Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Achron - if we had attacked them in 2 minutes we will win some minutes ago

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me.

No if you want to have armies with more than five units or maps bigger than 5x5 tiles. Think logically about the number of combinations time travel introduces and how much data would have to be stored.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I've only watched a few youtubes), but I don't believe the units need to pathfind through time portals? I don't see how it's pathfinding is any more complicated than that of any other RTS with a high unit count.

I think its more about having to store every unit location on the map for the entire game for every single unit. So 100 units at 100 different locations every second? Every half second? Depends how much map is divided into locations and what are the minimal time units. BTW thats also every projectile fired. Speculating tho since I havent seen the game.

J1M

Arcane
Having micro in a game like this was a bad idea.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
This game is proof that gameplay isn't everything.

Their fundamental mistake, insofar as the problem can be traced to specific design choices and not a complete lack of worldbuilding, art design and storytelling talent, was ripping off Starcraft instead of Red Alert. Not only is three races overkill, spoofing RA is a perfect starting point for worldbuilding: It's based on fucking time travel and alternate timelines. A Hot Shots style parody would both make the best of their budget and give instant acknowledgment by RA fans. Instead of the dullest space war story ever told, you would have a fun and silly plot that fits with the central mechanic, say, a psychic rasta has to go back in time to stop an evil organization from amassing an army of Vampire Hitlers. They could have gotten their mates together and made some hilarious intermission FMVs ("Jeepers! I hit you with my psychic energy, mon!"), instead of...that. I've seen some bad storytelling in my time but Achron is the worst. Literally. It simultaneously made my eyes glaze over and my skin crawl. Not even Bioware could do that.

But that's not all. Achron has not just the worst storytelling of any game ever but also the most boring RTS units ever. In my version you would have:

-Psycho Rastas
-Neanderthals
-Tyrannosaurs
-Viking Berserkers
-Mummies
-Vampire Hitlers
-Mecha Hitlers
-Iron Ladies
-Napoleons
-Ninjas
-Maus and Ratte tanks
-Gandhis ("I'm Gandhi!")
-Einsteins

and anything else that would fit into this wacky (alt)history mashup. Basically one side with "good" historical units and one with "evil" ones. (I'll leave it up to you where to put the Iron Ladies.)

Oh, what could have been.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom