Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Age of Wonders III dev journal goes into battlefields

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Age of Wonders III; Triumph Studios

The latest development journal for Age of Wonders III goes into detail on how Triumph Studios is visualising the battlefields.

For each location on the world map there is a corresponding Tactical battle map. There are a lot of combinations that can make up a location:
There are 5 unique climates: Temperate, Arctic, Blighted, Tropical and Subterranean. Each of these climates are made up out of a variation of terrain types: Fertile, Barren, Forests, Mountains and Swamps.

On top of these climates you have a large amount of structures like Nodes, Mines, Treasure/Visit sites and of course cities for each of the races. These range from small outposts to a large cities, with various upgrades including city walls.

To deal with all these variables and to create unique, great looking maps, we decided to develop a partially procedurally generated system. This enables us to create tactical maps with thousands of variations and an enormous variety.

The Maps are a combination of hand work, asset swapping, procedural algorithms and modular building sets. Level designers are able to pinpoint what obstacles will spawn and in which area. When entering the battlefield a random seed is generated to make the gameplay area unique but still controlled and in the proper setting. Assets are swapped across climes in order to reduce the amount of handwork in creating maps.​

Nice to see they seem to put as much effort into those as in the first game. I'm still amazed when playing the original just how many different battlefields there are. Literally every strategic maptile seemed to have a corresponding battlefield. Nice.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have no nostalgia for this series, but am still interested in what they will manage to pull off here. Could be interesting.

JANKOhrp

Novice
Sounds good. Unfortunately, many strategy game developers seem to overlook this absolutely vital aspect in their works. Varied and interactive terrain does wonders to long-term motivation.

catfood

AGAIN
No matter how good everything else sounds, I still can't get over the fact that they made flying units like in HoMMo. Such a darn shame.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
No matter how good everything else sounds, I still can't get over the fact that they made flying units like in HoMMo. Such a darn shame.

That and the sieges really rub me the wrong way. Especially now that I'm replaying the original AoW. It's a great system they had there that really didn't need bullshit changes like these.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The more I learn about this game, the more it looks like it will be the decline of a great (and probably my favourite) series.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm ok with flying units- I still remember spectacular faggotry of AoW2 and how everyone abused flyers to shit.

Absalom

That and the sieges really rub me the wrong way. Especially now that I'm replaying the original AoW. It's a great system they had there that really didn't need bullshit changes like these.
The first one had flying units, it even had the flying airship with a ballista that was the cheapest goddamn unit in the whole game. Whats wrong with the sieges?

I'm going to have to reinstall AoW now that you mentioned it

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Whats wrong with the sieges?
It will just be 2 armies lined up with a wall between them, unlike AoW 1/2 where sieges have a city enclosed by a wall that can be attacked from multiple directions.:decline:

Absalom

It will just be 2 armies lined up with a wall between them, unlike AoW 1/2 where sieges have a city enclosed by a wall that can be attacked from multiple directions.:decline:
Oh wow.

I was actually excited for this :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom