Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review US Gamer's Retrospective Reviews: Curse of the Azure Bonds, Drakkhen, The Black Onyx

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Curse of the Azure Bonds; Drakkhen; The Black Onyx

USGamer.net's Jeremy Parish did a few oldschool RPG retrospectives last week as part of the USGamer's "Daily Classics" series. Specifically, the games reminisced about were Curse of the Azure Bonds, The Black Onyx, and Drakkhen. I'd like to hope most people on the Codex are familiar with Curse of the Azure Bonds, at least (as part of SSI's famous "Gold Box" RPG series), whereas Drakkhen and The Black Onyx could be harder to place, I imagine. So here are two snippets on both of those. First, the unique "RPG missionary" Black Onyx:

By far one of the most effective efforts to bring Western concepts to Japan came from a Dutch game enthusiast by the name of Henk Rogers. [...] Japanese game developers were aware of RPGs and even dabbled in rudimentary forms of role-playing design as early as 1982. Those early efforts were fairly dismal by modern standards, with opaque mechanics and nothing even slightly resembling game balance. The spirit was willing, but the proverbial flesh was terribly weak. At least, that was true until Rogers came along to preach the gospel of role-playing games with The Black Onyx in 1984. Though hardly the most spectacular take on the RPG concept — it was essentially Wizardry with some modest mechanical tweaks — it was the work of a designer who had obsessed over the genre in his native language and understood the ins and outs of role-playing. In fact, Rogers' language problem mirrored that of his target audience: He understood the games, but not Japanese.

With the help of some native speakers, Rogers managed to cram a proper computer RPG experience into a format friendly to Japanese gamers. Released exclusively for the PC-8801 personal computer, The Black Onyx overcame a slow start (thanks in large part to an active PR campaign by Rogers) to become a bonafide hit, racking up impressive sales and a ton of awards by the end of 1984. In short order, the game made its way to a number of other systems, including Sega's SG-1000 console, where it received a visual facelift courtesy of future Phantasy Star designer Reiko Kodama. Just as certain Japanese properties have become far more successful in the West than in their native land — Metroid, Castlevania, and Sonic the Hedgehog come to mind — the reverse has occasionally been true as well. Lode Runner and Spelunker, for example, have seen far more sequels and far better sales in Japan than here in the States. The Black Onyx doesn't quite fit that definition, having been developed in Japan for the Japanese by a European designer, but it certainly serves as a sort of conceptual bridge. The franchise has long since faded to obsolescence even in Japan; due to rampant cloning by Japanese developers, only one of the two planned sequels saw the light of day as Rogers' Bullet-Proof Software was shut out of the market it helped create. Yet its legacy lives on.​

And here's something about Drakkhen:

Unlike Shadowgate, however, Drakkhen didn't give players a finite, contained world to explore. On the contrary, it offered an early take on 3D open-world design — one of the very first, in fact, predating Bethesda's The Terminator by a year. Given its pioneering status, perhaps it's no real surprise that it took its open-world description quite seriously; after rolling their party's stats and classes, players begin in a green field with sparse trees and details dotting the landscape. A castle appears in the distance, beckoning epxlorers to investigate, but beyond that Drakkhen offers very little guidance in terms of direction or mechanics, even if you partake of the optional tutorial Kemco added for the console release. As if its abstruse design weren't daunting enough for newcomers, Drakkhen seemingly reveled in surreality. Bizarre creatures would appear as you traveled across the landscape. At night, the stars themselves might begin to shift and twist, manifesting as a monster that would descend and attack. NPCs in fortresses and hideouts scattered across the land would share oblique snippets of information, but either by design or poor localization these tended to be confusing at best. The clues you would uncover along the way hinted at quests and puzzles that seemingly were never implemented within the game.

Drakkhen definitely feels like an RPG for experienced RPG fans, specifically those versed in the rules and expectations of computer RPGs. Unlike console role-playing experiences, Drakkhen offers no real guidance. It has no rails. It lacks convenient subdivisions of land to offer a hint that you're wandering into territory well beyond your party's means of survival, or even much in the way of pointers beyond a rudimentary in-game map. You're free to travel anywhere in the world from the outset, and you can easily encounter extremely high-level enemies with a novice party, a combination that practically guarantees a quick game over.

Most importantly, Drakkhen was mildly revolutionary for its time on a technological level. While many of its RPG predecessors had featured a similar free-roaming adventure, Drakkhen changed the camera angle from a top-down fixed perspective to a freely controlled point-of-view closer to the horizon, with scaling sprites for geographic features. [...] In its original PC incarnation, though, Drakkhen paved the way for countless games to come. Bethesda would follow up The Terminator with 1994's The Elder Scrolls: Arena, and Ultima would make a foray into free-roaming 3D exploration in 1992 with Ultima Underworld.​

I've got to say that Drakkhen has fascinated me for some time already, and it's definitely one of the more unique and "experimental" RPGs out there, so I'm glad to see it get some attention.

Parish also mentions TSI's upcoming crowdfunded Gold Box reboot in the Curse of the Azure Bonds article.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
USGamer.net's Jeremy Parish did a few oldschool RPG retrospectives last week as part of the USGamer's "Daily Classics" series.

I had enjoyed his retrospective articles when he was Editor-in-Chief at now-defunct 1UP.com. It's good to see that he can keep writing these things.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, I like his articles even if they don't go very deep. He does pick some good games, which shows his familiarity with both the topic and the audience. Wouldn't surprise me if he lurked here, too.

The Curse of the Azure Bonds retrospective is a little light on detail, but I'm glad they mentioned this:
Where the game really stood apart from Japanese and console RPGs, however, was in its sense of openness. The party must track down the forces behind the five different azure bonds that afflict them, and after severing the mandatory first bond the whole world opens up to allow the party to seek and destroy their other four mysterious antagonists. Far from being a linear experience, Azure Bonds grants a profound sense of freedom of choice at every turn ...
Non-linearity is one of the stronger aspects of many Gold Box games that tends to get overlooked. I enjoyed The Bard's Tale as my introduction to CRPGS, but it was really the freedom to explore in Pool of Radiance that hooked me on the genre.

getter77

Augur
It is a damn shame the NES variant seemingly forming the best of the best, as it were, for Black Onyx have yet to be fan translated or somehow frankensteined together:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Onyx

Maybe one day the retro remake bug will bite hard enough and it can get some revival action going much the same as Wizardry has enjoyed.

m_s0

Arcane
Reading a retrospective/review or two on the site is one thing, lurking on the forums is another. I don't think this is his kind of place. Not to mention that he probably hasn't got the time to lurk anywhere with his regular job at US Gamer, all the writing he does on the side and Retronauts. And you need time to wade through all the shit here.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Reading a retrospective or two on the site is one thing, lurking on the forums is another. I don't think this is his kind of place. Not to mention that he probably hasn't got the time to lurk anywhere with his regular job at US Gamer, all the writing he does on the side and Retronauts. And you need time to wade through all the shit here.

Fair enough I guess. Like I said though, by "lurking" I simply meant being aware of the Codex and maybe implicitly using its threads/articles as one of the reference points, not "wading through all the shit here" (which not even I do). Maybe reading a thread or two occasionally.

Don't see what's so ridiculous about that. When you're doing oldschool RPG articles, there aren't (m)any other places where you can find like-minded people or good reference points - for stuff like Goldbox games specifically.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reading a retrospective/review or two on the site is one thing, lurking on the forums is another. I don't think this is his kind of place. Not to mention that he probably hasn't got the time to lurk anywhere with his regular job at US Gamer, all the writing he does on the side and Retronauts. And you need time to wade through all the shit here.

What would you say if I told you the lead designer of Mass Effect 4 lurks or has lurked on the Codex

Crooked Bee

Patron

What would you say if I told you the lead designer of Mass Effect 4 lurks or has lurked on the Codex

lurks ;)

m_s0

Arcane

That I'm very happy for Prosper, and that Bioware are very lucky to have a man of such talent working there. Or whatever studio that's making Ass Effect 4.
Fair enough I guess. Like I said though, by "lurking" I simply meant being aware of the Codex and maybe implicitly using its threads/articles as one of the reference points, not "wading through all the shit here" (which not even I do).
You don't do it, because you've been around long enough and put in enough time/effort to know what and who's worth reading and what and who isn't. That's not obvious if you've got no clue what this place is like. I don't disagree with you about the research part, but I can see how a newcomer would look at some of the posts here and just not bother with reading any discussions after that.

But if he happens to be reading this: Sharkey needs to be a regular Retronauts host, dammit. Also: hi.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
I think you're overestimating the amount of effort it takes to lurk the Codex, but who knows, maybe you're right. Specifically, threads about older CRPGs are mostly pretty good and troll-free, so it should make for a p. smooth experience.

I certainly can't prove anything in this particular case, tho'.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
It's always pleasant to see a french CRPG reviewed. Especially one as innovative as Drakkhen.
The guy who wrote the scenario and the background manual was one of the cofounder of the first and prominent french P&P magazine (which is now deceased, I think) : Casus Belli.
By the way, I think the author is wrong and Drakkhen doesn't use the SNES mode 7 to render the sceneries, it is pure CPU-rendered flat shaded 3D.
And the game didn't originate on PCs but on Amiga and ST, I'm pretty sure of this.
Ok article in any case.

(And yes, lurking the Codex is a real part-time job)

Drakkhen definitely feels like an RPG for experienced RPG fans, specifically those versed in the rules and expectations of computer RPGs. Unlike console role-playing experiences, Drakkhen offers no real guidance.

I finished it on the SNES. It worked just fine. Problem?
:troll:

It's indeed a weird little game. Recommended reading:

http://www.flyingomelette.com/drakkhen/oddities.html

Keldryn

Arcane
Oh wow, Drakkhen. That's a game I haven't thought about in years.

I remember picking this up around the time that it came out on the PC -- and being utterly confused by and frustrated with it.

The game didn't seem to explain anything to the player, and I recall wandering outside for a couple of minutes, only to have the stars turn into a huge monster and wipe out my entire party. This happened more than once.

Challenging? Yes. Fun? No.

It did look nice on my then-new VGA card. This was fairly early in my PC gaming days, but I'm quite certain that Drakkhen was one of the first games that I sold. There were far better games out there in 1990.

Lerk

Learned

I'd say he's a masochist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom