Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Look Back at Sacrifice

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Article ]</strong>

<p>Kieron Gillen has a misty-eyed <a href="http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?p=1215" target="_blank" title="Sacrifice retrospective">retrospective</a> about <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice_%28computer_game%29" target="_blank" title="Sacrifice">Sacrifice</a>, Shiny's RPG-ish RTS from a few years back.</p><blockquote><p>Sacrifice on the other hand had no future. It was an ending. It was the end of Shiny as a true creative force. It was the end of a certain period of PC games, where a budget to allow real production values was spent on something so self-evidently quirky. In other words, there&rsquo;s the nagging sensation in the same was as they&rsquo;ll never be another Nietzsche or Bowie or Amiga Power, we&rsquo;ll never see its like again. The world which allowed its creation is simply gone forever&hellip; and the future that Sacrifice tried to foretell was a more interesting one than the one which we got.</p><p>So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes, you can almost see the high-water mark--that point where the wave finally broke and rolled back. </p></blockquote><p>Yeah, ok, I added that last part. Is it just me, or do way too many game journalists ape Thompson every chance they get? It's either in serious moments like this or "Fear & Loathing in [insert expo/convention name here]" articles. Or maybe I'm just bitter because I can never remember how to spell Kieron Gillen's name. </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/">Gamasutra</a></p>

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Random journalist said:
That doesn’t just make me sad. It makes me suicidal.

Goddamn. Going emo because of a game. Sure, Shiny truly did what its own name implies, but that's pushing it. Well, at least he brings attention to a really good underdog.

By the way, what do you mean with "ape Thompson"?

Astromarine

Erudite
setting aside the emo wankery, though, I fully agree with what he's saying. Damn, now I want to install that game again..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom