Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Act of War.

Saran

Scholar
So, has anyone else given this RTS a go?

The story is a bit cheesy but for the most part it isnt all that bad, the campaign for instance is interesting if a little short, the three sides (U.S. Military,enough said, Taskforce Talon, who are a US special forces unit, and the consortium, a collection of eco,religious and political terrorists with a few mercs thrown in.) are each fairly unique in regards to how you fight with them, the U.S Military for instance has the best airforce and it also has some pretty decent tanks, Task Force Talon has the best infantry as well as access to the S.H.I.E.L.D unit, which is basicly a soldier in powered armour, while the consortium have a mixture of numbers and stealth on their side, they have stealth tanks and active camo soldiers but their main strength is in the number of rpg and ak soldiers they can pump out.

I cant really say how balanced they are in multiplayer since i havent really given it a go but the US appears to have a bit of an advantage, since they have decent enough regular soldiers in the shape of Marines and later on they also get access to Delta Force troops,so that combined with their tanks and their Apaches makes them the easiest side to play, at least in single player/skirmish.

When i said the singleplayer campaign was a bit cheesy i was referring to the cutscenes in between missions, the acting is terrible, imagine the FMV from C&C: Tiberian Dawn, now imagine if the acting was ten times worse and you'll get an idea of its crappyness, the only reasonably decent actor has to be the russian you meet during the london mission, vague i know but if you play the game you'll know who im talking about, and even hes a bit iffy.

But be that as it may, it is still a fairly good story, the locations you visit in the game are varied, some of the film scenes are pretty good, infact it sometimes makes me wonder if they would have been better off making all of the cutscenes CG and using the money they saved to hire decent VO talent.

While that might make you a bit wary i will say this, it beat the shite out of generals when it comes to story.(Admittedly, thats something that isnt really that hard to do.)

As i said at the start of this post its Just like Warhammer 40k:DOW in regards to the lenght of the main campaign,I.E: the campaign is shorter than a midgets fetus, but its a good deal of fun, and thanks to the FMV it brings back memories of the old C&C series. (I miss you Kane!)

So i would rate it as an ok game, but i would advise those of you that dislike C&C to avoid it like the plague, its also advisable to give this game a miss if your looking for an RTS and you dont own WH40k:DOW, a game that inspite of its "blink and you'll miss it" campaign is still great craic, especially if you have even a passing interest in the Tabletop game and its setting.

Ohh, and while i have had no problems myself, over on the Atari boards there are plenty of people complaining about problems with getting the game to work, apparently it doesnt work with certain makes of DVD drives, so if my shitty little review convinces you to give the game a go, i would check out the forums first to see if anyone with the same DVD drive as you is having any problems.

roguefrog

Liturgist
From the looks of it, I could have mistaken it for C&C Generals 2. I'll probably pass, or wait till it falls into the Bargain Bin.

Greenskin13

Erudite
DrattedTin is building me a new computer.

Yeah, I really wanted to play this game, but my video card won't run it....

I should start a paypal donation account for that.

Fez

Erudite
I had a try at the demo and it was OK, nothing special though. I didn't get to see too much of the embarrassing acting, sadly.

Talorc

Liturgist
roguefrog said:
From the looks of it, I could have mistaken it for C&C Generals 2. I'll probably pass, or wait till it falls into the Bargain Bin.

After playing the demo, I also very much marked it down as a game not worth Full Price, but well worth a purchase at Budget Price.

I read somewhere that apparently some of the sounds are actually ripped from C&C Generals :)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I thought the acting in Tiberian Sun was good. After all it got Darth Vader and guy-who-get-killed-by-Arnold-in-Terminator 1 in the leading roles along with Joe Kucan.

But yes, the acting in Act of War is horrible. Great game otherwise. No classic, but fun.

xemous

Arcane
haha its funniest game, they have a general whos about 80 years old, and he doesn't cool like real old general, but like some cheap actor. At the start they have two ceo's from two oil companies fighting over oil. They have this futuristic lighting system on the seats, would be annoying for the actors since it's always in your eye. I'm talking alot about movies instead of the game its because more than half the fucking game is pure movies, the gameplay up to were I uninstalled consists of moving troops around, - i managed to play 2 - 3 maps before i quit - and they just pwn everything that moves, then you lose control and another movie starts.
I couldn't even pick a team, i'm thinking this will be awsome since i can choose an oil company and duke it out cc style, base building and skill required with briefing at each mission, but its only one team. making an rts with one team is fucking stupid, two teams at least. Maybe if they didn't blow the budget and time on trying to make some interactive movie (interactive entertainment, they should make a electronics boutique - interactive entertainment - ebit) they could have (made an actual game?) balanced another team with some actual gameplay.

Any fucking idiot can play this from start to end, what happend to hard rts which required some skill.

Surlent

Liturgist
I played few missions to the part where I get to build base and attack with whole army. Like xemous said, half of the game you watch b-class movie. wtf, it's not ingame graphics (Dawn of War) or even animation (starcraft, warcraft) ?? Gameplay didn't seem very special either from the typical rts norm. All the RTS games coming nowadays, I don't think this will rise from the gray masses to be different from others.

xemous

Arcane
How the did rts go from TA and KKND, tostuff my mum can finish like dawn of war. Starcraft had entire genre for 8 years.

Last edited:

Fez

Erudite
DoW is all about the skirmish and multiplayer though.

The expansion will be interesting to see.

MarFish

Liturgist
xemous said:
How the fuck did rts go from hardcore shit like TA and KKND, to softcore 12 year old rubbish my mum can finish like dawn of war. Starcraft had carried the entire genre for 8 years.

Anything below 500.000 copies is a failure today. At EA, they don't even look at products with less than 3.000.000 projected units sold anymore. Hardcore is out. Mainstream is in. But you know that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom