Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The First Development Diary for Crusader Kings II DLC: The Old Gods is Out

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Tags: Crusader Kings II; Paradox Interactive; The Old Gods

Today has seen the release of the first new development diary, and in total there will be seven of them. The diary can be found here.

The biggest new information is that the different Pagan religions will have different gameplay mechanics, allaying some fears that they will all be thrown in with the same system.

Playing a pagan chieftain is at least as different as playing a Muslim. Not only that, there are significant differences between the various heathen religions. Some are aggressive in nature, like the Norse and Tengri beliefs, and some are more defensive, like the Finno-Ugric faith. For example, the warlike Norse will suffer a prestige loss for being at peace for too long, and will need to wage war or set sail to pillage and loot. The Finns don't have this problem, but on the other hand, their vassals will dislike having their troops raised (like Christians). Some faiths get defensive bonuses and larger garrisons in their homelands, some don't, etc. However, they can all potentially be reformed to withstand the allure of the new religions.​

The most interesting mechanic for me is the reformation of religions and I'd love to hear more about that.

Furthermore it has been confirmed that some rivers will be traversable by ship. It'll be interesting to see if the AI uses it.

Crusader Kings II: Old Gods Teaser Trailer

Should I update this news post weekly? Does your purchase depend on information released in these development diaries? Please post your thoughts on our forum.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Nice. Was wondering why they kept so quiet for so long on this one. Seems it's going to be rather meaty and a rather exciting period to play around in. If the Pagan AI gets set to go to war a lot because of those special modifiers you can also potentially look forward to a rather interesting game. Especially when holdings can now be actually damaged or destroyed as they said earlier. Plus I was wondering if they were going to do something special regarding those wacky Norseman habit of sailing up river to sack places like, oh, Paris. Looking forward to this.

Regarding updates, IDtenT. Just make new newsposts of them as they come along and are interesting enough. That way they actually show up on the frontpage instead of disappearing down the line as other news gets posted.

EDIT: Those screens really do look promising. Loot!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Might have to start playing CK2 when this comes out!

I'm delaying my next playthrough as well. Have always played with Galicia/Portugal but this is the ideal opportunity to try something new, Vikings!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom