Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Akella to Develop Disciples 3

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong>

<p>After the deal with <a title="sss" target="_self" href="http://bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=63579">Game Factory Interactive fell through</a>, <a title="aass" target="_self" href="http://www.strategyfirst.com/en/">Strategy First</a> has opted <a title="sss" target="_self" href="http://www.akella.com/en/index.php">Akella</a> to develop the next game in the turn-based strategy series. The full title will be Disciples 3: Renaissance Fair and will revolve around you and your minions vying for power at the local fairgrounds.</p><blockquote><p>Advances in game play and the addition of new elements make
Disciples III richer and more interesting. The visual design follows the ominous
style of the Disciples world, but now all of the game environments and
individual units are in stunning real-time 3D.</p></blockquote><p>I wish they kept it 2D. I don't think Disciples art style could be ported over to 3D very well, without looking overly cheesy.
</p><blockquote><p>

Disciples III uses .dat&rsquo;s in-house Virtual Dream engine, which supports all
modern 3D technologies, and will initially feature 3 playable races: The Empire,
The Legions of the Damned, and the Noble Elves, each with its unique Unit styles
and city representation that will allow city sieges, and ending with a battle
for the main fortress.

The combat system will be significantly improved with the addition of new
elements. Though it remains turn-based, units will move on the battlefield using
an improved initiative timer-based system and more advanced interactions between
statistical elements that will vary the time of attacks and the order that units
take in battle.

At the strategic level, unit turns will also be affected with an initiative
factor that will dictate turns at the unit level and not at the Race level. This
means increased fluidity in multiplayer and less downtime even in single player.</p></blockquote><p>I don't like all this timer stuff. It might be a good idea in multiplayer, but I hate having clocks running down on me in singleplayer especially in strategy games.
</p><blockquote><p>

And there is another new element. In Disciples II, players could use magic only
on the Strategic Isometric Map. Disciples III allows a Lord to also use spells
on the battlefield. A spell utilizes mana (magic energy) acquired from
controlled sources and spell cards that can be bought or found.

As in previous Disciples games, troops receive experience in battle and upon
leveling, become more powerful and effective in a way that is dictated by the
structure branch selected by the player. Leaders get improved abilities and the
player can assign stat bonuses to their liking. An RPG-style system will be
implemented for the character advancement screen. Included will be inventory,
expanded stats and abilities, as well as a character model that will visually
reflect worn armor and equipped weapons and artifacts. </p></blockquote><p>Sounds interesting, but remember Akella also made Metalheart: Replicants Rampage, which I'm pretty sure violated several human rights treaties. </p>

LlamaGod

Cipher
Akella has made

MetalHeart: Replicants Rampage
Pirates of the Caribbean
Privateer's Bounty: Age of Sail II
Sea Dogs

Obviously they should stick with the boats and the cannons and keep away from RPGs and strategy games.

ALSO: WHERES THE FUCKING FUCK DWARVES? or the undead?

It's Human Empire, Legions of the Damned (Demons), Mountain Clans (Dwarves and Giants), and then the Undead. Fruity elves were added in an expansion.

Dwarves and Undead were my favorites to play.

And there is another new element. In Disciples II, players could use magic only on the Strategic Isometric Map. Disciples III allows a Lord to also use spells on the battlefield. A spell utilizes mana (magic energy) acquired from controlled sources and spell cards that can be bought or found.

As if having your Death Incarnate hero in the battles wasnt enough, you can now throw damage spells at them. Damn it, this game sounds crap.

Jason

chasing a bee
The Disciples art style was already cheesy to begin with so the 3D thing doesn't bother me. I'm more worried about Akella making a game that isn't super buggy. Didn't they do Sea Dogs 2/Pirates of Disney? Guess they did (looks above).

That timer talk is worrying. Hopefully, it's just something that affects initiative and not "you have 15 seconds left to make a move".

edit: They're saving the dwarves for one of the inevitable expansion packs. Disciples II had like 12 of them.

LlamaGod

Cipher
edit: They're saving the dwarves for one of the inevitable expansion packs. Disciples II had like 12 of them.

3, I think.

One did Humans/Dwarves themed campaign, one did Demons/Undead themed campaign, the 3rd added Elves and an Elf campaign.

Russians never do good with Expansions EVER.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Akella is a developer and a publisher. If Akella was making the game I'd be pretty confident. They're pretty good (Pirates of the Caribian was Bethesda's fault through and through). The reason you get crap games like Metalhearts from them is because they also publish titles from other European developers (often one of their "partners"). A lot is going to depend on this ".dat" developer.

No matter how bad this developer is, they can't be any worse than MistLand.

LlamaGod

Cipher
looking into it further, you're right.

Akella developed Metalheart along with NumLock, the game was published by Dreamcatcher.

Pirates of the Carribean was a total Bethesda fuck up, too yes. Jesus christ Bethesda is a horrible publisher.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Sea Dogs was a pretty decent game, but the sequel was complete and utter shit.

LlamaGod

Cipher
baby arm said:
So why is PiratesOTC Beth's fault and not Akella's?

It was getting finished and was Sea Dogs 2. Disney wanted to make a Pirates of the Carribean game but didnt want to compete with Sea Dogs 2, which anyone who's over 6 years old would play. Disney went to the publishers, Bethesda, threw a bunch of money at them and Bethesda made Sea Dogs 2 become Pirates of the Carribean and made them change the game to remove 'objectional content' and add in skeletons and shit, when it was near the end of its development.

A bigger version of what happened to ToEE, but on an even more bastardly level.

Also Bethesda's 'lets advertise the game like its developed by us' thing is incredibly annoying.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
I thoroughly enjoyed Disciples 2 so I hope Akella can make the franchise justice. Excluding the Dwarves or the Undead as playable races from the beginning while including the Elves seems to be a cash in on the typical hard-on for Elves in almost any "fantasy" game. Why not include the Swamp dwellers as a playable race instead? That would be a whole lot more interesting.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
They're probably purposefully leaving those races out just to put them in expansion packs and squeeze some extra money out of the franchise (which, let's face it, wasn't always a big blockbuster).

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Deacdo said:
(Pirates of the Caribian was Bethesda's fault through and through).
And whose fault was Sea Dogs 3(aka Age of Pirates:
Carribean Tales)? :roll:

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Has that game even been released yet?

I'm pretty sure Bethesda fucked up PotC by adding the license and having them dumb it down to fit said license or whatnot.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
LlamaGod said:
It's out in Russia, I think. Nature's beta testers.
Yes, it was released 4 monts ago. Gameplay is as bad as in PotC and the game itself is mostly unplayble due to bugs :?

Atrokkus

Erudite
Never liked Disciples overall gameplay. Particularily hated the battle system.

The only thing that I REALLY appreciated was art, as it was very beautiful and well-done in terms of coding (I love 2d+3d or well-done pure 2d systems, because currently i can hardly imagine a full-3d strategy game that would look equally beatuiful -- certainly not homm5).

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Disciples' battle system was the one where you couldn't move your guys, right? They had predetermined positions beforehand or something like that. I found that to be really annoying, but the system otherwise alright with me.

Astromarine

Erudite
did anyone else read that and translated it to "we've found that the HOMM game were simply better than ours, so we decided to release one of those." ?

Deacdo

Liturgist
Hamster[wh40K] said:
LlamaGod said:
It's out in Russia, I think. Nature's beta testers.
Yes, it was released 4 monts ago. Gameplay is as bad as in PotC and the game itself is mostly unplayble due to bugs :?
Really? That's disappointing. I thought it just came out this month and it doesn't sound anything like PotC.

sheek

Arbiter
What was wrong with Metalheart?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom