Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress ACHTUNG! Codex! Let's survive Operation Star.

Phelot

Arcane
bump. To bad there isn't a way a mod could simply "page break" to another page.

Cassidy

Arcane
I wonder if trying to revert the disaster that began with D-Day from the German side, in a point they still had a chance to do so, would make for an interesting tactical game...

overtenemy

Augur
I wonder if trying to revert the disaster that began with D-Day from the German side, in a point they still had a chance to do so, would make for an interesting tactical game...

Well no overall. The war was decided even before D-Day, there was no chance for the Krauts to reverse it. But that doesn't mean that company level scenarios couldn't be set up in specific instances in which the Germans had a chance. Especially during a classic Montgomery blunder like Operation Goodwood. Still, I prefer Eastern front as a rule.

Fuck I've been lazy in writing this. Keep getting distracted and yadayadayada. I seriously played this like a fucking month ago. I'll try to be more prompt in the future.

Part 6: Kleckern, Nicht Klotzen!

l4jaH.jpg

The situation when I left off. Note the enemy has retaken Bespalovka because I couldn't station anyone in it. The failure of the Southern battle to happen last turn has left me with a bit of a conundrum. On one hand, doctrine states that I ought to keep the tanks together to always decisively outnumber and outgun the enemy at the vital point. On the other hand, I've only got so many turns to do shit, I'm behind on victory points, and I really need to get some shit done so I'm not the loser at the end of this.

SjpZ6.jpg

so I must put faith in qualitative superiority and divide my forces. One platoon goes south to attack a tank platoon on a big key point that I am almost positive has no friendlies in the vicinity. Assisting will be a formerly panicked platoon as well as one from the SSLAH to provide flares as once again this takes place during the night. Two tank platoons go Northeast to engage an unknown platoon, but bear in mind that battles include every square around the targeted square as well, meaning this battle will include Bespalovka and the tank platoon in it. Destroying that and claiming the territory ought to finally take the pressure off the sorely taxed infantry and open up a route to the Southwest to link up with the SSLAH.

hvHpS.jpg

So to ensure that the tanks don't leave the battle area, I move up dudes to all the points around it so the only way for it to avoid the upcoming battle would be to run to the Southeast. I want it there, and I want it destroyed so the company can move on with its life. When I move up Walkerstein I notice the other tank platoon south of Vah, so I ensure one of the platoons I move up is a gun platoon in case he's attacked by them. They'll be dealt with next turn.

MeOog.jpg

Surprised that Yurakov's platoon didnt attack. The only attack we receive is finally in the North where I've kept those dudes entrenched the entire campaign in anticipation of an attack that never came - til now. On the original briefing screen the force that headed Northwest consisted of recon platoons, one of which attacked one of the SSLAH recon platoons the first turn and was destroyed. I'm guessing these are finally the leftovers. For the first battle, the one furthest South.

fJjBA.jpg

Looking south into Razdolnoye. Pretty flat as well as open except for the line of trees and houses, but its also dark...I could potentially be blindsided by entrenched hull down tanks if I'm not careful. Good thing the SSLAH has artillery at its disposal and will be able to fire flares. With infantry to help spot I should be able to manage.

B2gCi.jpg

There's not much mystery here. They have one platoon and one valuable piece of real estate. I guarantee they'll be in Razdolnoye. The tanks in the front are tigers. Scheffler is in an APC is and is an air spotter, but he can't call support because its night time. Rather than risk him he simply hangs back because APCs are pretty fat targets for tanks.

NsSxg.jpg

First things first. Flares will be here in a minute or two.

i5o95.jpg

Lights us up quite abit as well, but meh - if they fire they'll give themselves away, and if they fire at a Tiger its not likely to be destroyed so that works I guess.

IQdGw.jpg

They're ordered in.

EVP2i.jpg

Passing the trees, a Tiger spots an entrenched tank and is ordered to face it.

iAkUq.jpg

The other lead Tiger notices one as well. Positions are as such. I wanted the infantry on the left up further, but they're taking their time.

yGjH6.jpg

The enemy looks like he's trying to run away. Twat. Some fire is exchanged, I don't believe the Tiger was hit.

dplGK.jpg

Can't say the same for this guy though. Not sure that hole is in an important spot however.

kEW5y.jpg

The tanks also fire machine gun rounds at each other, presumably to show others where they are. Can't imagine what the fuck else they'd bother for.

m9LZK.jpg

Tiger engaging the Valentine is hit in the turret. It sort of looks like a hole but there appears to be no real damage and I couldn't find the hit in the report after the battle.

40pU8.jpg

Tiger fires aaand...

WrdDt.jpg

A hit as the Valentine attempts to escape its deathtrap, perhaps realizing the futility of shooting it out frontally with a Tiger. Many rounds missed, and the ones that hit haven't damaged anything fatally. The Mathilda is destroyed soon after but the Valentine just keeps on trucking for now.

nm0r7.jpg

Then, amazingly, this happens. Look closely and you'll see the gun pointed at infantry.

0C1mU.jpg

Somehow during the flares both the infantry and tanks managed to miss this Mathilda, entrenched BEFORE the tree line. And it surprisingly missed the Tigers, since it didn't shoot at them. The infantry are immediately ordered away while Wohlmann, who recently destroyed the Mathilda is ordered right at it, along with all the Panzer Triples that have inexplicably lagged behind so badly. I was irritated by their slow progress at first and nearly had the Tigers wait for them but truthfully I became impatient. Now, I'm glad it happened.

CJPFG.jpg

One infantry squad is unable to escape unscathed from the debacle. Sort of surprised the tank managed to see them before they saw it, but my less than thorough recon is now costing lives.

DFgEE.jpg

Infantry has mostly disengaged while the Tiger and PzIIIs converge.

51Mcp.jpg

Tigers are sneaky. He suspects nothing.

10Gr8.jpg

Unfortunately, to actually HIT the Mathilda he's going to require some repositioning because the turret doesn't go down that far. Shucks.

tFqqG.jpg

Fuck, Mathilda has a close range shot on the Tiger now that its finally seen it, and from the side. I'm not really sure about the precise qualities regarding its shell vs Tiger side armor but its so close I can't help but to think nothing good would come of it.

SU7Ko.jpg

But strangely, he doesn't manage to get a shot off before I can turn, and the turret begins to face the PzIIIs again anyway.

f6J1F.jpg

Fire is exchanged. On their march towards the Mathilda, the PzIIIs have hit it countless times to no effect but themselves have taken no damage either. The latest shot by the Mathilda appears to be targeting the infantry accompanying them, which is just as well. I'd rather lose a few grunts than a tank.

J2VQG.jpg

But while that's going on, one of the PzIIIs is hit from the side - the side facing the trees, towards the town. There must be another tank there that the Tigers miraculously didn't see either. I was worried initially, but evidently no damage is taken. If you look closely, the hole is actually going through that metal beam on the outside, and no penetration is shown on the tank proper.

2BbER.jpg

Finally. This will be over soon.

UoFIJ.jpg

Holes begin appearing and its quickly abandoned.

C9p0D.jpg

Next on the list is the fucker who shot the Panzer Triple. Flares are shot and the Tigers are sent in, revealing a Valentine. No wonder the shot didn't penetrate,

2RSFX.jpg

It tried to turn and run, but under fire from two Tigers it is quickly abandoned as well, causing the enemy to retreat and the battle to end.

OSLoA.jpg

A victory? Impossible! Really, I feel silly for letting those poor infantryman down but it turns out not many of them really died.

IuJss.jpg

These are the only hits I'm able to find on any of my tanks. The hit on the PzIII didn't show up even as a hit that didn't cause damage or penetration. In this case, though it looks like there's a hole, the shot did not in fact penetrate the turret and the Tiger is completely fine.

ldMKo.jpg

I rage for a moment to see that there's still a Mathilda alive. But it turns out this is the one whose turret and transmission were damaged on the battle I lost in the first turn. It counts for nothing - the enemy platoon is destroyed.

zQGMo.jpg

These are shots by the PzIIIs that actually penetrated the Mathilda. Turns out they were capable of doing so once they got close. Of course, a huge number of their shells were wasted as they bounced off and those hits aren't shown here - I have them turned off. But it turns out it may have actually been the PzIIIs rather than the Tiger that took this guy out. Interesting.

Anyway, that was quick and easy. Onto something more meaty.

SMB30.jpg

The territory is captured and we're moving onto a battle against at least 4 enemy platoons against five of ours, including two tank platoons and a recon platoon. It's night once again but we have quite a few people capable of calling artillery.

P0j64.jpg

The key point here is Bespalovka, far in the Northeast. I'm heading there not so much to capture it but because I figure the enemy will deploy most of his units there to protect it. I've got them outgunned, and by the end of the battle I want the enemy tank platoon destroyed so the beleaguered infantry can escape from the trenches and trek Southwest to safety. More than likely what I'll be shooting for is causing the enemy to retreat and taking ALL the territory, but you never know. I'll be perfectly content with the enemy tanks out of commission. Examining the terrain, I decide to head East then hit Bespalovka from the South. There's no completely clear way to go, but this is the best way for the tanks to advance without getting ambushed in a forest or some such.

Vrbpi.jpg

To start, I'll have people who can call artillery facing North and East. They'll light up the enemy held territory with flares right off the bat. If anything is spotted in the North, forces there will attack and destroy it before turning and heading East to join up with the rest on the way to Bespalovka. I'm not particularly concerned about holding the square against counterattack. It's more about killing anyone there to cause the enemy to retreat more quickly.

BJROt.jpg

With the help of flares, two Tigers and accompanying infantry travel north and conclude no enemies are present. The keypoint is captured and they head back to join the others.

OFEeW.jpg

Nothing over here so far either.

51vZE.jpg

They key point here is also taken without incident. The Tigers are out in front, while a column of infantry advances along the road next to the trees ensuring no ambush will occur from that direction. The rest of the infantry and the more vulnerable vehicles such as APCs and PzIIIs form another column behind the Tigers.

BcEZS.jpg

Lulled into complacency since nothing was seen with flares in the air, I advance without care Eastward so that I might then assault this Rail Crossing from the south. This is where I expect to meet first resistance because the enemy is unentrenched and it has buildings to provide cover. Ambushes could definitely be set up here. Fortunately, I'm the one with the artillery this time. It's hilarious seeing the same places time and time again. In the original Achtung Panzer I fought many a battle at this Rail Crossing.

x9yhQ.jpg

Looks like I may have been wrong about where I first encounter enemies. Fucking Tiger seems to have driven right into the middle of them, probably got alerted when he ran some asshole over.

zOAEY.jpg

A hit of some kind is scored on the Tiger though I didn't see what did it, the details of what shit he's gotten into are still fuzzy.

oMtQo.jpg

Drove right past that bitch. Probably was a grenade. Assuming that what I've encountered is infantry, I have the tank simply keep moving so as to not provide a target for molotov cocktails that could set the tank on fire and force the crew to abandon it.

96bPZ.jpg

unfortunately, I'm completely wrong - there's anti-tank weapons and rather than stand and face them I've given them a clear broadside. Fuck me. I thought they'd deploy this somewhere else, where it could be more easily defended, and that they wouldn't have much left due to Krondorf.

XKQ2l.jpg

Meanwhile, everyone else converges. They've got targets in their sights and the race is on - who gets fucked first, the guns or Valker?

gybzS.jpg

Valker wheels around to face the closest gun that's aiming at him in hopes to deflects its shots.

OczJU.jpg

It begins. One gun is at least temporarily out of commission as an HE round kills or suppresses its crew.

kTouR.jpg

Wait, for Valker's ass is to the gun! What happened?

hcXoG.jpg

With the light from a round richocheting off, I can see Valker has been detracked. Fuck. But then, the gun to his ass is temporarily not manned, and the other one is definitely out for the count this time. I've seen mostly grenades thrown at it, but no molotovs which is fortunate. One gun still has a broadside though.

p3je3.jpg

Closeup of that gun getting hit.

L09Fo.jpg

Yeah, those guys are dead already, can we get the ones that are manning the still functioning gun now?

0xM5B.jpg

If detracking remains the only damage the crew ought to be able to fix it, though it'll take awhile and I'm not delaying the attack for it.

dyGJo.jpg

More enemies are sighted meanwhile. They're in the forest to the North. The infantry column I had moving up there spotted them. Good thing - these guys, unlike the last, won't have the chance to bring their guns to bear against the tanks.

u1sZH.jpg

The fighting among the bushes is difficult to follow. I've taken several casualties so far which is unfortunate, but I'd rather have a few guys get hit than a tank.

n8RdZ.jpg

Eventually progress is made and the enemy is destroyed. Only gun I've seen and its crew are done.

TF7s1.jpg

Things by Valker have finally cleared up and he's alive and well. With no known threats around the crew goes to work on the tracks. I leave an infantry squad behind to help spot incoming threats and deal with them as well. The rest of the attack will commence though, I can't wait around for one Tiger.

YeMXk.jpg

The attack goes on aided by flares over the crossing. Once again, infantry clear the forest while Tigers lead the way. Artillery spotters are brought forward to do a little preliminary bombardment on the housing, though I think I'll save most of it for Bespalovka itself.

IC98S.jpg

In the forest, Klemm comes practically face to barrel with an anti-tank gun before seeing it. Should've put more flares up.

ytikh.jpg

A tank is also spotted heading towards them from beyond the forest. Probably some infantry with it as well. A Tiger is diverted to intercept immediately.

5Jlie.jpg

This is taken care of without incident but the tank is still on its way. The infantry its moving towards are called backwards into the forest to try to hide.

p1hWB.jpg

The tank takes a few shots at our infantry as they retreat and presses forward. Meanwhile, a friendly tank has a shot on it but nothing comes of it for now. Need to get closer.

VixWh.jpg

Point is captured while Kluger goes on the hunt for the incoming tank.

W70Me.jpg

The infantry still have eyes on it but Kluger can't seem to get LOS. Some other tanks come as well to help ward off enemy infantry that might detrack or damage a lone tank in the dark.

bssLO.jpg

Like this guy right here.

DqOSq.jpg

Kluger's finally got a shot....

NXGi0.jpg

First shot doesn't appear to do anything oddly. From behind, at that range? Just fucking die.

WBLQR.jpg

He proceeds into the forest breaks line of sight, forcing Kluger to give chase. This is getting annoying.

2S5Xh.jpg

Finally takes another hit, sparks fly, but does this one do anything?

lbNhP.jpg

Looks like it.

FCzdc.jpg

It keeps rolling and setting grass on fire behind it. Hatches open, dudes come out, but I don't even bother finishing them off. Not worth the effort. Kluger turns around.

H12Lp.jpg

Flares go up as the attack commences on the communism shacks around the crossing but they're a bit awry and just light us up instead. They've had a little preliminary artillery bombardment as well but nothing too major. The tanks aren't in the lead here because less of a purpose is served by having them do so in the urban environment. I'll have the infantry first identify positions then moev up the tanks to suppress them. to have the tanks simply drive in first would be inviting molotov disaster.

2cvgY.jpg

Enemy spotted...artillery it says? That can't be right.

tcsMT.jpg

That icon indicates at least some of the enemy force consists of infantry. If they keep advancing up the road they ought to be easy pickings.

RRkAy.jpg

A PzIII gets a look down the road and dudes begin dying while the advance through the buildings continues. So far, they're clear.

aj72g.jpg

Turns out they really were wheeling up artillery. A bit late to really do anything though. Its spotted by the advancing infantry and isn't in a position to do much.

YGLYT.jpg

Except that. Fuck. The thing evidently had line of sight through the buildings and a round nails Ohlerich's APC, killing the gunner and disabling it. Too bad, it had a cannon on it too. Fortunately, Ohlerich himself is still alive. He can call in Stuka flights during daytime so I'm very glad.

no3OO.jpg

Meanwhile, back to Valker...while the crew works away at repairing the Tiger, an enemy tank is spotted. I'm almost glad he got detracked.

fMfVq.jpg

The crew has climbed back in and begin aiming. Fortunately, they're facing the tank already.

9Jq3e.jpg

Back on the Crossing front the anti-tank gun has been neutralized by fire from a squad, a tank, and an APC. Additionally, some Soviet infantry have taken cover in the houses and revealed themselves by firing at my dudes. But having done so they've exposed themselves to murderous shelling from the same tank that took out the gun, and they're quickly suppressed or killed.

9VGf9.jpg

Accidentally had that APC advance too far. He's sort of in the danger zone. But it works out - this is a better view of the tank moving up and dealing with the infantry holed up in the shack.

spuGc.jpg

While I was looking at that Valker finally scored a hit on this fucker over here.

xq6Bk.jpg

That's always funny.

s6LKm.jpg

It's worked out pretty well that Valker got detracked I have to say. I could probably learn something from this.

HCSKD.jpg

Artillery gets called further up the road on the assumption that there are more Soviets hiding and waiting.

cmYVa.jpg

cmYVa.jpg

State of the advance. No enemies known at the moment and there's a heavy weapon available to fire at any house they can fire at a vulnerable squad from. Once this is done, it's finally onto Bespalovka.

U3Jqj.jpg

I guess they actually counter attacked with two tanks - another is headed at the Tiger. Looks like someone ate his Wheaties this morning.

LQMeX.jpg

boQkU.jpg

Right in the turret.

0kC2Y.jpg

Infantry are sent ahead to finish off the crews before they pull back.

FKmjb.jpg

The infantry that previously advanced through the woods but was temporarily forced back due to enemy tank are not trying to catch up but are waylaid by some enemy infantry. Not sure what the enemy was doing - maybe supporting that tank counterattack that failed so miserably. But somehow they escaped detection til now. Hope I don't need them later for Bespalovka because they may be detained.

8nSlO.jpg

The three different groups of squads I've got now, for reference.

2WEOM.jpg

As Fuhrmann and company beat down on the infantry a cease fire is finally offered. AI probably wasn't amused by the tank losses. This bodes well.

pVhXR.jpg

But this doesn't! Fucking weak ass physics engine did this Tiger in. I didn't see it happen but undoubtedly instead of going around an obstacle the AI tried to go over it and well FUCK. My only hope is that if the crew survives the battle (they're currently alive) the tank will be recovered.

VfKBw.jpg

Bespalovka in sight! For everyone but retard fucking Kluger.

BiKdz.jpg

4hx6o.jpg

73RZu.jpg

NhlEy.jpg

Preliminary bombardment, just the way those Russian fucks used to do it to me. Of course, I'm sort of just guessing - but taking out any building is a decent bet. You can at least be certain if a building is destroyed that nothing is in it and plan accordingly.

zCJOo.jpg

As friendly infantry moves forward to take initial positions in the houses I'm rudely awakened by a shell from a Mathilda. No casualties yet. Fuck I was hoping they wouldn't have 5 tanks. There's probably another.

4WcbY.jpg

Tanks to the rescue but they've got some buildings to negotiate between first. Eichner is ordered to withdraw but takes far doing so. Predictable casualties ensue.

YItSS.jpg

Additionally some infantry are spotted in the houses just ahead of where the initial bombardment was. In fact, they took a few rounds themselves. It's a good thing - dudes in the area means they were more than likely shells very well spent.

m7fv9.jpg

PzIIIs arrive on the scene ahead of the Tigers. I could have, and maybe should have, held them back but I was in a rush because I had men under fire when I gave the orders. All units have lost sight of the Mathilda though.

bfzZC.jpg

Ah, there he is. I've got two PzIIIs coming in, one from either side, meaning the Mathilda won't be able to frontally face the both of them, and given that the shells will be fired at extremely close range penetration and destruction are likely.

19kvu.jpg

Cannon traversed...Mathilda seems clueless so far.

DWYSp.jpg

Nothing so far...first round nails it head on.

NTWL6.jpg

Turns to face other tanks but exposes himself to another, like I said.

j65xJ.jpg

Meanwhile bombardment has smashed many of the forward buildings. Time to move it forward near where the infantry were spotted in the communism shacks.

grX7W.jpg

Next rounds that connect do the trick.

UhvEy.jpg

Now the advance resumes. These squads will work up the houses that have been recently bombarded.

36Egg.jpg

One of the first still has some survivors apparently, though truthfully its good news, because once again the fact that there's a survivor in that middle house implies that they are dead in the surrounding rubble and that the artillery was well placed. He doesn't last long with the tanks firing at him.

LcPEw.jpg

As they move up to the houses that have been less heavily bombarded, they're ambushed by yet more infantry and take four casualties in this squad alone so far. A little careless - if I had waited and blasted more thoroughly this might have been avoided but with the objective in sight I'm a little antsy.

1QmLX.jpg

After taking two more casualties and clearing the immediate buildings I have Eichner take defensive positions in them and hold out for the tanks to get closer for better shots.

uHqS2.jpg

Meanwhile, Valker's track is reparied but evidently he has no fuel. Guess it leaked out - lucky thing it didn't catch fire or he'd be completely done.

NRC9F.jpg

Like so. This'll be done soon.

oYVea.jpg

Either some reserve infantry advances up, or the Ruskies realize their position in the houses became untenable as soon as the tanks noticed them and decide to leave cover. Either way, it's not a big attack obviously - won't be a problem.

WGsWv.jpg

Oh hey, look at this - the leader of a tank platoon can designate an area as a target. Before you could do it with tanks individually, now you have to use the leader and the whole platoon does it. A little odd, but...

mwlAu.jpg

I'm thinking that place won't be a problem now.

qQIJD.jpg

That line of buildings done, we come to another running perpendicular to my troops. Not much ammo can be wasted on account of it being limited and needed for future battles but a building here and there can go before the infantry are sent in...

vTn0U.jpg

Like so. I've been attempting, with little success, to shell this line of houses. Some shells have been accurate but most have not, so it won't be as devastated as last time. I'm hoping then that the majority of enemy troops are already beneath some smouldering wreckage and it won't cause me much more grief.

mmypV.jpg

Yeah, there's enemies...casualties taken once more despite the presence of tanks. Situations like this force one to be more reactive than active - I can't spare the ammo to destroy ALL buildings, so truthfully all I can do is bait them into shooting and destroy them afterwards, which sadly costs lives.

aUfnm.jpg

But hey, after the couple in that building die, the enemy retreats. That's good - I wasn't looking forward to scouring the rest of the map looking for any stragglers to cause a complete victory, especially since I have only 35 minutes left in the battle and my infantry are undoubtedly tired.

4UXhV.jpg

also wat, a truck, never seen one in a battle before. Wonder if it has any function?

E9Hl9.jpg

At least this thing is starting to see it my way. Casualties may have been higher than they needed to have been but they're perfectly acceptable. While the Soviet casualties don't appear extreme they lost a tank platoon and probably two anti-tank gun platoons in addition to whatever infantry got blasted in Bespalovka.

qz2Zk.jpg

Valker is pretty damaged looks like. Pillar, fuel tanks, and drive. I bet he won't be active again for the rest of the operation.

o5UfW.jpg

and here's why. The round that took out the fuel was 88mm...another Tiger. Fucker walks right into 3 AT guns and the damage done is by another Tiger.

fEbNs.jpg

This platoon took a fair amount of casualties but is still in working order.

8r3Lo.jpg

Turns out two AT gun platoons died, one infantry platoon survived, and two tank platoons died...I guess one was down to its last operational tank. And this vehicle recovery platoon survived - they were where the trucks came from. Wonder if they have any real use? I've never had them before.

jwFsy.jpg

And now for the last battle. I expect to outnumber the enemy but I'm not sure I can muster a very good force to front ratio while covering everything. I anticipate a surviving enemy recon platoon that has belatedly come East.

ox37Y.jpg

Deployment. I neglect the Northwestern front on account of the fact that they can't deploy along it, and if they choose to go there I'll probably be able to spot them with the dudes deployed South of it will probably spot them and I'll be able to compensate. No reserve because I have little mobility and everyone is able to entrench, meaning I'll hopefully be able to stop the APCs in their tracks without resorting to movement.

xlHnW.jpg

First thing I do is move snipers to a tall building where they can spot dudes and hopefully shoot them.

OzNO2.jpg

APC spotted quickly going West. Works for me - he's going to be running right in front of where I deployed my only guns.

RYy68.jpg

Captured German APC...worse news than if it were just a piece of shit Russian one, but it shouldn't be any match for a few field pieces and machineguns.

iYvAB.jpg

Another APC meanwhile heads in the opposite direction, East, towards my most poorly defended lines. That could be better.

0jIEs.jpg

Becker tries to call mortars onto it but no dice really. Since his path isn't completely predictable calculating the necessary lead can't really be done. Plus, a mortar doing real damage against it would be a pretty close hit and a longshot regardless.

XXmdt.jpg

Ah fuck, it shines its lights right on Becker's trench. I'd rather not lose him. He can call in his platoons mortars. No one else can. Plus, just sucks losing an officer.

DwrBG.jpg

Meanwhile the German APC finally comes into view of a gun.

ceJ63.jpg

A round is fired but the Ruskies do a sick wheelie! ON TRACKS!

7kCnb.jpg

The round seems to have hit short and the hatch flies open to release the infantry.

wES95.jpg

Back on the other front Becker manages to get away unseen and the APC rolls right by him, but not close enough for a good shot or nade throw. Schliefke's squad is ordered up - he's going to have to just approach on foot and take it out. I'm not risking Becker, and Tackleburg's just a supply squad with three dudes and no nades.

aPX5y.jpg

Somehow the guns lost track of the APC, but they continue firing where it was last seen. Sort of a good idea I guess but I'm not really sure we've got the ammo for shit like that.

ezftc.jpg

It re-emerges firing its machine gun and suppressing one of the guns, but takes a hit in return.

y5Gwa.jpg

Two in fact, and thats that - it's abandoned afterwards. Probably took out the engine.

MH9sw.jpg

Another disaster averted. Blind ass APC walks right by the mortar. I'd have hated to lose that. Schliefke's squad continues to stalk its prey, remaining undetected.

rKpnM.jpg

Line of sight is lost but hope isn't. Not a hard APC to track - leaves dead fences wherever it goes. Following the sights and sounds of peoples destroyed lawns will keep me on course.

Sc37W.jpg

Sight lost, last seen on road...but I bet its headed for the keypoint, Central Taranovka. I'll shoot there.

http://i.imgur.com/rXv6h.jpg

I was right. No idea why that shit is burning by the way, just is.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/hQpqe.jpg

Now they just follow the road, scooping up the keypoints that were lost by APC that got through. They're getting tired too.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rLgT2.jpg

Schliefke drops a subhuman but also takes a casualty...must be infantry from the APC. This isn't good - it's going to know we're here now.

5slEF.jpg

Yeah. They engage in a firefight in the middle of the street with dismounted infantry while the APC wheels around and hits them in the open. It could be all over for these guys. 3 casualties now.

weCNA.jpg

I'd written them off when wait...the machine gunner appears dead. And the very last survivor has managed to lop a 6x m-24 grenade at it.

HYo6U.jpg

That'll do! The entire crew is dead, even if perhaps the machine itself is functional.

XTS7X.jpg

As for the survivor, rather than shoot it out in the open he retreats to a house to hold while help comes, though more than likely the remaining visible Soviet is the last of them.

Uuvsa.jpg

The crews of two machine guns, both of which are still under repair, are ordered in to clear the remainder. Shouldn't be much.

MWuGp.jpg

They show up and reclaim the school. It's on to other things now.

nAtHT.jpg

After sending the machine gun crews north to make sure nothing else slipped by and got to Northern Taranovka, another dude is sent to make sure the Diana 1 point is secure. It's not. Going to have to take dudes off the line to investigate.

1Tkl1.jpg

Squads converge and reclaim the point...but no sign of whoever took it so far.

uhMPT.jpg

Oh wait, there they are - right next to the lone survivor of Schliefke's squad.

UliqT.jpg

But he takes the initiative and hurls a grenade!

0gxnK.jpg

It explodes and hits an unseen enemy...can tell his gun is dropped but I don't think he's dead.

wR0xr.jpg

He tries to kill the fucker but his aim is terrible.

bZrjM.jpg

Reward for bad aim. He himself is grenaded, and that's the end of him. Its hard to believe this is the same man who heroically destroyed the Soviet APC single-handedly.

IMPoh.jpg

An APC is spotted by the troops running towards where Schliefke's last man died. If it stucks to the roads it should be easy to ambush.

m5LzS.jpg

Meanwhile, one of the machine gun crews advancing from the Northeast runs into the APCs attached infantry.

YYEY6.jpg

The lead man tries to grenade the Bolshevik but is grenaded first.

xdY2i.jpg

What do you know? He's not dead, merely wounded and suppressed. If he could just get up and pick up his rifle he could finish that fuck off.

Mkzsb.jpg

Oshi DO IT DO IT

zWxmQ.jpg

The wounded man's aim is off and the subhuman rushes in to satisfy the blood lust of primitive man. Vicious melee attacks brutalize the air above the brave soldier's head!

sUUg1.jpg

But the Russian is a fast learner for a primitive and quickly decides that attempting to bat air at someone with intent to kill is not feasible. Alternatively, he actually strikes the crewman.

XYvXn.jpg

And finally our man falls over. Shit. Where were his squadmates? Slow fucks.

xvloH.jpg

As for the APC, I was too slow and it was too fast. Before an ambush can be setup its driven far beyond the buildings. Some fire has been exchanged and it knows we're here, but its driving away and can only fire forward. Squads are in pursuit. Engaged in open, we'd suffer casualties...potentially bad ones, but I'm willing to accept it in order to destroy the attacking platoon to clear the advance for these guys Westward.

gLLoP.jpg

Attempting to pursue the APC so far has been fruitless. It has an engine and we have only legs. Also, some infantry are screening it and must be dealt with before the chase can resume. However...

Jm1qi.jpg

I still have guys on the line to the West. I figure, this is probably the last of their crap and I can get on with my life after its destroyed, so they're ordered in to sandwich the APC and hopefully destroy it. Fortunately the Russian APCs are easier to kill the crew of than the German ones, and tend to inflict less casualties on me. But it still might not be pretty. Oh well.

dHMbX.jpg

While the infantry is being mopped up by the guys in the East, the dudes from the West finally come to the APC. Fire has been exchanged but strangely casualties are negligible...it's like its retreating or something.

xVkvg.jpg

As it drives past the squad a few grenades hit it. Looks like the crew is dead now if they weren't already.

cQibH.jpg

Lord that's alot of fire. It keeps driving on.

LtJGW.jpg

Leaves a cool trail as it does so.

CQboH.jpg

MOVE motherfucker! Christ!

Ev4Uc.jpg

This Aryan supergenius allows himself to be runover by an unmanned flaming APC in the middle of the night.

udNV2.jpg

Oh, guess it was manned. The final living guy finally decides that possibly being inside a flaming vehicle isn't all its cracked up to be and makes his escape, albeit a bit late. He flails about before collapsing and the battle is won.

DGD8h.jpg

Yeah, 17 casualties. There were some undocumented ones caused by the APC that I didn't manage to screenshot as it was rolling around everywhere. Not to mention Radel's one casualty, and the 6 from Schliefke. It could've been better but hell, it could've been worse. The main point here is with that platoon destroyed the way West should be open. With the platoons I've left entrenched and guarding Taranovka I will now advance Westward to freedom and victory points while the SSLAH runs around grabbing as many key points and killing as many Russians as it can. There were actually three platoons involved. Vah, a battalion commander, Stupin, who commands transport AIRPLANES? Fuckers got planes to resupply them the lucky bitches. I'm sad I couldn't destroy them or something, though I guess I couldn't...it's rather odd really, I mean, there's no airfields, so presumably the supplies must be dropped. So why do they have troops then? And of course the last platoon was recon, and they're the only one to have been destroyed. But they were also the key platoon here.

a4643.jpg

Das map. A large corridor is now open. I foresee having to split my tanks up even further which could potentially be problematic, but to achieve total victory in the remaining time it may be necessary to do so. Of course, I don't HAVE to occupy the whole map and kill all the Russians but if I can, why not? My biggest issue would be Soviet tank reserves making a late entry into the battle, especially if they're something that packs more of a bunch than a Mathilda.

http://i.imgur.com/5Fu0l.jpg/img]

Looks like victory is assured at this point. 19 of their platoons destroyed to our 2. We're still behind in victory points, but losses in men are material are now much greater for the Soviets. They had their chance to overrun my infantry in the beginning but they blew it. Failure to do so gave me a serious advantage when the SSLAH units showed. If my beleagured platoons has been wiped before then, I would have had qualitative superiority in the Tigers but serious numerical inferiority, and even with great victories the operation would have undoubtedly been a failure for me. But now? Barring any seriously jarring surprises this is probably in the bag.

Phelot

Arcane
:salute: nice update.

I love all the crazy physics like that flipped tank :lol: Did it survive? Don't know that I read about it later.

also:
udNV2.jpg

:lol:

overtenemy

Augur
Part 7: Mopping up

AwtP2.jpg

Things are looking good. I forgot to note it last update but the Tiger that flipped is back in service. It was abandoned because it was stuck but I held the ground it was abandoned on and it didn't take any real damage. All is well. Moving on, deciding what needs to be done is no longer a torment that takes me hours or even days. They've had it and the choices now become obvious.

HVhN3.jpg

This is what I come up with. The salient created by Vah and Yurakov has for some time appeared to be helpless. At least, they've stopped attempting to mount attacks. However, Yurakov has not been engaged by friendly tanks and at no point did I ever manage to severely maul a tank platoon without one of my own. I can guarantee he has no less than two tanks, but may even have three. As the infantry goes West to safety and keypoints, having Yurakov there constitutes an unacceptable threat to them as they may be caught in the open. Attacking the Soviets fleeing East is secondary compared to that. There, I assume a defensive posture, bringing down guns to sit on the keypoint and leaving platoons entrenched around them. In the South, the attack commences on a few unknown platoons. My own tank platoon is Valker, with one Tiger immobilized. Hope it's nothing bad like KV-1s, but I imagine it'll be cake. In the west, Frommholz and Zucker well go North when they're ready but they're still in a bad way and can't move.

WqxzJ.jpg

No counterattacks or anything. All is as planned.

QFFA3.jpg

The battlefield. I imagine that even though they're entrenched they'll still deploy in the areas with buildings for extra cover where necessary.

aRH2Z.jpg

A mass of tanks and infantry will roll up from the South. Infantry screens to the East will prevent the enemy from delivering counterattacks, and when the tanks get to the square they're East of, they'll join in the attack as well.

Vjw3a.jpg

First things first - get the flares called. Starting position gives a nice view for the spotters of the land ahead.

4JxRm.jpg

The advance gets up to the trees...and first enemy is spotted. Its difficult to see in this screenshot, but there's a blue dot up from the tank in the forest. It'd be interesting if the AI anticipated my attack from this direction because of the difficultes of attacking through houses with tanks.

wn3p9.jpg

To put it in perspective. I'll have part of the attack break off to engage. No enemy tanks so far.

http://i.imgur.com/1ezTN.jpg/img]

A Panzer III moves in and artillery is called.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/IKzQC.jpg

On the opposite end of the attack more dudes are spotted. Interesting, my attack was just big enough to go right through them. They'll be dealt with as well.

cttVz.jpg

How things look. The flanks of the attack are broken off to deal with the pockets of the resistance while the rest drive to a well-lit area and don't really encounter anything quite yet. Keypoint captured.

DCqbA.jpg

On the left the one infantry squad I have assisting the tanks comes under fire though I didn't have them firing initially in hopes that they wouldn't be spotted so easily but eh. Long shot. Two casualties so far, but the tanks are getting closer to suppress/kill.

jdMtf.jpg

On the other side, things go well. Russians die predictably.

TU3OW.jpg

And now in the middle, the attack crests the slight hill and finds another enemy trench around the center of the square/keypoint.

mJmQl.jpg

HE rounds on the house, gents.

HJxpm.jpg

On the right flank, I had the infantry stationed to the East begin to support the attack. Sadly, they've run into a trench pretty much facing them directly and the Ruskies are finally getting a good chance to return fire. The tanks aren't quite ready to mop this trench, though an APC further ahead manages to see them, turns around and opens fire.

viKRh.jpg

It helps - several Russians who were previously firing are now dead. As a side note, due to my poor management a commander who was alone in his squad due to casualties was picked off by dudes in the trenches. Normally this would scarcely be worth noting except that he could call artillery. Very poorly played on my part.

hyK15.jpg

After the trench in the center is overcome, the friendlies there are alerted by enemy cannon fire. Got a Mathilda entrenched up ahead. I temporarily withdraw everyone there until a Tiger is available to deal with it.

ig0xM.jpg

Fink arrives on the scene of the right trench that was causing problems. He is official sick of this crap and endeavors to put it to an end, starting with that poor bastard in the middle.

Dci4c.jpg

Braving the great unknown of Achtung Panzer trench physics he charges.

SvLz8.jpg

FfThL.jpg

Owned.

2pGKy.jpg

That done, the enemy on this side is mostly dealt with and they'll be joining the main attack just after...

UZI17.jpg

This.

cCZdM.jpg

How things stand. Everything appears to be clear. I begin massing infantry in the buildings north, in cover and out of sight on the enemy tank. The threat on the left is dealt with as well, but due to me not paying attention to it for awhile an entire squad of Panzergrenadiers was killed. Basically, they were ordered to attack, came under fire, but kept trying to attack because I didn't tell them to stop. I should have just let the tanks take care of it. Well, you can't always have a competent CO. Anyway, the Tiger and PzIII there are free to move up as well and move to the Mathilda's last known position.

3dqFe.jpg

He arrives but nothing seen yet.

Q1U9U.jpg

Ah, there he is. Appears to be backing out of the trench and firing at the PzIII that I had attack as well.

SwmC8.jpg

Takes hits, is dead - familiar drill. I was lucky that it didn't manage to damage the PzIII though.

WG4VI.jpg

The PzIII rushes impetuously toward the burning tank to kill its crew, but finds more than he bargained for. A Mathilda catches sight of him. I order him back, but will he make it....

ouJxu.jpg

He drives away and parks himself in between some buildings. Safe for now.

9AUem.jpg

The Tiger meanwhile makes progress and should come into view shortly...although I question the wisdom here. I'll be showing its side to a Mathilda at point blank. Granted, the Mathilda's armament is not very powerful but at this range who knows?

xMTFP.jpg

Oh, turns out maybe I'll be facing it forward. No problem then!

WuBwI.jpg

lolownedudied.

9BPS3.jpg

The enemy retreats after this and I don't even haev to continue the attack into the Northern square. I overestimated what they had evidently.

bjOej.jpg

Sloppy on my part, about 9 of those casualties were from the one squad that I let die, and I lost a commander capable of calling artillery. Still, the salient is pinched and another enemy tank platoon is permanently put down. Anyway, on to the next battle.

YmADu.jpg

The terrain is totally open. I don't know if they're entrenched or not but it doesn't seem probable because faced with no opposition previously I can only assume these units would have been advancing. There's at least two units involved and I don't know what they are at all. Could be infantry lagging behind - or tanks previously in reserve now speeding to the front. Guess I'll find out the hard way.

fjpAc.jpg

I set up to attack the protruding square from two sides, though mainly from the West where I've got the tanks. Both positions have an artillery spotter. One of the Tigers of this platoon is the ill-fated Valker who is immobilized. I tried to give him a good view of the square but he may not be able to do anything this battle.

Isp8X.jpg

As soon as it starts I call flares but...Stanzl and crew have already spotted a bunch of infantry directly in front of them. That's not good.

jxbeN.jpg

I uh...wasn't really expecting them to be deployed quite so closely. Bad call. Stanzl's only got one other guy directly around him, the rest of his flunkies died in earlier battles. I begin calling artillery with him and have him withdraw, while the friendly squads around him move up to hopefully draw fire away.

UyG88.jpg

His pal is already down so he seriously needs to get the fuck out of there, move you twat.

0ukwc.jpg

Dude managed to get out of there and the fights on. I find these guys are possibly ill-equipped to deal with what's in front of them. They're going to hold off and hope they don't take too many casualties between now and the time it takes for the tanks to arrive.

757Sd.jpg

Which might not be long based on the looks of things. The sound of the MG42s is deafening. Even Valker's getting in on this. Guessing the units were infantry then, and that this is going to be a quickie.

5vjP2.jpg

This starts happening back on the Northern side. They're saved! Probably. I hope. The Russians don't seem to be inflictng many casualties back and are now sort of milling about getting destroyed. It's odd.

Cts1H.jpg

The artillery is well-aimed and the damage done is huge, not just in casualties directly inflicted by the HE rounds but by the suppression of enemies close to the explosion but too far to be killed. Friendly infantry does an excellent job of mopping up the ones close to them, although it seems their numbers are too huge to truly diminish with any great alacrity.

ATVOA.jpg

Looks like after that beating they're retreating...but to where really? There's not a more defensible area anywhere on the battlefield. They really just need to retreat and give me all the territory to preserve what forces they have left.

YAOh0.jpg

Turns out, that's precisely what they're doing! I hadn't noticed the retreat initially and didn't take many screenshots but they're already done. The tanks had barely advanced at all. Valker still has enough line of sight to be firing on the retreating Ruskies. This battle was...disappointing. A real slaughter. I took two, TWO casualties, despite having that infantry exposed at the beginning, and inflicted 55. I wonder why.

rbAGx.jpg

This is why. The units were not only just shitty Soviet infantry, they're the crap de la crap - conscripts! The units are pretty large though. A platoon is 5 squads of 14. Would've been fun defending against these dudes coming in mass waves, getting gunned down. Anyway, one of the platoons breaks, despite not even suffering half casualties. Is nice.

pzP0L.jpg

Things are looking good.

GNh2j.jpg

uh, really good in fact. Only four enemy platoons are currently functional. There may be other survivors, but they're in the process if routing if so. Well, I have to say, since victory became a foregone conclusion some of the love has gone out of the relationship. Possibly the future updates will be more brief, for the sake of completion more than anything. Because we all know where this is going.

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
We all knew since 0day. That's why the game is crappy. :M

Now, what kind of version are you running? I dont have the x8 time increase. And my interface is different.

Phelot

Arcane
Nice update. It's a shame the game is... maybe too historically accurate? Is there a way to tweak the campaign to make it more difficult or balanced? It'd be nice if they picked operations that were historically toss ups as to who would win.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom