Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Sierra Retrospective - ongoing article series

WallaceChambers

Learned
I think that there's actually quite a few people who like traditional P&C puzzles. In my experience from introducing friends to the genre, the biggest issue is the anxious sense of thinking that they missed something several screens back, which is gonna happen a lot in a hardcore open-ended adventure game. I think that's why room escape adventure games are popular. The basics of the gameplay are exactly the same as traditional adventures, and some of the puzzles can be really tough, but you're always assured everything is within the one room.

I've noticed the same frustration watching the adventure game let's play series "Mostly Walking." Whenever playing an old school adventure, the guys have a blast at first. Then the game starts opening up, the amount of potential wrong answers increases dramatically and the frustration sets in. I think the balance general audiences prefer is either have complex puzzles or be open ended, but not both. Having a map screen that lets you know when you've collected all the key items in an area, like modern Resident Evil games, might help.

Also, yeah, the aesthetics hurt a lot of indie adventures. A lot of them look pretty bad, even within the realm of pixel art. In addition to that, I don't think most millennial or younger gamers enjoy that conventional fairytale fantasy look of King's Quest games. I definitely don't. I eventually came to appreciate those games despite how they look. So games that mimic that style are already limiting themselves to mostly older players, and they'd typically just replay one of their favorites over buying a new game, I'd imagine. Whereas a game like Fran Bow gained steam, in large part because of it's gothic/horror aesthetic that's a lot more popular (especially with streamers). Even a game that didn't even do it particularly well, like Sally Face, is surprisingly popular. Detention is another game that did well with similar aesthetics.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I do also find it humorous that "adventure game fans" are often quite unaware of the games coming from modern developers. With QFI - not a week goes by that someone doesn't stumble on the game and go "Whoa! This is awesome! Where have you been?" and I tell them the game is 7 years old!! But I do like that a retro game like that is evergreen - people can find it 7 years later and still love it.

Silentstorm

Learned
Yeah, that tends to happen with some niche genres, retro gamers not really looking into more modern games and thus unaware of the indie scene, and many just hate the idea that indie games tend to have a retro look to them because i guess they want every new game in a genre to be AAA?

It also has to do with retro gamers and those who grew up in the 70's/80's/90's being way more likely to only want physical copies, and a lot of niche games only have digital releases or a very limited physical distribution.

I think a lot of Adventure game fans also don’t really play other genres of games, so they’re not getting exposed to new releases via Steam, news sites, or forums like the Codex.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
https://www.audible.com.au/search?s...70c-1f146ffafb0e&pf_rd_r=A37C1JDHG916BZRXK1EK

the-journey-out.jpg

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Apparently Audible can't differentiate authors with the same name.

When I saw Ken Williams had a new book released, I was a bit shocked to find the above.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom