Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

About to try Genesis Rising

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Picked it up at a gamestop for $10, just gotta finish DL'ing the patch for it. It sounds interesting enough with the organic ships and "Suffer not the Xenos to live!" vibe. Anyone tried this before? Any tips, advice, etc?

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Here's my impressions so far. Graphics are purty, a lot of times I get flashbacks to Homeworld while moving the camera, zooming into ships and following them around. Doesn't seem to be a 3d environment though, maybe I just haven't figured out how to move in three dimensions yet.

In terms of difficulty, the game is very unforgiving. I've been stuck on the third mission for a while. I almost had it beat last time, but I THOUGHT I could hang around the area building up some resources. Apparently when the game says "Leave before reinforcements show up", it fucking means it.

Overall, the game still has my interest, and I'll keep at it. If anyone else has experience with this game, tips are always welcome.

Destroid

Arcane
620776.jpeg

Wtf

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Haven't seen it in game yet, but I believe it's a starbase for the bad guy faction.

(edit) my bad, its a starbase for the good guy faction. the thing behind it is a generic station in the background.

Witchblade

Scholar
I think i have this game lying somewhere in the back of my closet, unopened. That sshot has inspired me. I was going to install DOW2 as soon as i had finished Drakensang, but i think i should at least have a look at this one as well.

Please keep us posted with your impressions, RabidRN. :cool:

I had an unopened copy of it as well and this topic made me try it. It's damned hard, but also quite fun when you get the hang of it.

Try it out, you won't regret it.

Raapys

Arcane
I'm running into a ton of issues, even though I patched the game. For one, I get no 'invade' button after fitting the Invasion gene on my light fighter, and secondly my Drake missiles just won't fire, though the first short-range weapon works fine. Are these bugs, or simply a product of me using a not-physically-removed-from-inventory game?

Nvm, found out you actually had to hold Alt and then press the Invasion or Drake Missile icons to use them.

Anyone found a way to disable mouse acceleration though? Immensly annoying in this game.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
I'm on thr fourth mission now, called factory. You are charged with destroying an enemy ship factory, and as far as I've gotten in the mission, you're not given a lot to work with. I still haven't seen anything to improve my maintenance limit so I can get more ships in my fleet.

I have worked out a basic strategy though. After you take over an abandoned outpost, a nearby enemy outpost will send over some pitiful ships to harass you, however they do have new weapon genes to loot, so with a little patience you can beef up your arsenal a bit.

You are under a bit of a time limit as the enemy outpost will also launch a rather nasty missile at your base that does more damage the greater range it's fired at. And it takes a small but noticable chunk of health out of your base when it hits.

I was trying a strategy of using long-range bombarments against the enemy capital ships guarding the outpost, and it seemed to be working, however the game froze up, so I still don't know how exactly to beat that mission.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Found something awesome while going through the GR website forums. Seems the developers snuck in a PAUSE COMMAND in the latest 1.044 patch. Normally bound to the F10 key, you can change it in the controls setup menu to what you like.

Still stuck on the same damn mission tho.

I found that mission to be rather simple.

Just go and "bait" the large mothership type foe to your station (after having kitted your station out wit ha ton of weapons) and then move in your forces and take out the outpost. Change all your projective weapons for beam weapons after that and then attack the factory. It'll raise shields a couple of times, but your beam ships will cut right through that. Oh, and it spawns ships after a little while of attacking it, but they're of little concern.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Took a small break, but now I'm having a real issue with the factory mission I've been stuck on. Every time I destroy the enemy mothership, the game hangs with a "Insufficient memory 640mb"

The computer I'm using has 3GIG memory. The video card is an NVidia GeForce 7300 LE, possibly built into the motherboard. I've got pretty much all unnecessary stuff off (even ANTIVIRUS) and it still happens every time.

Am I not supposed to kill that mothership (Find that hard to believe).

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Finally got past it. I followed a suggestion from the games tech support board and lowered the graphics setting from high to medium, and finally beat the mission. Although another thread mentioned that crash usually occurs if you destroy the mothership when somethings docked to it.

Now if the game would just let me start making larger fleets, i'll be really happy.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Understanding the gene system is key to doing well in this game. I'll talk about the genes i've found so far, maybe we can get a discussion going on what genes are better to use.

Genes come in different categories:

1. Short range-just that short range autofiring weapons.

2. Long range-Missles that must be manually fired

3. Cripplers-debuffs

4. Boosters-Buffs&defensive abilities

5. Warps-no idea yet

6. Abilities-ship upgrades

7. Special-unique weapons, can't be player built

Genes come in levels. A level 2 plasma beam is better than a lvl 1 plasma. Genes can be stacked for an even greater effect, so 3 lvl 2 plasma genes make a lvl 6 plasma beam cannon. Also Every gene placed in a ship increases the ships max health, tho you have to heal it back to maximum.

What I've found so far

ABILITIES:
Speed-boosts ships maximum speed
Stealth-Ship is harder to detect
Harvesting-added to your resource collector, increases the maximum amount of blood it can hold by 400
Perception-improves sight range, better able to detect stealth ships
Invade-lets you take over ships and stations. More on a ship, faster it works.
Armor-better damage protection

BOOSTERS:
Purify-removes debuffs from ships, helps protect from debuffs
Embrace-protective energy shield

CRIPPLERS:
Hybernate-enemy ship falls asleep, awakens if hit
Beserk-enemy ship randomly attacks friend and foe

LONG RANGE:
Breeder-Damage over Time missle
Drake-Basic long range missle. Slow and easy to avoid. Packs a punch if it hits
Geneticallity:Long range missle, hits harder the further it travels

SHORT RANGE:
Bulletship-basic rapid fire autocannon
Longer-Beam weapon that does more damage the longer it hits a target
Plasma-powerful beam weapon
Swarm Missles-fires a barrage of missles

So far my impressions are the the plasma seems to be better than the longer beam. With a medium fighter, I've gotten to like having 3 invasion and 2 stealth genes, seems to be able to sneak in easily and start snatching a station.

2 harvesting genes lets your collector carry 1200 units of blood at a time, very useful.

Hybernate is pretty good for taking a ship or two out of action for a short time, but often they'll wake back up before Hybernate finishes recharging.

Discuss!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom