Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Actually Good Tycoon Games

Mise

Not The Best Games
Developer
The Movies, I remember a young me loved that game. It was rough sometimes but it was certainly a fun tycoon game.
Prison Architect, it was a fun and novel game, at least when I've played it. I haven't had an itch to replay it, so yeah probably not a great one.
I don't know how much you can count Plutocracy and The Guild 1 as being a tycoon/business sim game, they certainly have elements like that, but I liked them both, the Guild is one of my top five games too(hopefully I can create a game similar like that some day, it's one of my goals)

Hellraiser

Arcane
Suprising that as a German JarlFrank you did not mention Jowood-published (developed?) line of autistic "Giant" business sim games. I always liked Traffic Giant and Transport Giant, defnitely something worth checking out if someone liked TTD. Never played the rest although Industry Giant (2) seems like something I should try.

I'll just quote my long old post regarding the games themselves, although one thing to note is that I didn't realize then that someone actually ported those games to newer OS and even cuntsoles (PS4 port of Transport Giant Gold, WTF), so the GOG versions work on Win 7 and probably on 10 as well (didn't try).

With the classics already mentioned ITT I'll mention my underdog bargain bin favorites from the days when there were PC game bargain bins that did not contain pure shovelware. I personally am quite fond of the two jowood-published (or developed?) autistic/german business sims of Traffic Giant Gold and Transport Giant Gold, they are not ideal examples of the genre but they satisfy my autistic side (I like trains and things running on tracks damn it!). Both were some of the better bargain bin purchases back in the day. Decent laptop games, at least back when they ran on laptops.

Problem is if you can run them on Win 7 or newer OS without issues. I would "demo" them first to check if they work and if they are your cup of autistic tea. The second one has a steam release, seems it has issues on newer systems and I also had them with my bargain bin copy.

Traffic Giant is a public transport economic sim inspired by the german urban public transport experience, only without simulating timed tickets (zone simulation only, although those are automatically defined and not visible). In particular I like the simulation of the population, where every building has a bunch of people who want to go to schools, shopping, recreation or jobs in specific places, and who bitch and rather make the Gretas of the world cry by picking a car if there are too many connections needed or if they wait too long. Also has a fairly challenging campaign with interesting objectives such as "transport 40% of school pupils" that I think are also varied either by difficulty level or they were optional objectives/achievements needed for medals (was years since I played it). My only gripe is not being able to build tram tracks outside of streets (can't build them on grass basically, although you can build train tracks there) and the fact it is restricted to 4 directions for tracks rather than 8 like in TTD (no up/down and left/right, just the isometric diagonals).

Transport Giant is a later game by the same guys and an attempt at outdoing TTD. While lacking the voxel (or whatever it was) maps with elevations due to having a flat isometric map or indeed lacking the terraforming tools of TTD allowing you to reshape landscape, it is a much more realistic sim, including elements such as inflation and economic cycles and loans that aren't OP, not to mention a fairly realistic cost scale (trains cost millions, bridges and tunnels are fucking expensive). AI is dumb as shit though, seriously, the railways it makes are retarded.

One key difference compared to TTD is that the passenger destination demand system from Traffic Giant is also here. One flaw is that apparently all rail tracks need to be in one network (you can't build two separate rail lines) unlike in TTD, you can get used to it even if it feels arbitrary. The campaign though is IMO worse than Traffic Giant, but the game is way better in sandbox mode and with random map generation (not sure if Traffic Giant even had random maps TBH).

The depots/stops can be upgraded with various "add ins" like say restaurant (has high fixed cost but gives good cash per customer serviced at station) and the resource chains I think are better than in TTD with way more resources IIRC and also seasonal production (ex. wheat farms only harvest in August or whatever). Particular the variety of goods cities might want delivered is very big and similar to TTD some resources are unique to the map type (North America, Europe or Australia). It is good enough as its own thing.

Those guys also made Industry Giant and Industry Giant 2 at some points but I never played them, those seem to be industrial conglomerate management sims.

Also they made Hotel Giant games, of which I never heard before I bought the whole package on GOG for pennies.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Which is the most :obviously: version of RCT going around nowadays? I was watching this video about the history of the series, and he recommends RCT Classic. But on the GOG page reviewers are saying that the interface is more appropriate for mobile devices than for PC. And I suppose it's €20 going directly into Atari's cocaine fund?

:keepmyjewgold:

Other alternatives from what I can see:

- Just play RCT1 and 2 vanilla from GOG.
- Get RCT2 and get OpenRCT2.
- Sail the high seas and get RCT3 (never played it, but heard it's decent).
- Ignore the mainline series and get Planet Coaster.

Disregarding all the mobile and freemium Atari shit, but it's fun reading about all the shenanigans that went down, I never knew. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom