Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AD&D 2E Did Have Sorcerers

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I came across Diablo II: The Awakening which was published in 2000 by WotC as a module for AD&D 2E. In it they have the Sorcerer kit for Wizards, but adheres to Diablo II's version. It's quite interesting to see how they slotted Diablo II into AD&D 2E.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
FWetqOa.jpg

JiTJTAf.jpg

ayPDlfe.jpg
Losing Divination, Evocation and Necromancy doesn't seem worth it tbh.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I agree. I just wanted to share what I found that sorcerers did exist in AD&D 2E. Too bad it was an WOTC abomination. LOL

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't read this, but given that they're trying to emulate Diablo 2 and the nature of the sorceress spells in that game, I'd imagine that the Sorcery focus more or less replaces invo/evo. Also, since they're going for that game's feel, you can't have necromancy without overlapping with the necromancer.

Divination probably either doesn't exist in that world or is in the sphere of the NPC mages.

I'm not really sure why you'd want to do this at all, tbh. I'd probably just take the existing D&D edition rules, add an appropriate Diablo bestiary, magic items, and setting/storyline and call it a day. It'd be close enough without having weirdly limited character classes that are geared towards a pure h'n's dice rolling experience and at that point, why not just play D2 over LAN with your friends?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I haven't read this
I posted the screenshots. Maybe I shouldn't have spoilered them. I can't edit my post now though because my account is too new.
Divination probably either doesn't exist in that world or is in the sphere of the NPC mages.
The Necromancer isn't barred from Divination. The book lists several Divination spells, including Identify Item and True Seeing. Also, the Sorceress is only barred from Greater Divination.
I'm not really sure why you'd want to do this at all, tbh.
Ask WotC. They made the ruleset adaptation. Why does Monopoly: Star Wars Edition exist?
why not just play D2 over LAN with your friends?
It's for people who would rather play PnP. Didn't seem overly popular though.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't read this
I posted the screenshots. Maybe I shouldn't have spoilered them. I can't edit my post now though because my account is too new.
The Necromancer isn't barred from Divination. The book lists several Divination spells, including Identify Item and True Seeing. Also, the Sorceress is only barred from Greater Divination.
I'm not really sure why you'd want to do this at all, tbh.
Ask WotC. They made the ruleset adaptation. Why does Monopoly: Star Wars Edition exist?
why not just play D2 over LAN with your friends?
It's for people who would rather play PnP. Didn't seem overly popular though.

Yeah, I saw your screenshots and I skimmed it. My point was that it has preferred school Sorcery (see DIABLO spells). That's something else in the book that you didn't link. I would imagine that whatever those are are their mock ups of the D2 sorceress abilities and replace invo/evo.

Yes, because they figured there'd be a market. And you just said that it seemed like there wasn't one. Hence, "I'm not sure why you'd want to do this." Apparently most players agreed with me. Are you always like this?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
My point was that it has preferred school Sorcery (see DIABLO spells). That's something else in the book that you didn't link. I would imagine that whatever those are are their mock ups of the D2 sorceress abilities and replace invo/evo.
Yeah, obviously, but not Greater Divination or Necromancy. If you've played D2, you know Sorceresses can cast lighting etc.

Here are the pages you mentioned.
Are you always like this?
Do you always take people's comments personally? I'm not arguing with you, just telling you what's in the book.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom