Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Age of Wonders Shadow Magic Mods

asongforsimeon

Educated
It's been an age since I played AoW: SM. Can you suggest me good mods for a new single player campaign playthrough?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
https://twitter.com/hellbrick

exe hack, mechanics changed a lot. There is also the unofficial patch, which would be the only other 'mod' i would inflict on myself with AoW:SM, because it's creatures are not out of place unlike.... well most every other mod, and is a baseline of the intended mod for most maps.
Actually, i never tried the MP ev patch so i'm not sure if it requires the UP too.
edit: yes it does.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
http://aow2.clan.su/MPEvolution/beta/changelog.html

To install and use you need to install the unofficial patch 1.5, then install the installer from twitter on top THEN (unlike the UP) you need to re-save all map files you want to play (including the main campaign if you want that) on their new map editor (open the map file, save, exit). Not the most user friendly.

edit: use the new execs to both save the maps and to play!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
BTW, AoW2:SM suffers from a 'mouse/keyboard lag' that gets worse on faster machines if the graphic card can't keep up. The actual underlying reason is that the game loop was badly miscoded and the 'game time' is getting out of sync with the rendering of the graphics (game loop doesn't care that graphics card is still drawing) OR because the graphics card is either saying 'ok, everything's fine' while it's actually still rendering (shitty drivers).
In both cases the effect is that the driver is buffering frames the game is sending to display later - So the mouse events (and indeed, everything that happens on the screen) is about 1-3 seconds delayed, depending on your CPU/GPU speed ratio.
So the cpu can be too fast for the game! Hope the guy fixes that crap. Non-code workarounds include slowing down the cpu (lol)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Anyone know a mod that lets you upgrade heroes like AoW1 in Shadow Magic? I had a modpack that was supposed to do that but it didn't work and it changed other stuff I didn't like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom