Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News King's Bounty: Darkside released on Steam Early Access

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: 1C Company; King's Bounty: King's Bounty: Darkside

ss_cf5ce2885f5f5633f869368d5aaf7221e9c856f7.600x338.jpg

King's Bounty: Darkside has been released on Steam Early Access. You can gain access to it by purchasing the game for $24.99.

Zeriel

Arcane
Played it a bit. Wouldn't recommend it at this stage unless you just love King's Bounty as much as inXile loves corridors. Basically imagine the samey-ness of the last standalone King's Bounty expansion, only with lots of crashes and poor game balance (which is expected, iterating combat and economy balance is something that happens late).

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
Will have to try out, then form a opinion. Metro pretty much, but its easy to get into. I have been playing KB Crossroads and WN more, then say Heroes 3 complete with Wake of the gods mod. So more of same in this genre is not a issue for me, kind of wish they would this with Star Wolves series or Space Rangers.

Zeriel

Arcane
So I played this one some more, and have revised my opinion a bit. I'd say it's on par with Crossworlds so far--much better than Viking Unicorn Buttsex of the North or whatever that last one was called, worth playing if you've been away from the KB formula for long enough for it to seem fresh. Writing varies between excellent and laughably bad/lazy, which was par the course for the original KB too. As far as bugginess goes, it's there, but I've been impressed with how quickly they're updating this thing on Steam. It's been at least an update a day, sometimes multiple updates within a few hours.

Difficulty feels a bit low, but that was a complaint I had with the series in general--with Katauri's original KB, the game could throw up some challenges even on Normal. As the series went on, it got easier and easier, until we're here, where Impossible feels like Normal in the original. Definitely play this on Impossible if you are familiar with Heroes of Might and Magic type games. Anything less is going to bore you quickly.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I played this one some more, and have revised my opinion a bit. I'd say it's on par with Crossworlds so far--much better than Viking Unicorn Buttsex of the North or whatever that last one was called, worth playing if you've been away from the KB formula for long enough for it to seem fresh. Writing varies between excellent and laughably bad/lazy, which was par the course for the original KB too. As far as bugginess goes, it's there, but I've been impressed with how quickly they're updating this thing on Steam. It's been at least an update a day, sometimes multiple updates within a few hours.

Difficulty feels a bit low, but that was a complaint I had with the series in general--with Katauri's original KB, the game could throw up some challenges even on Normal. As the series went on, it got easier and easier, until we're here, where Impossible feels like Normal in the original. Definitely play this on Impossible if you are familiar with Heroes of Might and Magic type games. Anything less is going to bore you quickly.

Oh God, I thought I was done with KB for good, after the long dreary slog through Ice&Fire, but you dragged me back in, damn you. I will probably get it once it's out of beta. I understand this Early Access shit is a handy business model for smalller devs but it's really starting to piss me off with how much of it is sloshing around nowadays.

Zeriel

Arcane
By the way,
rLSwz78.jpg

We've apparently reached the point in the series where the rehashing is so well-accepted that even the developers are cribbing on it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Thoughtless copies, indeed. Sums up the entire series (excluding the classics).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I bought this, been playing for a bit. It's better than Warriors of the north, but it has kinda the same major issue. It starts out rather fresh but by the midgame you're still using the same units and strategies as in all the other games, fighting the same enemy compositions as you fought in previous games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So I bought this, been playing for a bit. It's better than Warriors of the north, but it has kinda the same major issue. It starts out rather fresh but by the midgame you're still using the same units and strategies as in all the other games, fighting the same enemy compositions as you fought in previous games.
FarCry.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
FarCry.png
Yes, I really can't tell why I keep buying these fucking things. Or playing them start to finish.

Normally I'm a sucker for these games but the magic words "Early Access" seem to have cured my addiction.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I have to admit I'm not that excited about this - I enjoyed The Legend and I recently played AP/Crossworlds, which I enjoyed as well, but I've more or less had enough of this game after about 80+40 hours. I'm not sure I'll even get around to Warriors, to be honest - maybe in a couple of years.

Renegen

Arcane
The most important question is: How many spiders, snakes and skeletons do you have to slaughter in this one?

Are the new classes and stuff interesting gameplay?

Normally I'm a sucker for these games but the magic words "Early Access" seem to have cured my addiction.

actually only found a single borken quest so far and apart from a few major bugs that got corrected few days ago everything runs fine. crashes much less than release version of WotN :troll:

as for the game...just finished, p cool overall but I feel it lacks content for a KB game. guess it'll need a proper xpack again. also they did away with the boss fights apart from the last boss, and he/she/itz a joke

That's reassuring considering that Warriors of the North was released as Early Access in all but name. I dread to imagine the quality of WotN in a pre-release state.

Still... Early Access.

Nathair

Educated
Well runemages really were getting more than a bit silly in WotN :) No Paladins either I guess. Will be most confusing!

Sounds like it might be interesting if they do a decent job with it, which isn't guaranteed.

Renegen

Arcane
Well part of the fun was to use different units each run, I made use of Snow Elves in the last game (they suck btw).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom