even if this strategy fails in getting us more good games with a bigger scope and a more free atmosphere for the talented Boyarsky and Avellones who ask for a lotta monies to hire to create us things, we'll still keep getting good games at least. win-win.

Davaris said:
Read some books on marketing.

"This is where I make an argument from authority without identifying the authority."

Everyone knows that the leading religious texts make clear that "thou shalt not be number three, for the bronze medal is an abomination, no matter its luster, neither shall there be more than three oil companies, nay, nor three children, for the third is forbidden, and must be struck down (but only by a hammer made by the number one or two tools manufacturer)."

So sayeth Davaris, the prophet, pbuh.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Vault Dweller:

What a load of crap. Business is about generating profit, not about being number 1 or number 2 and pwning the market.

Its about being 1 or 2 in your niche. It is also about picking a niche that is large enough to support the real costs of making your games. Have you billed every hour at market rates, that you have worked on your game? Is your niche big enough to support that cost? Time will tell.

Why should Jeff Vogel make something else?

Where did I say that?

I don't think he cares about becoming the market leader.

Like it or not he is the market leader in his field because he was the first RPG maker on the net and has been around the longest. Also his niche is turnbased 2D RPGs, with big maze maps. If anyone goes up against him they will find the going very tough. Why? Because gaining new customers is much harder than keeping them. That is also something you will learn in marketing books.

The simple truth is that no business can get 100% of the market

Where did I say that?

and there is always a place for someone else offering something different.

That is true. Is there anyone else offering Choices and Consequences (TM)? If you keep your message simple that is where your audience will be. You will also be the first to specifically offer it, so kudos on that.

I also predict that over time you will start spending more on the way your games look, because your returns will increase as you do so. Already you have moved from 2D programmer art to 3D art done by an artist, so at some level you already understand this.

Iron Tower will never be a market leader and our games will never ever sell millions, but low budget/overhead will allow us to do fine selling a fraction of what the market leaders sell.

You cannot make any statement about your sales, until you start selling your game. Like I said earlier, logical argument in forums means nothing. The only thing that counts is market performance.

EDIT:
I should add that market research if done properly, can be an indicator of market potential.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Haba:
Great answer

Eldritch:
I agree with most of what you are saying. However what I am saying is the real costs are beyond that which an Indie can afford even if they go "ugly" 3D. The only way it can be done by someone in their late teens or early 20s, is to get an artist who will work for royalties. As I pointed out earlier, they are rarer than hens teeth, because artist culture expects the money upfront payment model (freelance).

Lemunde:
>I'm calling shinanigans. You've never read any books on marketing, have you?

As for books on marketing, try Seth Godin and Marty Neumeier. Marty is a great introduction for anyone.

mondblut

Arcane
skyway said:
1C published the game, just like Paradox published M&B. Other than that SR was p. much made in a basement.

That's a typical startup model in Russia. A first game is produced independently, in free time/on own funds, and then it might catch attention of a publisher, who either starts funding the team to make the game reach professional level, or releases it as is and funds a professional sequel/next project (and then the lucky developers might get bought up as an internal studio).

It was the same with Brigade E5, it was being developed independently in spare time for about 3 years until 1C picked it and began paying for development.

I wouldn't call any of that true indie games. More like tech demos gone too far :)

S_Verner

Scholar
Hey, X-Com is much better than anything Bioware could put out anyway, why are we even discussing this?

Or has the thread evolved into some discussion of the nature of the market that we've had more than a hundred times as opposed to a discussion of the best game ever?

If so, I will insert my 2c.

S_Verner

Scholar
HOLY SHIT I SAW THIS EXACT SAME ARGUMENT ON /tg/.

You are all secret fa/tg/uys!

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
At least the thread didn't devolve into a discussion about Adolf Hilter.

Skyway was asking me for a good Indie game that I think deserves better sales. I just remembered one I can name, because I don't know them and they themselves have said in an article that it does not earn enough to pay living wages. Admittedly I read the interview more than a year ago, so their situation may have changed. Also I think their day jobs may be in the AAA game industry (I am not sure about that).

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space
http://www.digital-eel.com/games.htm

Its a 2D game with really nice art and I find the game play very addictive. The concept is you take your starship out on voyages and try to score as much points as you can, fighting and trading within a limited number of turns. I don't think there is a save game function, because most games last less than 20 minutes.

The concept is "Explore the galaxy...in 20 minutes or less!"

S_Verner

Scholar
You fuckers post on the Traditional Games forum of 4chan.

I KNEW I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I said failed not "not selling good"

Also

The concept is you take your starship out on voyages and try to score as much points as you can, fighting and trading within a limited number of turns. I don't think there is a save game function, because most games last less than 20 minutes.
Well I guess you just answered your question why the game doesn't sell.
It's incredibly short, close to casual mainstream and lacks any depth.
Better play Space Rangers.

(I've played it btw)

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
>It's incredibly short, close to casual mainstream and lacks any depth.

Ya. Its for people who like space games, but have grown up and are too busy to play long games.

This is another guy who started out years ago with a space strategy game but used to whinge in dev forums that it didn't sell.

His first game was StarLines INC and then he upgraded it to Starship Tycoon. I don't know how ST sells, but I am assuming it doesn't because it is not front and center on his site. I do know his other stuff does very well and has supported him fully for quite a few years. Democracy, Kudos, Rock Legend.

http://www.positech.co.uk/

His successful games seem to be management games that appeal to the mainstream non-gamer - politics, relationships, music.

I don't get any of his games. Why one should sell better than another is beyond me.

Eldritch

Scholar
Davaris said:
Eldritch:
I agree with most of what you are saying. However what I am saying is the real costs are beyond that which an Indie can afford even if they go "ugly" 3D. The only way it can be done by someone in their late teens or early 20s, is to get an artist who will work for royalties. As I pointed out earlier, they are rarer than hens teeth, because artist culture expects the money upfront payment model (freelance).

I don't know if you've missed it or something but the poster "Longshanks" in this thread gave you a really good answer concerning this dogmatic argument of yours. You do have an extremely narrow point of view on "indies". First of all, I don't think "late teens" just out of puberty with zero funds represent any realistic portion of the indie scene anyway. As for people in their early 20s which means they're already young ambitious people who've just finished or are still pursuing their education on the relevant areas they can use to make vidya games, they can usually band together as partners to work on something like the ones who made Mount&Blade. Armagan the programmer and the "artist" Ipek his wife whom he met at the university in Ankara they both graduated from. This scenario can commonly apply for the "20something people with zero funds" type of indies in the form of just a band of college(etc) buddies with different areas of expertise banding together to make a game.

"Pure" indies with no funding, semi-indies(teh unpure ones!) with little funding, people who're backed up by a small publisher who ain't mainstream or whatever. They can all easily have access to artists of varying talents. And it already gives me a huge boner thinking what wonders they will do with the more capable free/cheap graphics engines of the future!

I also heard Mr. Blakemore got his own artist for Grimoire by offering him a nice cozy spot in the bunker before the SHTF. So you don't always have to pay them with hard cash either.

Xi

Arcane
Eldritch said:
I don't know if you've missed it or something but the poster "Longshanks" in this thread gave you a really good answer concerning this dogmatic argument of yours. You do have an extremely narrow point of view on "indies". First of all, I don't think "late teens" just out of puberty with zero funds represent any realistic portion of the indie scene anyway. As for people in their early 20s which means they're already young ambitious people who've just finished or are still pursuing their education on the relevant areas they can use to make vidya games, they can usually band together as partners to work on something like the ones who made Mount&Blade. Armagan the programmer and the "artist" Ipek his wife whom he met at the university in Ankara they both graduated from. This scenario can commonly apply for the "20something people with zero funds" type of indies in the form of just a band of college(etc) buddies with different areas of expertise banding together to make a game.

"Pure" indies with no funding, semi-indies(teh unpure ones!) with little funding, people who're backed up by a small publisher who ain't mainstream or whatever. They can all easily have access to artists of varying talents. And it already gives me a huge boner thinking what wonders they will do with the more capable free/cheap graphics engines of the future!

I also heard Mr. Blakemore got his own artist for Grimoire by offering him a nice cozy spot in the bunker before the SHTF. So you don't always have to pay them with hard cash either.

While what you say is possible, reality isn't so optimistic. It's damned hard and doesn't happen often enough to be statistically relevant to the conversation. Graphical Indies are rare, and good ones even rarer.

crufty

Arcane
I would toss this line out as a potential root: time is the real enemy of the indie developer.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
crufty said:
I would toss this line out as a potential root: time is the real enemy of the indie developer.

There's a lot of truth to that.

You guys have no idea how close Rogue Dao was to closing a deal for a Planescape expansion for NWN2. We got past a dozen decision makers on it and one of the final gates just didn't quite open up.

But even with all of that happening, time was a factor in not getting there. I just ran out of money to support myself without a job while I worked on Rogue Dao stuff full-time.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So, it's safe to assume the aliens rpg has been cancelled? What's up with Rogue Dao by the way? They still working on that mod? It's been awfully quiet on that front lately.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Trash said:
So, it's safe to assume the aliens rpg has been cancelled? What's up with Rogue Dao by the way? They still working on that mod? It's been awfully quiet on that front lately.

It's not my job to comment on the Aliens RPG. I'm simply commenting on game development generally based on my personal experiences as an indie developer. Time is always the enemy.

However, that statement can be extended to most endeavors. Endeavors require momentum. Time steals momentum -- or at least makes the attempt. You fight time to maintain momentum.

Rogue Dao is still working on the mod, despite my inability to help them in any way shape or form. I just finished packing up the databases for the old forums to send over to the new managers of the team. I also need to repoint the domain names to their new nameservers (but I lost the nameservers so I need to call Andrew again -- it's been a busy week).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom