Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Spiderweb announces Avernum 4

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Avernum 4; Spiderweb Software

<a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/>Spiderweb</a> has finally announced <a href=http://www.avernum.com/avernum4/index.html>Avernum 4</a> which should be available early 2006. Here are some <a href=http://www.avernum.com/avernum4/shots.html>screens</a> with descriptions.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Avernum is a nation underground. Its pale people live in endless miles of tunnels, pits, and gigantic caverns. Some come to Avernum to work the mines. Others come to hunt monsters for their treasure. And some risk life in the underworld because it is the only place where a person can be free from the total rule of the Empire.
<br>
<br>
But life in Avernum just became a lot more dangerous. All at once, everything has gone wrong. The savages and dark creatures of the lower tunnels, once beaten into submission, have returned. Gigantic beasts, shielded by powerful magic, have taken up residence in the cities, wandering and killing at random. And normally peaceful citizens have been afflicted by a strange, overwhelming paranoia, making even regular townsfolk unpredictable and dangerous.
<br>
<br>
Nobody knows why these disasters occurre. But you, through good luck (or bad), have stumbled upon a clue. And thus, you become involved in a shadowy war and a deadly struggle, which will take you through strange lands, bandit cities, and the darkest depths of the underworld. Your mission: discover who has attacked your homeland, and stop them. Before everything falls apart.
<br>
<br>
Avernum 4 is an enormous fantasy role-playing adventure. Wander a gigantic world, full of multitudes of characters, hundreds of side quests, and traps, tricks, and treasure in every corner. Experience the life of an adventurer: the fame, the wealth, the hapless townsfolk begging you for help at every turn! This epic tale is guaranteed to give you weeks of entertainment, with an impossibly huge world that dares you to uncover all of its secrets.</blockquote>Hopefully, Avernum 4 would do more for the series than GF3 did for the Geneforge games.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Kira</b>

corvax

Augur
Wasn't Avernum 4 supposed to use a new engine? So far it looks pretty much the same.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I guess much of the art is still placeholder - as has happened on previous occasions with early Spiderweb screenies. Still, I'm hoping for some kind of graphic revamp, but even more - for more gameplay options being integrated in the new engine - mounted combat, some kind of animation et c.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Dear god I looked at the screenshots.
It's a fucking RPG, asshole.

And whats so wrong complaining about shitty screens? Why do you think cRPG == "sucky graphics, gameplay only"? I dont play Avernum - because of its graphics. But that does not mean I am going to play DungeonLords because of its graphics. Graphics are as important as gameplay and sound - they make game together.

Why should I play game that have pure representations for objects? Eyes are given to see things. Use your immagination? Fuck it. If I wanted good RPG with no cRPG elements, I'd go for some PnP session or read some book. Thats way better use of my immagination than killing time with computer.

I dont think graphics of every RPG should be Gothic3/Oblivion/DL level, no, but I cannot stand that attitude "oh, you want graphics, well, then you SUCK". Fucking elitist assholes. What would Gothic be without its graphics? What would Fallout be without its graphics? WHy should it be crime to ask for nice illustrations?

That being said, though, market is one and only judge. If Vogel sell his games the way they are, he is right. I cannot argue. But I most definetly wont play Avernum4. Because of its graphics.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Kamaz said:
And whats so wrong complaining about shitty screens?
Here is an analogy for you: OMG! Quake sucks! It doesn't have a character system or dialogues!

While having some character system and rich story in FPSs is nice, it's not a requirement and an FPS shouldn't be criticized for not having such features.

Why do you think cRPG == "sucky graphics, gameplay only"?
Because usually there isn't enough time and resources to develop both properly?

I dont play Avernum - because of its graphics.
Your loss. Out of curiosity, have you ever played any roguelikes with ASCII graphics? Some of them are way more immersive than MW.

I dont think graphics of every RPG should be Gothic3/Oblivion/DL level, no, but I cannot stand that attitude "oh, you want graphics, well, then you SUCK".
Correction: only if graphics is the decisive factor for you. Then you suck.

Fucking elitist assholes.
Fucking graphics whore. :lol:

What would Gothic be without its graphics?
A decent game without graphics? See, that's the problem. "If it doesn't have nice graphics, it sucks". *rolls eyes*

That being said, though, market is one and only judge.
And according to the market Fable is da bomb!

But I most definetly wont play Avernum4. Because of its graphics.
Cool

Avé

Liturgist
Why are you so angry lately VD?

Miss having Rex to have pointless 20 page arguments with? :(

Vault Dweller

Developer
Angry? You must be kidding. According to the Codex rating system, my reply to Kamaz is an equivalent of first date's affection.

Avé

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Angry? You must be kidding. According to the Codex rating system, my reply to Kamaz is an equivalent of first date's affection.
Yeah, but you usually wouldnt dissect a reply like that, you'd just do a 1 line reply that destroyed his arguments and move on to arguing with rex :)

Jed

Cipher
Saint_Proverbius said:
Hopefully I can play it in a window. That's one thing I liked about the Avernum series.
Damn, I wish I would have known that playing through the first game. How do you set it up?

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
For some reason I can enjoy even the crappiest looking rougue-likes, but the avernum engine had always irritated me.

Anyways, this looks good, I just hope the combat isn't like geneforge as well.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Dumb question (possibly):

Weren't the first 3 kinda like remakes of the Exile games?
Does this mean that this is the first Avernum that has an "original" plot?

(Apologies for my ignorance, Geneforge is the only one I've played to any depth)

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
I hated Blades of Avernum's engine, even though I, like NeutralMilkHotel, have no trouble playing ASCII roguelikes.

Greenskin13

Erudite
DrattedTin does Denver.

I don't mind the Avernum graphics, though I was hoping that more people would try IVAN-esque graphics. I really liked the graphics in that game. Not many roguelikes allow you to see your PC marching down a dark tunnel, armor dripping with blood, sweat, and vomit. Still, I don't think I've let graphics alone prevent me from buying a game.

Sarvis

Erudite
Shagnak said:
Dumb question (possibly):

Weren't the first 3 kinda like remakes of the Exile games?
Does this mean that this is the first Avernum that has an "original" plot?

(Apologies for my ignorance, Geneforge is the only one I've played to any depth)

You are correct.

LlamaGod

Cipher
graphics matter lolz

even if you have a gameworld like this (and this isnt even all of Avernum 3):

friendlytownvalorim0vu.jpg

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Well, I don't know how many "screens worth" that is, but it looks HUMONGOUS :shock:

I might have a proper go at Avernum 1 (I like to do things in order).
How big is that in comparison?

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Well, how much of that map is quality and not trite though (I haven't played much avernum 3)?

I've been thinking about giving Avernum another chance as well.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
OMG! Quake sucks! It doesn't have a character system or dialogues!
That's a good point actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom