Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #44: Patch next week, feature complete in three months

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

In today's Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update, Brian Fargo finally announces a timeline for the game's completion (well, sort of), and also a date for the beta's next patch...which turns out to be next Monday, on the 24th! The update also comes with two new screenshots, which I'm told are of the Prison area, which we first saw in the Gamescom demo back in August.

The comments from the early beta have continued to help us craft Wasteland 2 and the next beta update will reflect the changes we have made based on your feedback along with the many scheduled additions. We've made great progress on this beta update and are currently putting it through final balancing and testing touches: it will go live on Steam next Monday, the 24th. But I know the question on everyone’s minds (and tweets and Facebook posts) is “When will Wasteland 2 be done?” Of course there is always the glib answer of “when it’s done” but we owe you more detail on the process than that.

I’ve always envied when big developers like a Blizzard or Id were able to give such answers as there is huge correlation on iteration time and the final game quality. It’s why so many classic games stayed in development for the time that they did.

To date we have had a total of 2,300 bugs and suggestions (not counting duplicates) reported from the beta testers and from our outside compatibility testing group since December. We have fully addressed over 1,100 of these items including a host of compatibility issues. On top of that production is moving forward on all fronts, you will see in the next update we have a new inventory UI, new locations on the map to explore, changes to existing locations to add depth, destructible objects, more satisfying combat animations, more ambient sounds, etc.

I promise I’ll soon stop boring you with yet more statements about how great this process is but it truly has been invaluable. Having a large passionate group like yourself playing the game early assures we don’t miss any critical details.

I must confess that we dared to make an ambitious game. Wasteland 2 is big in every conceivable way, from the amount of writing, hours needed to complete, re-playability options, graphic diversity etc. One might argue that it’s more ambitious than it needed to be but from the outset we wanted to create a classic that would hold a spot in your mind along with the other top RPGs of our time. We know we have some big shoes to fill and we want to push the envelope for what makes a great RPG.

As we've said before we wanted to use the beta period to evaluate our release window. To outline our current plan: we will have the team working to lock down every aspect of the game within three months such that we are only addressing bugs. On the systems side of the game, over those three months you will see a number of iteration passes on combat which covers things like crouched stance, ambush mechanics, weapon jamming, special attacks, further UI enhancements, and a few surprises. On the skills we need to make several more passes on making them more useful or better message how they are working. We are adding AI to the remaining enemy types and adding the appropriate animations. Art wise we are wrapping up the LA maps and adding additional combat animations and particle effects to give the game more flavor. And most importantly we are continuing our iteration passes on choice and consequence, providing new options that come from the results of your actions.

We know better than to give an exact date at this point because in addition to pushing the game in the ways we’d planned, we’re going to continue to incorporate player comments that make sense for us to address. But we are in the final stretch, and are thankful our backers have consistently agreed we should take the time we need. Our current three month plan will create a significantly better game as we are in an important development phase with each week taking huge steps to improve the game. As we progress through this plan we'll of course keep posting updates to let all our backers know how the game's progressing. But do be aware the end of this three month plan does not represent the finish line, at that point there will still be work to do before we can release the game.

OSX owners will be happy to know that Wasteland 2 will be available for their platform at the same time as we're putting the beta update out. We're making progress on the Linux version and it will follow sometime after.

[...] As we mentioned in update #41 we are going to make the beta available for purchase to backers who don’t already have access in a limited time $10 deal. This will launch at the same time as the update. We will be doing another Kickstarter update on Monday with specific instructions.

And lastly we will be giving a live feed of the new features of Wasteland 2 via TwitchTV on Monday, February 24th at 11am PST (UTC 19:00). Please come watch us play if you want a greater understanding of the new UI and the subtle reactivity of the game.​

So, three months until feature complete? I guess that'll make the game a...release candidate, right? :smug:

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
Can't wait for release, not the least to see all the edgy tryhards on the codex be forced to eat their words when WL2 is the best tactical RPG since Temple of Elemental Evil, but with the added benefit of being far more stable, bug free and complete on release day.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm avoiding playing wl2, torment or PE until release. Why are people so butthurt about wl2?

hiver

Can't wait for release, not the least to see all the edgy tryhards on the codex be forced to eat their words when WL2 is the best tactical RPG since Temple of Elemental Evil, but with the added benefit of being far more stable, bug free and complete on release day.
If it does end up like that its not going to be because of stupid, brainless, idiotic scum shits like you are.

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
If it does end up like that its not going to be because of stupid, brainless, idiotic scum shits like you are.
Sorry, but do you post anything which isn't a pile of verbal crap? Welcome to my ignore list.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Sorry, but do you post anything which isn't a pile of verbal crap? Welcome to my ignore list.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOO

DeepOcean

Arcane
Fighting the good fight with you voice, dude?:lol:

We calling Wasteland 2 names have nothing to do with the improvement, right? Those fucking smug freeloaders...

hiver

Oh look, a moron is projecting - again.

what a fucking surprise...

GlutenBurger

Cipher
"Feedback from the beta has been invaluable. So invaluable that we're giving other people the opportunity to pay $10 to be equally invaluable."

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
another update for the sake of an update.
So?

I only read about the development progress in those updates, if at all. They definitely keep me informed as much as I want to be informed.
Somehow I think that is exactly their purpose - keeping people informed about the progress.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!

I like this one. it's a little bright, but there are some days that feel like that in Arizona even today, even without an appreciable percentage of the atmosphere having been scorched away. the color of light is critical for conveying that sense of totally dry desert heat. it's one of the things I always thought Fallouts 1 and 2 did best, and one of the subtler of the zillion reasons 3 was so wrong tonally.

we get nasty bright white days in Arizona, too, but I'll take a glowing yellow/orange/red desert over a bright and pale one any day.

"Feedback from the beta has been invaluable. So invaluable that we're giving other people the opportunity to pay $10 to be equally invaluable."

hey, man, if the motherfuckers wanna throw down, let em throw down. the higher the profit margin on Wasteland 2 the better the budget on Wasteland 3.

aratuk

Cipher
I'm sure it isn't lost on the marketing people at traditional publishers that crowdfunding + early access = endless return trips to the publicity well.

"Guys, we need to turn the development process into a serialized drama. Games don't just "come out" anymore when they're "done" — that results in a round of reviews that, whether good or bad, appear and disappear from the public consciousness in a matter of weeks. We can hit the news cycle with a fundraising announcement, and again when the fundraising is successful, and again with the early access release, and again with the actual launch. And there are bound to be lots of little points in between."

Richard Garriott was asked, when doing a Kickstarter for his new Ultima Online (or whatever it is), that with all of his conspicuous consumption, buying a ticket to outer space and all that, what business did he have asking people for money? He responded along the lines of saying the purpose of the Kickstarter was to create a "community" around the game as much as to raise funding. So, it was a press junket with the benefit of being highly profitable.

I'm very glad of the Kickstarter model making games possible that might never have existed otherwise, but I'm curious (and suspicious) to see what the traditional publishers might do to take advantage of marketing that you don't pay for, but that pays you.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I doubt InXile would pay people to post on the codex, no, it's kickstarter after all. Those Daedalos clones paid for the privilege of promoting the game.

Also maybe it's just me but the skill icons looked better when they were plain black.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
What's sadder? A paid shill by inXile posting on the Codex or an inXile employee posting like a shill on the Codex?

*discuss*

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
What's sadder? A paid shill by inXile posting on the Codex or an inXile employee posting like a shill on the Codex?

*discuss*
I think what's sadder are tryhard posers on RPG Codex who make threads hundreds of pages long for Mass Effect, Skyrim, Diablo 3, Dark Souls, etc, and yet still claim to be traditional CRPG gamers, or have the right to an opinion on anything related to real CRPGs such as WL2.

I even remember when this board split Console RPG's and Computer RPG's into two different subforums. I guess you guys decided "popamole" games and CRPGs are really just the same happy family after all?

lol, this forum is as transparent as a window, you can see right through it. The day I start regarding this shithole with anything approaching respect is the day I come here and don't see South Park: The Stick of Truth and shitty Action-RPG kickstarters like Deliverance plastered all over the front page news.

RPG Codex in 2020: "What's with this shit, another turn-based RPG kickstarter, these nostalgists need to go away, I remember the good old days with first-person RPG's and emotional engagement!"

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The skill icons did look better in black...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom