Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Empires 2 HD: The Forgotten expansion released

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Age of Empires II; Hidden Path Entertainment; The Forgotten

0035096.jpg

Age of Empires HD's expansion pack, The Forgotten, has been released today. This expansion adds five new factions and four campaigns.

Five New Civilizations
◾Italians - Set sail to Venice and take the role as general in one of the Italian republics that emerged from the chaos after the collapse of the Roman Empire!

◾Indians - Put vast armies under your command, comprised of countless Camels and powerful Elephants.

◾Slavs – Even after the dissolution of the Mongolian Golden Horde, these icy planes of Eastern Europe still echo under the thundering hooves and countless boots of your soldiers.

◾Magyars - Lead the mighty Black Army over the Hungarian plains and command the fiercest cavalry forces that Europe has ever witnessed in the Middle Ages.

◾Incas - Lead your armies along the shores of Lake Titicaca, defend your wealth and heritage from the invading Conquistadors and erect mighty structures to withstand the test of time.

Four New Campaigns
◾Alaric: The trauma of the Hun invasion in the 4th century has shaped Alaric, the fearsome warrior king of the Goths. But can the beloved king secure a new homeland for his people in the territory of the collapsing Roman Empire?

◾Sforza: Always hungry for glory and wealth, Sforza wanders around 15th century Italy, offering his services to the highest bidder. Will he pick the right battles or make the wrong enemy? Take the fate of the young mercenary captain in your hands.

◾Bari: 400 years after the collapse of the Roman Empire, Italy is still up for grabs. Relive the tale of the port city Bari from the point of view of a Byzantine family, rising from the common soldiery to the nobility. Beware, for not only Bari is at stake, but also control of Southern Italy.

◾Dracula: History forged an incredible legend around the man who ruled Wallachia in the mid-14th century. Holding his ground against the vast armies of the expanding Ottoman Empire, his cruel tactics made him the most feared man in all of Eastern Europe. Shall his thirst for blood and the loyalty of his soldiers hold the Turks back for good?

catfood

AGAIN

catfood

AGAIN
Or you can just get it for free here: http://www.forgottenempires.net/install/

I wonder if it's the same content. Can Steam charge for something that is still available for free on the author's site?
Apparently the mod doesn't work with AoE2HD.+M
Of course not. You have to give Newell 9 sheckels for that. :smug:

BTW: what exactly does the HD version do appart from making the water uglier, offering higher resolutions (which were also available with a mod) and dedicated servers?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Never managed to get into these rts games. After Dune 2, Command and Conquer, Warcraft and the gazillion clones that sprang up I grew tired of the genre somewhere in the early 90's. The ones released today feel like reskins of those early ones. Talk about stagnation.

Eyeball

Arcane
AoE1 was great. 2 was.....just not that interesting. Fucking around in medieval times was just really tedious and overdone compared to the far more interesting "Cavemen to Iron Age" time period of the original game.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, AOEII is really the gold standard for me in terms of RTS games. I never really cared for AOEI.

Funny enough, I think it jumpstarted my interest in history, despite the campaigns not being entirely accurate.

Murk

Arcane
The original campaigns were alright; the true fun was in online play. AoE 1 and 2 were dope and the conquerors expansion made online play more interesting with better rock-paper-scissor combinations.

No clue how this HD business is or how the new campaigns would stack up. I keep forgetting there's even an HD version but eh.

The new walls and castle look like garbage tho; and is the rest just a pallet-swap of the typical euro-style? EDIT: and what's up with the dock built on top of the barracks near the east gate? Bleh.

what age 2 lacks in wololo it makes up for in:

catfood

AGAIN
AOE2 was decidedly the better game, no doubt about it. It improved every aspect of its predecessor and then some. But if I had to choose between 1 and 2, I'd go with the original. I liked the setting and soundtrack more, and nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom