Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tropico Dictator Pack announced

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Kalypso; Tropico

Kalypso has announced the Tropico Dictator Pack, which will have Tropico 1-4 and all expansions/DLC.

TROPICO + PARADISE ISLAND– You rule over a desolate banana republic. Fight poverty, corruption and rebels. Take care of your people, keep them happy and establish your power with a strong military force. But don’t forget to stash a few dollars away for your personal retirement bank account.

TROPICO 2 – PIRATE COVE– Reign as reckless pirate king over your own island nation. You will have to keep buccaneers and prisoners under control whilst sending your ship off on raids to get more treasure. This unique Tropico sequel offers a completely new setting alongside many gameplay improvements,advanced features and scenarios.

TROPICO 3 + ABSOLUTE POWER– ‘El Presidente’ returns - seize power over the small island state of Tropico. Atmospheric like you’ve never seen before – a modern and detailed 3D graphics engine, an amusing radio presenter and many different buildings all add to the new ambience of Tropico.

TROPICO 4 + MODERN TIMES– Steer Tropico into the glorious future it deserves: Even as the most experienced dictator you will be kept busy with the giant skyscrapers,tourist temples, internet censorship and new super powers. Explore new buildings and face up to the challenges of the 21st Century.

No price has been announced yet, but it will be released on September 12th.

Eyeball

Arcane
Or you could buy Tropico 1 and maybe 2, the only worthwhile games in the series for like 5 dollars on GOG and save yourself DLC hell.

I bought all DLCs for Tropico 4 for 0.39 euros and I STILL feel like I got cheated.

Dehumanizer

Educated
Are you really saying that 2 (which, other than the pirate theme, is a poor game, you have almost no choices to make) is better than 3 (basically a 3D version of 1, which I agree was great)?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
4 is p. damn good cause it's 3 with some additional content. A pal got it for about 40 cents on steam with all DLCs because of a pricing error in steam, so he bought as many copies as he could and gifted me one. It's basically Tropico 3+

2 is generally considered to be the weakest of the entire series.

oscar

Arcane
These games look fun but I've heard the recent ones are very easy and poorly balanced.

Telengard

Arcane
These games look fun but I've heard the recent ones are very easy and poorly balanced.
3 and 4 (and presumably also 5) are so easy that it is hard to lose even when you set out to wreck your election chances and purposefully lose. Yes, it really is that bad. Those two are indeed also badly balanced, and I would go so far as to say they are as badly balanced as the other Haemimont games I've tried - Omerta and Imperium Romanum. In retrospect, Tropico 2, despite being a bitter disappointment, is overall a better game since it's not so broken and casualized as the ones that came after it. (Note: Haemimont did not make Tropico 1 or 2; it inherited the license from the two different companies who did.)

Still, assassinating one's political rivals never gets old, no matter which version you're in.

Whisky

The Solution
3 and 4 (and presumably also 5) are so easy that it is hard to lose even when you set out to wreck your election chances and purposefully lose. Yes, it really is that bad. Those two are indeed also badly balanced, and I would go so far as to say they are as badly balanced as the other Haemimont games I've tried - Omerta and Imperium Romanum. In retrospect, Tropico 2, despite being a bitter disappointment, is overall a better game since it's not so broken and casualized as the ones that came after it. (Note: Haemimont did not make Tropico 1 or 2; it inherited the license from the two different companies who did.)

Still, assassinating one's political rivals never gets old, no matter which version you're in.

3 is incredibly easy, but then, I never found 1 to be particularly challenging. The biggest challenge in it is getting buildings actually built in a timely manner to fix issues since the builders are not very good at doing their job (And god help you if you try to build an airport on a map that isn't perfectly flat.) 1 is still a classic that I'd recommend anyone play.

2 is unique, but I'd still say it's the worst Tropico simply because there's no real options for multiple play-styles in it. You have a chain of resources that you need to get in order to operate, there's no options available really and the game is more frustrating than fun. If you lose a ship, that's usually where anyone who plays it quits because the game is just so tedious to play. On the other hand, I've certainly put more hours into 2 than 4 or 5, which are shit.

Whisky

The Solution
On the other hand, I've certainly put more hours into 2 than 4 or 5, which are shit.

How does 5 compare to the previous games? What has changed?

Well, I only played 5 for a few seconds, so keep that in mind.

I felt that the time period thing was tacked on and the game didn't really feel that different. All it added was more restrictions without adding new content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom