Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #70: Screenshots, Stats and Stuff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brandon Adler; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

After taking a break for a month, the Pillars of Eternity team is back in action with a new Kickstarter update, with all the graphical eye candy and gratuitous faux-Celtic we've come to expect. Have a snippet:

Areas

As most of you know, we finished up Od Nua (our mega-dungeon) in our last milestone. I have to say, I think it looks pretty amazing. Currently, the area team is working on our second big city, Twin Elms, and it is looking just as good. Here, take a look for yourself.

Ancient Engwithan ruins near Twin Elms.

Without getting into too much detail, the Area Designers are fleshing out the end of the game right now and everything is really coming together. The area in the screenshot above looks like the perfect place for a big fight, huh?

UI

Most of our UI has either been implemented or mocked up to an Alpha level. The interface that we would like to show you today is the character sheet, which shows character and party information. You can find lots of useful info on the sheet including various party statistics, your reputations with Eternity factions, and character stats.

The character sheet has many useful player and party statistics.
"+1 Elardh Dwr", just what I always wanted! Notice, by the way, that the roles of the attribute scores appear to have changed since the last time they were described.

That character UI looks so nice, lovly and warm. Reputation system may be interesting. I wonder how will folks react to somebody with an eccentric status.

Hormalakh

Magister
lol Infinitron. Are you trying to take credit for the concentration idea?
When you're fighting one on one, sure, but if we're talking about some kind of "lone tank boss" that you gang up on with your entire party, then the odds are much higher.

By the way, this mechanic kinda reminds me of something I asked you about a while ago: http://new.spring.me...236323633025078

Only in the end it's hit reaction animations, not attacking or dodging animations, that prevent a character from doing stuff.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh Sawyer once again improves on nigh-perfection.

Without getting into too much detail, the Area Designers are fleshing out the end of the game right now
Bodes well for not having a rushed-feeling endgame.

These banshee-like undead are the spirits of women who died under particularly tragic or traumatic circumstances.
I hope there are also spirits of men who have died under particularly tragic or traumatic circumstances.

We just recently moved to Unity 4.3 and, while this might not seem like a big deal, 4.3 has ushered in some long awaited features. Animation annotations, for example, were added to Unity. We can now call sound effects based on specific frames of animation. This makes things like footsteps possible.
That's weird, Shadowrun Returns has footsteps. I guess that was something they added themselves.

Goegoff

Educated
Whoever is responsible for that sheet was only concerned with aesthetics.

Kind of pointless nailing it all down, when even something as fundamental as attributes change from week to week.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
that Oldsong screenshot
asfailedontv_3670_1359432597.gif

serch

Magister
These banshee-like undead are the spirits of women who died under particularly tragic or traumatic circumstances.
I hope there are also spirits of men who have died under particularly tragic or traumatic circumstances.

Yes, but they don't cry or moan or shout the player dead, they use manly things like swords, hammers or fireballs. You wouldn't understand, babe.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Doubt there will be creatures based on "scorned men" or whatever tho.
Spirit women and banshee-like creatures are very common in mythology. They are scorned and betrayed women and their M.O. is to lure and attack men and steal away babies. You know, crazy bitch stuff.

We just recently moved to Unity 4.3 and, while this might not seem like a big deal, 4.3 has ushered in some long awaited features. Animation annotations, for example, were added to Unity. We can now call sound effects based on specific frames of animation. This makes things like footsteps possible.
That's weird, Shadowrun Returns has footsteps. I guess that was something they added themselves.
They probably used animation state (eg "is running") + timed cycles (eg "every x millisec") to play footsteps.
Surprising that Unity didn't have this feature already.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I pledged to this game, albeit reluctantly. I'm sure I'll play it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it to at least some degree. But goddammit is there not a single thing it can do to make me excited about it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They might have had an entire walking animation and sound just start playing at the same time instead of doing a fancy sync.

Direwolf

Arcane
The biggest problem I have with what they showed so far is all the names/places/fantasy things just sound so fucking gay. I made up better fantasy names when I was 10.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
At least this shows that Obsidian has a bit more eye for charactersheets than InXile. :smug:

AureliusMMXII

Educated
The biggest problem I have with what they showed so far is all the names/places/fantasy things just sound so fucking gay. I made up better fantasy names when I was 10.

I'm no linguist but it reminds me of the Celtic languages, more specifically Welsh.

I prefer it to things like Moonsea, Sword Coast etc.

But yes Welsh is often called gay, mostly because it is totally unpronounceable to anyone outside of Wales.

Stompa

Arcane
So they actually moved damage to Strength (Might) to shut up autists, good show from Sawyer:smug:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's because the names they use are not generic like what you are used to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom