Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Josh Sawyer at Hardbloxx

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Obsidian's Josh Sawyer has been a busy man since Pillars of Eternity was released, splitting his time between tidying up the game's bugs & balance issues and working on its first expansion pack. This short interview at German site Hardbloxx is, to my knowledge, only the second interview he's done in that time. It does have some tidbits of information about the expansion pack, as well as some reflection by Josh on the game's reception. Here's an excerpt:

Thomas: Are you happy with the feedback? What surprised you the most and what were the most frequent complains?

Josh: We’re all very happy with how it has been received. I did not think it would review as well as it did (it’s the highest-rated game I’ve worked on), but I’m glad people are enjoying it. The most frequent complaints focused on bugs, the lack of party AI, the shallow depth of the stronghold content, reduced combat challenge in the late game, and the pacing of the first act of the story. I think those were all reasonable criticisms.

Thomas: Which aspect of the game are you most proud of? Which was the biggest challenge to overcome during the production?

Josh: I’m happiest with the overall feeling of the game, not with any particular aspect. Our goal was to make something that captured the spirit of the Infinity Engine games, regardless of the individual changes and adjustments we made along the way. I believe we have both captured that and created a system and setting that we can continue to build on in the future.

Thomas: The next question is about the headquarter-system. Mid-game, the fortress will become less important. The keeper, the errand quests and even the attacks on the fortress will lose there scope. Two years ago, it was mentioned, that the headquarter would work like a quest hub and would play a vital part for many of the games quests. In your opinion, did this original vision come true?

Josh: It is a quest hub (for bounties), but even in our original design, it was supposed to be an optional system, not required outside of the first part of the critical path. I do think that the content in the stronghold fell short of what we wanted in terms of depth, which is the most common complaint I’ve seen from players. If we have a stronghold (or strongholds) in a future game, it’s something we are going to focus on improving.

Thomas: Could you spare a few details about the expansion to our readers? Will the expansion be integrated into the game like “Durlag’s Tower“ during the original “Baldur’s Gate”? Will players visit new, maybe exotic, locations? Are we going to see Fleetbreaker Castle? How far is the development of the expansion?

Josh: You’ll certainly be visiting new locations. Part of the appeal in an expansion like this is to travel somewhere outside of the base game. We’ll also be raising the level cap and adding new items, abilities, and talents. The development is going well. The environments, in particular, are really beautiful.

Thomas: Concluding this interview, here´s a question about your experience with the crowdfunding-campaign. Would you do it again and which significance do you see for the future of crowdfunding in the videogame industry?

Josh: I think we’d definitely do it again for the right project. Not all projects require crowdfunding and our fans simply may not be interested in some of the ideas we come up with. I think crowdfunding does have a future in the videogame industry. I’d like to believe, at the very least, that Pillars of Eternity was successful enough to show that crowdfunding can deliver a good game long after the initial excitement of a Kickstarter campaign has died down.

I also hope that successful smaller games (in terms of budget) can help motivate some publishers to be interested in this type of project again. The argument is usually that no one is interested in an older style of game. Clearly that isn’t the case. Smaller projects may not appeal to the biggest publishers, but I think there are publishers out there who can be good partners for this type of game.
We'll learn more about the Pillars expansion pack in a few days at E3. In other news, a recent hotfix has revealed that Obsidian are planning to make significant changes to the game's primary attributes and possibly implement party AI scripts for the game's next major update. I wonder if that update will coincide with the release of the expansion pack, or if there's still time.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PoE could certainly benefit from new content, because original campaign is too short and too balanced boring. I hope expansion will have something to do with pirates, because pirates are awesome! If not pirates, then give us at least something more original and not banal shit boring Dyrwood again. I hate that place.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Ha, I see what Bester meant about him not sounding like he wants to use crowdfunding again. I can imagine it feels pretty restricting.

Hegel

Arcane
Fuck you, Sawyer.

Chris-Avellone.jpg

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Sigh... Doesn't seem like they are going to make any worthwile changes to POE. Party AI scripts ? Oh common... The gameplay is shit, let's make it play without player input, that will solve everything... Streamrailling shit.:baka:

Well, there are others dev to bring the incline, so let's just forget Obsidian from now on.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PoE could certainly benefit from new content, because original campaign is too short and too balanced boring. I hope expansion will have something to do with pirates, because pirates are awesome! If not pirates, then give us at least something more original and not banal shit boring Dyrwood again. I hate that place.
I've heard a lot of complaints but too short is a new one.

Turok

Erudite
Sigh... Doesn't seem like they are going to make any worthwile changes to POE. Party AI scripts ? Oh common... The gameplay is shit, let's make it play without player input, that will solve everything... Streamrailling shit.:baka:

Well, there are others dev to bring the incline, so let's just forget Obsidian from now on.

If AI is comming to POE this mean "POE SE EDITION FOR CONSOLAES" a la WL2.

djkovrik, on 12 Jun 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:
Guys, I've found some interesting lines in PoE language files after 1.0.6.0617
whistling.gif

Some new lines in gui.stringtable:
Use Per-Rest Abilities, Auto-Attack (behaviour options?)
Defend Self, Defensive, Aggressive (behaviour types?)
AI script is Active / AI script is Inactive
etc.

as well as descriptions of some predefined behaviour patterns for each class in abilities.stringtable, example:

If Per Rest is enabled, the druid will cast Dancing Bolts, Nature's Mark, Talon's Reach, Insect Swarm, Infestation of Maggots, Returning Storm, and Stag's Horn as applicable. If Per Rest is not enabled, the druid will behave normally unless are Engaged in melee and reduced to less than 50% Endurance, in which case they will Spiritshift.

I wish that party AI editor is on the way!
banana.gif
But it might be just some testing stuff from devs
original.gif

And later:

BAdler, on 12 Jun 2015 - 8:04 PM, said:
We reverted those string changes. As some of you saw, we are going to make some changes for 1.07, but those strings aren't final yet. More info about 1.07 will come after E3 next week.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Blackstaff

Arbiter

If AI is comming to POE this mean "POE SE EDITION FOR CONSOLAES" a la WL2.

Most likely

Just my guess, but if it's true, maybe the parting between Avellone and OBS came from the cancellation of an MCA KS project that Ferg and the others judged too niche and not worth the slamdunk. That would go pretty well with the Facebook Avellone rant and with Sawyer's answers in this interview. They probably want to concentrate on their POE brand and go as soon as possible for the popamolers audience in the future.

Prepare for Pillars Of Eternity 2 : THe Aktiun rpeegee :retarded:
Slurp on it tomorow on your PS 4 :bounce:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since the post where I said this was moved to a thread where it lacks context I'm going to repeat it here: Grognards don't have to be your audience. Grognards are over. -- Josh Sawyer

"We’re all very happy with how it has been received. I did not think it would review as well as it did (it’s the highest-rated game I’ve worked on), but I’m glad people are enjoying it. The most frequent complaints focused on... reduced combat challenge in the late game... Our goal was to make something that captured the spirit of the Infinity Engine games, regardless of the individual changes and adjustments we made along the way. I believe we have ... captured that." says it all.

Fortunately the grogs have plenty of options to choose from to get their fix. It just won't be from Obsidian Entertainment.

Hegel

Arcane
The Grognards are those who funded and then bought the game. What the fuck are you on?

Last edited:
Weasel
Since the post where I said this was moved to a thread where it lacks context I'm going to repeat it here: Grognards don't have to be your audience. Grognards are over. -- Josh Sawyer

Quality baiting :lol: :salute:
Source?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Quality baiting :lol: :salute:
Source?

Roguey just made that up: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...disappointment-for-inxile.99877/#post-3968732

I don't approve of his trolling, but on the other hand, he's already posting in a thread where people are saying that giving PoE feature parity with the Infinity Engine games means it's definitely coming out on consoles with an action-RPG sequel

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Being honest, a console port for Pillars of Eternity or a streamlined Unreal-engine sequel wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
She's Romanian. Also, go post that shit in the TITS thread where it belongs (find more pics while you're at it)

Hegel

Arcane
Googled her. Oh, it looks like I'm acquainted with her director.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
IMO the most telling part of the interview is this:
our fans simply may not be interested in some of the ideas we come up with.

They want their audience/fans to be either dudebros or then hipsters who hates the gameplay, dudebros cares fuck all about what Obsidian does and if they really want the gameplay-hating pretentious hipsters, good luck with that, they're even smaller market than us "grognards".

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it does sound like that.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
If we have a stronghold (or strongholds) in a future game

Hmmm.

Fuck. You. Seriously. The stronghold was such a slap in the face that I can't even comprehend. The BG2 Strongholds weren't that FUCKING COMPLEX. It was just ONE QUEST CHAIN. Sawyer. You fucked up ROYALLY with the stronghold. It was shit. It didn't fell short, because it was already dead in the ditch. Stabbed before conception.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom