Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Galactic Civilizations III trailer + website launched

Hellraiser

Arcane
It has hexes, that's definite incline sure, but the most important question is if they improved the combat which was rather dull. I also like how the boast about being a highly rated 4X series but if anything that is a testament to the absolutely crappy competition it had over the years. MOO 2 remains unsurpassed after all these years and I doubt Stardock will be the developer to actually deliver a new king of space 4X.

Agree, if it will continue the legacy of "awesome" GalCiv2, I'm not interested at all, as it was, boring, soulless and crappy. Even research sucked. Laser tier 1,2,3,4,5,6,7... :roll: No interesting space locations to explore, monsters to run away from, events, combat was shit, game was "slow" (with not much to do beyond clicking end turn) and un-fun. I'm puzzled that the game has so many fans. I couldn't stomach it, no matter how many times I tried.

What were its good points compared to MOO or MOO2?

Last edited:

whatevername

Arcane
Agree, if it will continue the legacy of "awesome" GalCiv2, I'm not interested at all, as it was, boring, soulless and crappy. Even research sucked. Laser tier 1,2,3,4,5,6,7... :roll: No interesting space locations to explore, monsters to run away from, events, combat was shit, game was "slow" (with not much to do beyond clicking end turn) and un-fun. I'm puzzled that the game has so many fans. I couldn't stomach it, no matter how many times I tried.

What were its good points compared to MOO or MOO2?
The planet and invasion interfaces are from MOO2. The rest is Civ-in-space.

Zeriel

Arcane
Stardock loves to pretend it can make spiritual successors to Master of Orion and Master of Magic, but their every attempt has fallen short in just about every way, so I can't muster any enthusiasm for this.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
They always seemed to miss the point of a 4x sci fi. I mean here's your chance for complicated aliens, gigantic space battles, strange technology, an awesome feel of mystery/discovery/exploration. Instead Stardock bastardizes everything into absolutely atrocious humor with aliens telling you shit like "We are evil so we aren't going to invite you over for a cup of tea harharHAR." Technology that reads like "You have researched miniaturization level 3... don't ask us how we managed to make things smaller again." Anomalies are +/- %1 to a statistic with no description at all. Fucking idiots made a spreadsheet and called it a game.

I did some playing of GalCiv 2 recently and yeah, if I had to use one word to describe it it would be "soulless". Or possibly boring. I'm not even sure what went wrong, but playing the game just feels like a chore, like grinding. Some of the things mentioned here already are probably part of the problem - lack of anything really interesting to explore, stupid forced humour and lack of tactical combat. MoO2 just feels superior in every possible way - better tech, better ship design, more interesting exploration (and without the need for those silly anomalies all over the place), much better ship combat, better alien races, better artwork.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They were unable to reach Master of Orion brutality, with common genocide option, where you slaughter 1 million population every turn. Bio-weapon planetary bombardment - turned it into a another option that reduces planet quality to shit - and MoO bioweapons were made right - kill population but leave structures intact. Diplomacy AI was very nice but was fuckedup due to idiotic "harharhar" and description text. Most of all they ruined combat - that degenerade rock-paper-scissors system turned combat and ship design into a boring tedious horror. Wach what weapons enemy has, refit all your ships to defend against that weapon type.
And such failures on every step.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom