Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A bit of incline (Hydorah)

catfood

AGAIN
Time to incline the world of gaming with some oldsk00l horizontal shooter action. Just found about this one in a Romanian gaming mag. It's quite challenging so I thought it might right up the 'dex's alley.

Looks good too:

hydorah5a.png

hydorah-5.jpg

It's also freeware.

Vitriol

Educated
Quality game, difficult and unforgiving. Definitely worth a try.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Jesus fucking Christ

GUYS STONE SOUP IS BETTER THAN EITHER OF THEM!!!!

(NB. have 2d shmups really declined? Maybe a little bit but I think they have been one of the more resilient genres)

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
On first playthrough managed to the middle of it but used up all save states.
Second playthrough, I went a little insane! in the water cave level. SRSL FUCKUP.
Bro of mine with whom I play Street Fighter beat it...

zeitgeist

Magister
Lord Rocket said:
(NB. have 2d shmups really declined? Maybe a little bit but I think they have been one of the more resilient genres)
All I've seen in a very, very long while are Japanese style bullet hell games, which don't really count. There was only one post-Tyrian Western/PC style shootemup that was even remotely decent - Jets&Guns - and that's about it.

Zomg

Arbiter
Do any of those jap vertical bullet hell shooters have a sprite for your dude that actually represents the area that can hit? Every time I see one you have like some 40x40 pixel ship and only the 4 pixels in the center can actually be hit, just make the ship a 4 pixel box faggot

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Western shooters were generally pretty average (with a few notable exceptions) so that's a yes.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Zomg said:
Do any of those jap vertical bullet hell shooters have a sprite for your dude that actually represents the area that can hit? Every time I see one you have like some 40x40 pixel ship and only the 4 pixels in the center can actually be hit, just make the ship a 4 pixel box faggot
That would make things more difficult, since you'd lose your ship in the bullets more easily when you look away from it.

So unless you can kill a bullet hell shooter on hardmode without using continues, stfu.

Zomg

Arbiter
I don't wanna, otherwise I totally could I bet :/

Still though they don't even like make the 4 pixel boxes of mattering a different color inside the enormous sprite of seeing in the epilepsy storm

total misrepresentation dude... total

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
touhou08reisen.png

You mean like the burning white dot with a dark red halo in the middle of the character? Yeah that's so hard to spot. You're one of those people that can't find the hockey puck without a highlighter aren't you?

See also: blue gem on a pure white ship in YGS2000, and glowing orbs in dodonpachi.

Zomg

Arbiter
DamnedRegistrations said:
touhou08reisen.png

You mean like the burning white dot with a dark red halo in the middle of the character? Yeah that's so hard to spot. You're one of those people that can't find the hockey puck without a highlighter aren't you?

huh, I never saw a gameplay vid for one with a display for the hitbox

fine, tell me which PC-available game is good for a baby's first bullet hell shooter then. I haven't played one since 1942 (or Tyrian but that doesn't count). I will develop a deep shame for sucking at it and come back with a profound respect for your hobby that will prevent me from trying to be a dick about it on the internet unprovoked

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
DamnedRegistrations said:
zqpuq.jpg

See also: blue gem on a pure white ship in YGS2000, and glowing orbs in dodonpachi.

Needs moar bloom.

Making the screen look like someone vomited sprites all over my monitor does not constitute compelling gameplay.

Zomg

Arbiter
I've watched videos of them and they don't strike me as mindless, you have to like for example if on a given screen half the shots track your position and half the shots are fixed patterns, you have to move in such a way that the tracking shots and fixed shots still form voids. It's not pure memorization like you might naively expect just from looking at it and remembering old vert shooters

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Thats how skyway does it...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom