Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kael attempts a 100 faction playthrough of Galactic Civlizations III

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Galactic Civilizations III; Stardock

100_ChooseFaction.png

Designer Derek "Kael" Paxton has performed an interesting experiment with the beta build of Galactic Civilizations III to show off some of the potential for it. He modded the build and played a game with 100 factions.

Dropping 32bit support was a huge change for Galactic Civilizations. On the one hand we know that it means that there is a percentage of potential customers that won't be able to play the game. On the other, we are able to do things we could never do before, such as play a game with 100 players, which is exactly what I did this week. The following is the results.

*** Disclaimer ***

The following if from a super early version of the Beta 2 build. You will see some bugs and partially added features. The most noticeable bug is that the font text looks a little wonky and isn't showing special characters. This is because we are rewriting the font code, some players had issues using DirectWrite (the old solution), and performance was pretty bad. The new font code fixes all of that, but you will see missing character and font alignment issues in the following screenshots.

*** Disclaimer #2 ***

I am a modder and I did this as a mod which required 3 new xml files. One to add all the new factions, one to add names for the factions and one to add new colors for the factions. I didn't go as far as giving the factions all unique planet names, icons, etc. Which would have been cool, but this is really just to put the engine to the test.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
64-bit is getting more exposure nowadays. I'm not sure this will be as important as the first came that required 3D acceleration, but it's nice to see some people pushing things a bit.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm happy with Windows 7.
i was happy with win7, then somebody convinced me to try win8.1, despite me passionately hating it from what i read about it. now whenever i have to fix somebody else's win7 computer, i am freaked out that win+s and win+x don't work and that it starts up so damn slowly.

Last edited:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Would love to see a 100 players multiplayer LP. Shame it will probably never get done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom